Can anyone remember the earliest they were paper boys?

Started 1949 for Fred Revill at firth park age 13 collected stars off his brother Harry out side yorkshire bank , morning papers were from there mothers house on Weldrake road bottom of Hucklow rd After sunday dilivers then went on to collect paper money for the weeks papers from custormers houses this would make a 12 0/clock finish if you were lucky, If i remember correctly it was 1 shillings for stars 1/6 for mornings and 2 shillings for the cash rounds 18/6 a week I remember Fred giving me 1£ and we thought we were well off

I delivered the star for a newsagent called Eric Lighthowler who had a shop on Worksop Road Attercliffe about 1959

FURTHER TO ABOVE BEFORE SOMEONE THINKS WE were well paid , mornings were some 30 diliveries on brushers estate as well as sundays I had the star round for about 2 yrs pick up at Firth Park start top of F/P/Ave Hinde House Lane and the then new pre fab est on Wensly st about 55 houses

My basic pay was 13/1d and that was for 75 Stars,50 morning papers+sunday,Green Uns were paid extra and we got good tips,but if we were quick and get back to the shop we could get a double if someone din't turn up and that was often if the weather was poor.I started at 6am mornings and soon as they came at nights.

Started delivering papers for Yates Newsagents on Upwell Street, Grimesthorpe, at the age of 14 in 1964. I took over the round from a lad called Paddy Riley. For delivering morning papers, evening Stars (City Late Edition) , and Sunday papers you got 12/6d a week.

You had to get 100 stars in your paper bag, and it took some carrying up Holywell Road I can tell you. Mind you , you could get rid of them quickly with four houses to each yard .

Used to get a load of rollickings every other Saturday, when Wednesday were at home. Parked my bike at my uncles nearby, left the match at 4.25pm (Ony 15 minutes left in those days) and got to the paper shop just after 5pm. Customers expected their Star soon after the Star van dropped them at the shop at 4 pm.

I delivered the Star Monday - Sat and magazines on Thursday in 1951-1954 for Plumbs newsagents at Gleadless Townend. The magazines were just about manageable then, wages 5/- (5 shillings) a week and it never went up.

I also delivered meat for the Co-op butchers on a Saturday mainly carried in a butchers basket. If you got there very early you stood a chance of one of the two butchers bikes - hard lines if you got the wrong one though, it was the very devil to pedal. 5/- for that as well.

My mother used to make me hand over the cash which I earned and she hid it in a childs tin combination safe which she kept in the pantry. Fortunately for me it was my safe and I also knew the combination so the money didn't stay in there long. I think that the "handing over the cash" was some sort of family tradition as she never mentioned when it quickly disappeared!

I never did the mornings though as I found distinct difficulty in getting up early. This has stayed with me to this day (73).

Brian

A follow on memory - on my paper round there were a couple of houses with really fierce dogs which would run down the hall and throw themselves barking, growling and howling at the door/letterbox. Occasionally I would get fed up and roll the paper very tight, push it into the letter box and when the dog arrived bash it through the gap - great satisfaction.

Another house had a particularly tight flap on the box with about 1" gap which was ok for most papers at the start of the week but the thicker papers were impossible to poke through and arrived torn through the box. It was never changed!

Brian

I was never a paper boy......:( come to that I was never a paper girl either :huh:

I was never a paper boy......:( come to that I was never a paper girl either :huh:
Come on Joan it must be the pine trees in Bournemouth that are getting to you or are you just bored.:hihi:

It's never too late :P

I had a very short lived paper round for Seals newsagent in lodge moor,it was an evening round mainly delivering the star,about 1969.Soon got fed up and returned to carrying groceries for a few bob,generally got a sweet or two on top!!

you would have been it your parents could not afford to give you spending money

i deliverd papers in 1941