Cupcakes, is it a waste of time ?

I've just looked at your page.

I really do think you need to change it to a page rather than a group.

What would put me off personally is that

There's no easy way to navigate around. You could do with your cakes in named albums (although font look

At mine as they're not at the min while I change my page around a bit)

You seem to use your group to vent that you're not doing very well.

You seem to broadcast your failures, e.g. You mention you've 'cocked' up a cake.

There is no definition to what is yours and what are the pics you've found on the Internet and you want to try.

You have too many things that your trying to do. I don't want to upset you but there seems to be a lot of 'tat' that anybody could go to B&M and buy.

There's no description of what your cakes actually are (flavours etc)

You seem to complain an awful lot, e.g. You have stuff everywhere, you've spent too much money, you're not doing well, your promotions aren't working. This makes you look so negative and that you kind of resent what you do.

And your spelling/grammar is awful. I'm really sorry but these would definitely put me off.

Your photos aren't very good quality. For example you put a picture of your lovely sponge on but there's a bottle of Lambrini in the background.

You could have made that pic lovely, put your sponge on a lovely plate with some nice cutlery nearby and a big cup of tea.

People want to see that their cakes are made in a clean and tidy environment so maybe move the bottle of wine and avoid having the plug socket in the background

Your cakes look great though and I wouldn't give up trying. You will get there.

I don't make a living from this, I do it for a bit of extra cash to maybe pay for a meal out, my sons football lessons etc.

I have a job that I studied at university for.

My cakes are a side line and I do it because I LOVE cake :)

I think it's a very difficult area to make a living from, I definitely agree with that.

Edited by yan

For a start - get a link on your signature on here!

Get a stall at local fairs and galas. Try a stall at Thorsby or big car boots.

Honestly, you can perhaps make a dozen fairy cakes for a £1, but large cupcakes, made withfree range eggs & lots of real butter- no chance. My daughter does bespoke cupcakes and they aren't cheap to make!. I must admit I used to think they were expensive, but now knowing the time & effort, plus the cost, I don't.

Edited by squeakyclean

They look lovely and you shouldn't stop baking.

But the market for cupcakes is saturated and isn't big enough to sustain many competitors. I mean, if you had a product which was healthy or helped people lose weight there is much more longevity in that then trendy confectionary.

My advice is keep it as a hobby, maybe make a bit of pocket money on the side but don't give up your day job!

By the way retail will buy them. That's cafes / restaurants and clothing stores (females are your market) I know because I dabbled in cupcakes a few moons back.

But not all cafes will take them, infact just a niche percentage. Some also have existing deals with suppliers. That's why you can't make a proper living.

Also, you will never sell in high volume because cupcakes are perishable, 3 days and they go hard. Cafe's can't store them so might take a dozen or maybe 2 dozen a week.

If you can make £1 a cupcake you could be doing alright as a part time job.

Edited by TJC1

You didn't go to a very good business school.

From the comment on here I believe you are wrong.

When starting out in business you first need to do some research into the market. I believe the OP has not done any.

You need to make up a viable business plan of costs and profit projections so you then have a chance of getting a loan to help your future business. I believe the OP has not done this.

As this is about selling food you need to gen up on the various food and hygiene laws that may apply. Not sure if the OP has done so.

A web site is not very costly and a good idea too.

Never rely just on friends for custom.

And as someone has already pointed out the market in this is already very saturated. Which leads nicely on to my previous comment "unless you can offer something that is better or cheaper then don't try and compete with the opposition."

Oh, the top businesses that end up going bust very quickly are start-ups in the food industry, especially restaurants..

Edited by fake

To OP I have sent you a PM regarding a poss order. Thank you.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Cupcakes, cupcakes, cupcakes, cupcakes!!!

To be honest i'm sick of seeing them, everybody and their mother seems to be producing pictures of bland buns with a bit of fancy coloured cream on the top and hoping to start a business venture 'cos a few bored housewives coo over them.

Forget it love its been done to death and will soon fade away leaving the odd bigger mass producing companies with their own market.

Why did you read this post then? Save your breath next time

There a few independent coffee shops opening up, steel city cakes comes to mind. Maybe they might want a local supplier and possibly small sandwich shops

Why did you read this post then? Save your breath next time

I take it you fit my description :hihi: