Were Pubs Better In The 60s??

If he moves to Sheffield im moving to Fife

:hihi: ^^ Am moving next door tae ye :love:

I'm starting to realise why hadrian employed all them bricklayers now.

I'm starting to realise why hadrian employed all them bricklayers now.

:hihi: ^^ Mind ye there are quite a number of English folks here also , one across road fae me the now ;)

and been here for many years ..

:hihi: ^^ Mind ye there are quite a number of English folks here also , one across road fae me the now ;)

would he be the bloke whats been buying all the earplugs on ebay?

Can't say as only started going in, in the 70's but were a lot cheaper, I'd probably say yes as won't have changed too much between 60's & 70's. Now days they are for ponces & chavs & wildly overpriced, but that's the UK we pay highest taxes in Europe.

Love it....

Larky's post should be nominated "post of the month".

In my humble opinion the answer is definately yes take the quality of the beer for a start,back then most bitter beers were good Stones,Wards,Tetleys etc.Not like todays chemical enduced offerings,next entertainment, back then any day of the week somewhere in Sheffield there was a live group on,for instance Mondays we visited the Wheatsheaf Lane Top,Tuesday Arbourthorne hotel,Wednesday Firth Park forgot the pub name,Thursday Sicey Hotel,Friday Blue Bell Hackenthorpe,Sat and Sunday we went out Derbyshire Lathkildale Hotel and Monsaldale Hotel in every pub there was a group on.Another thing behaviour you used to see odd fights and billious bouts not like today the last time I went down town it was like a madhouse at throwing out times,the women were worst than the men screaming fighting passing out,nobody seems to have any control or self respect,if you can,t take it don,t sup it!.So to me apart from the real ale pubs such as Khelam Islands offerings the pubs in the sixties in Sheffield were a lot better,what say you??.:confused::roll::huh:

Spot on, very fond memories of the Blue Bell Inn, Lathkildale, the Hermitage at the bottom of the Moor. Sadly these places have long gone, I agree with you about the pubs of today and the louts, thugs etc causing fights etc. Australia is just the same in the cities, every week people get mugged, stabbed, you name it. The sixties were the best times by far.

Delboy Canberra Australia.

Of course they were, better frequented,more of them and no matter how skint you were you could always afford a pint. Can't now!! Better beer too, miss Wards bitter.

once you get past the gong it does gets a bit boring:D

I was down there a few years ago

after I"d been to thirroul to look at

'Wyewurk' - D.H. Lawrence's House

where he stayed May to August 1922, its still named 'Wyewurk'. It was here that Lawrence wrote most of his Australia-based novel Kangaroo.

privately owned so you can't get in there .

much to the dismay of my friend who had to be restrained from breaking in ,being the most devoted lawrence fan australia as ever produced .:huh:

Love it....

Larky's post should be nominated "post of the month".

Worthy of a much wider audience. I think I was sat next to his dad one Saturday lunchtime in the Plough at the bottom of Broad Street in the sixties.

I was down there a few years ago

after I"d been to thirroul to look at

'Wyewurk' - D.H. Lawrence's House

where he stayed May to August 1922, its still named 'Wyewurk'. It was here that Lawrence wrote most of his Australia-based novel Kangaroo.

We learn something new everyday, the majority of people who have heard of DHL in this area all think he finished writing the novel Kangaroo at a house opposite Bald Hill Lookout, overlooking Stanwell Park, me included until I looked it up on google.