In praise of the NHS, Northern General Coronary Unit in particular.

I'm very grateful for the kind wishes, thanks to you all.

I really posted this thread to laud the magnifcent work done by all at the NGH.

There are other aspects of my experience this week of a more personal nature and I will come back to those in a separate thread when I've had chance to calm down after a few days at home and have come to a deeper understanding myself...it's been emotional, spiritual and ultimately life enhancing. I'm a lucky guy!

My OH has had heart surgery twice in the NGH in 1996 and 2007. We have nothing but praise for them.

I'm so pleased that someone else sees their experience as lucky! My OH also considers himself lucky, firstly that he recovered from his heart attack in 1995, secondly that he survived the months between that and his 3 x bypass, and lastly, that we have such a great cardiac unit in Sheffield.

Trying to be positive through what is a worrying time will, I'm sure, help your recovery. I hope its going well.

I work in the area you speak of and thank you so much for your praise and kind words.

It really is heartwarming (no pun intended) to hear such positive feedback .

I wish you a speedy recovery and thank you again on behalf of all of my hard working and committed colleagues.

You are stars, all of you! :love:

Hi Birds,i think i was there when you where brought in N.G.H Perinititus isnt good hope

you are resting at home kids not giving you too much trouble get well soon xxx

Hi Swami, not seen you around for ages. I wondered how you were, then just now seen this thread :shocked:

Sorry to hear about Sunday, but glad to see that you are on the up :)

We do have superb medical staff/facilities in Sheffield. All the best in your recovery SD. See you around.

My mum is a nurse on chesterman and my dad has also been a patient there.

Thank you very much for taking the time to tell others about your recent experience at the Northern General Hospital.

It's always lovely to hear feedback and we are delighted that you are so happy with the care you have received.

Your kind comment comments have been seen by our senior managers in the Coronary Care Unit, who plan to share them more widely with their staff.

Message posted by the Patient Services Team, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you very much for taking the time to tell others about your recent experience at the Northern General Hospital.

It's always lovely to hear feedback and we are delighted that you are so happy with the care you have received.

Your kind comment comments have been seen by our senior managers in the Coronary Care Unit, who plan to share them more widely with their staff.

Message posted by the Patient Services Team, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

It's amazing the diversity of people who actually access this forum and see what people post on here. Which in my view is a good thing. It's good to see that both gripes and complements are read and passed on.

Personally I have nothing but praise too for the NGH in general.

We can even get through directly to the South Yorkshire Fire Service and they are glad to answer questions for us. Even the police come on here occasionally to correct mis-information or provide updates on various things. It's a very useful forum in lots of ways!

I was discharged a week ago today and am very much on the mend. I'm already doing as much walking as I can until I start to tire. I'm aiming to get fit enough to collect sponsors and run a marathon. Naturally all the proceeds will be going to the CCU/Chesterman ward. It's the least I can do because without the quality of care I received I know I would'nt be here to thank you at all. Brilliant!

So glad you are recovering well Swami .

Can I just say as the mother of a nurse ,that it is about time

the conditions all NHS staff have to work under was addressed.

We all know they are totally overworked but i wonder how many

of you know the ridiculous Shift patterns they have to do . It's

nothing unusual for my son to work 4 nights have 1 day off then do a 13

hour shift for 2 dys followed by an early . Whats happened to doing 1

week each of Nights, days ,and lates. Their systems are totally messed

up . In other professions they do 4nights then have 3 dys off.

When I asked who sorts out the shifts i was told it's done by computer.

Anyone who goes into this profession has to have a calling and a

certain personality but does this mean they have to be taken advantage

of.They need to be appreciated and looked after if we are to hold on to

these special people .

So glad you are recovering well Swami .

Can I just say as the mother of a nurse ,that it is about time

the conditions all NHS staff have to work under was addressed.

We all know they are totally overworked but i wonder how many

of you know the ridiculous Shift patterns they have to do . It's

nothing unusual for my son to work 4 nights have 1 day off then do a 13

hour shift for 2 dys followed by an early . Whats happened to doing 1

week each of Nights, days ,and lates. Their systems are totally messed

up . In other professions they do 4nights then have 3 dys off.

When I asked who sorts out the shifts i was told it's done by computer.

Anyone who goes into this profession has to have a calling and a

certain personality but does this mean they have to be taken advantage

of.They need to be appreciated and looked after if we are to hold on to

these special people .

Agree !!! i have to add its cutbacks and staff seem to be under so much pressure at times So a massive Credit goes out to all staff at NGH !!