Can anyone remember the earliest they were paper boys?

I'm wondering when the first paper boys delivered the Star? Does anyone remember?

I was delivering the Stars in 66 when the World cup final was on. I saw most of the game but missed extra time because I was delivering. As I passed home my dad came out onto the balcony and shouted that "we" were winning 3-2.

For me would have been about 1970 when I lived darn sarf, in Tottenham, did a morning round then an evening one. Trust me back in them days the papers were a lot heavier.

For me, 1963. Gleadless Valley. Uphill both ways :cry: ...... morning, evenings (6 days) and sunday morning.

dont know exactly i was 13 at boardman and smith on newfield green gleadless, it could be quite hard some weeks we would do the morning round, then school, back to newspaper round taking the star my round waqs 40 papers that was a long walk round thr valley with all the hills,the 2 warst days were wednsday and sunday wednesday was womens magaziines some had 2 or 3 mags, sat was a big round we had the mornings to do then the eve3ning stars soon as they were done it waas back to the shop to take the green-uns this would only be about 20 we would take a few more to mke a bit of pocket money then the dreaded sundays you had to take 2 bags they weighed a ton cauce some would have 2 3 papers. after all that thinking that was it but we then went round again to collect the money all that 7 days a week all for a pound a week but we had perks that went unnoticed

1959 Delivering the Star around Owlerton on Penistone Rd/Bastock Rd/Tanfield Rd plus nearby streets. Telegraph in the mornings and the Star in the Evenings.

I started as a paper boy in 1950 along with about 9 or 10 other lads who worked for Hurst's on the Manor estate. I had one of the smaller rounds. Called at about 40 houses with the morning papers comics and magazines, and about 50 odd Stars in the evening. Sundays were the worst, the majority of houses having more than one paper., the bag used to weigh you down. From memory we were paid 9 shillings a week, plus tram fares to get to and from Hurst's. If you didn't miss a delivery in a month, you were rewarded with a bonus of 9/-. The biggest pay day of the year was Christmas Eve when you delivered every newspaper in person to the householder to wish them seasons greetings.

1954,I was 13 delivering for Ron Starling Middlewood Rd.I used to watch every home game from Leppings lane end and run out as soon as the final whistle went.Ron was always sat behind the counter with the papers sorted,he almost always said "scrappy game again".

I don't think he went.I got the job thanks to my dad,I asked if I could have a bike and he said of course you can.(this is the point I should have left home).He came home the next day and said I could go to Wigfalls and get one,when I got there I was given a choice of bikes,heaven.I finally took the bike home and dad said " Monday you start delivering papers and I want 7s6d

every week."

Was just shy of 13 when I started at Westleys in Totley in 1960.

Started off in the winter with a morning round that took me round Totley Bents. Soon realised there wasn't enough time to get done and back to catch bus to King Teds so packed it in.

Soon got offered one doing Green Oak prefabs which was where I lived. Got paid 8/6 but also got the chance to do the one on Totley Bents on Sunday morning which was 5/6.

The reason for the extravagant Sunday pay was that you had to go to virtually every house and farm and collect the money armed with a little red book and pencil. Some would invite you in for a chat whilst they rummaged about for change and others would pretend they never heard you knock. Consequently it took ages to get round.

The Christmas tips were great though

It was in 1954 that I started my paper round I was 12 legally I think you should have been 14.I started at Tugbys on Shirecliffe,like matsella I bought a pushbike from Wiggys on impulse,went in the salesman rubbed his hands gave me a form said get yer dad to sign that bring £2 deposit the rest is 2 shillings a week,so I went home signed the paper took my dosh and got the bike.Now the crunch when my mother saw it she went ballistic and wanted me to take it back NO way was i doing that so I went to Tugbys for a job but she said I was too young.I think it was when she saw the tears in my eyes and asked why when she relented,come on Sunday she said so I did, she gave me a badge,anyone asks tell them you are 14.I think she gave me a Sunday round to see if it would put me off,169 heavy papers for a weedy kid is no joke not when most of them were broadsheets but no I had my bike.I worked for three years and found I could double my money doing extra rounds it was like winning the pools.Welcome to the world of work,god bless you Mrs Tugby.

I was the first paper lad on the Hyde Park Flats in 1963, I delivered them for a Mr Stutchberry who would bring the papers in his Ford Anglia to be delivered while he waited for his shop to be finished.I delivered the morning papers and the Star and Green un and the Sunday papers I think the wages then was about 15 shillings a week.