Sign in to follow this  

What is it with Old People and public transport?

I know this must sound like a rant as well and I believe it or not I do have a lot of respect for the older generation .... however, one thing always gets me and that is why do old people insist on getting on the "commuter" buses / trains etc.? I remember many a time the bus to college going past and not stopping as it was full of oldies off to town to get their shopping.

Take it easy, have a lie in!!!!!!!

Originally posted by NicoleM

I know this must sound like a rant as well and I believe it or not I do have a lot of respect for the older generation .... however, one thing always gets me and that is why do old people insist on getting on the "commuter" buses / trains etc.? I remember many a time the bus to college going past and not stopping as it was full of oldies off to town to get their shopping.

Take it easy, have a lie in!!!!!!!

In this day and age of cr*ppy pensions, they may well be off to work themselves. :(

Originally posted by Mathom

In this day and age of cr*ppy pensions, they may well be off to work themselves. :(

Very true actually! But you can see my point!?

I'm a retiree, 74 years old, and I agree with younger people who have had to face delay and discourtesy from seniors. I try to carry out whatever business I can out of the mainstream time when busy people need to get their business done. There is nothing worse when you only have a half hour for lunch to find a bank teller tied up with some old dear who insists on carrying out complex fund transfers he or she could have done earlier.

I have found in general people are very courteous to older peope like me, if and when we need help. Its up to us to be so in return. No excuse for rudeness.

Originally posted by buck

I'm a retiree, 74 years old, and I agree with younger people who have had to face delay and discourtesy from seniors. I try to carry out whatever business I can out of the mainstream time when busy people need to get their business done. There is nothing worse when you only have a half hour for lunch to find a bank teller tied up with some old dear who insists on carrying out complex fund transfers he or she could have done earlier.

I have found in general people are very courteous to older peope like me, if and when we need help. Its up to us to be so in return. No excuse for rudeness.

You are a most courteous person.... thank you for your comments.... my comments were not meant to be discourteous only objective.... what I meant was people of all ages can live and commute together.... we just have to give each other a bit of lea way.... some people need to get to work and others don't.... why hamper those who do by those who don't?

I am courteous to most people who I meet but I find if I let someone less able in front of me then they tend to hold me back and it costs me business and my job in the end as being the nice guy and making me late tends to make me look bad.... " The late guy" and not a good reputation to have to get on. At least I don't barge past.... I have some respect..

Originally posted by Jake01

.... sorry senior citizens you are not all the same and pc law will kick in soon.

That's OK Jake, [but don't mention 'PC' on here ;)] . I'm not doddering old, but with arthritic hips I'm very aware that I can get in people's way sometimes, especially in doorways and on escalators, - I have to be particularly careful on escalators.

I don't always have my walking stick with me but have noticed than when I do younger people tend to be a little more considerate in holding doors open etc.

My biggest beef is mothers with pushchairs,...I have scars :mad:

where my parents live retired folks get bus tokens/buss passes for reduced fares but they can only be used after 9am, thus negating problems with those who are out for a potter getting snarled up in commuter traffic on the buses and trains...seems to work well and those who want to go somewhere before 9 just have to pay full fare (the majority dont). I think this works well for all as the older people get a seat on a less crowded bus or train and the commuters dont get caught behind someone a little less agile and arrive at work a little less stressed.

Originally posted by joeyannie

where my parents live retired folks get bus tokens/buss passes for reduced fares but they can only be used after 9am, thus negating problems with those who are out for a potter getting snarled up in commuter traffic on the buses and trains...seems to work well and those who want to go somewhere before 9 just have to pay full fare (the majority dont). I think this works well for all as the older people get a seat on a less crowded bus or train and the commuters dont get caught behind someone a little less agile and arrive at work a little less stressed.

that is a fantastic idea,pity our council cant think like yours :thumbsup:

Originally posted by buck

a bank teller tied up with some old dear who insists on carrying out complex fund transfers he or she could have done earlier.

Oh... you got me going now.

Saturday morning at the Building Society,...open only 3 hours.

You go in to draw out £50 for the weekend...what do you get?

One assistant dealing with a long queue of people doing the same thing, the other assistant having interminable discussions with old people as to " Am I getting the best interest rate on these?" pulling about 5 Passbooks out and taking most of the morning discussing same.

The other is outdoor Markets...what......they spend hours picking and poking through stuff, ask interminable questions of the Stallholder, pick and poke some more...blocking the Stall for others to see, and the aisles as well.

At the end of it all, they turn to the Stallholder.." I think I'll leave it for this week"

Originally posted by depoix

that is a fantastic idea,pity our council cant think like yours :thumbsup:

:confused: AFAIK all South Yorks residents are entitled to a reduced fares pass on public transport on attaining the age of sixty, but these passes can't be used until 9:30 AM. I believe the 'pensioner pass' is also valid on some out-of-area services like trains to Leeds etc.

Originally posted by shoeshine

Oh... you got me going now.

Saturday morning at the Building Society,...open only 3 hours.

You go in to draw out £50 for the weekend...what do you get?

One assistant dealing with a long queue of people doing the same thing, the other assistant having interminable discussions with old people as to " Am I getting the best interest rate on these?" pulling about 5 Passbooks out and taking most of the morning discussing same.

You don't have to put with this you know, - if you ask the BS staff they'll give you a card to use in their and other ATMs. Or if the queue of old biddies won't let you near the counter you can apply on-line :P

Thanks greybeard. Our particular Buiding Society Local Branch still use an abacus:)

I think they send Paying-Out Slips by airtube to Head Office 40 miles away.

They are still congratulating themselves on offering their services of a First Mortgage on Bleak House:thumbsup: