Cupcakes, is it a waste of time ?

my opinion for what its worth is that the market is flooded with people doing this now, couple of years ago they were quite novel but it appears every creative/artistic housewife is having a bash at this and trying to make some money from it, sorry if i have repeated owt anyone else has said but havent read the full thread

My opinion - you could be making absolutely stunning cupcakes, but when you can't even use proper English on your Facebook page, I'd not buy any.

"Ov been trana think ov new ideas all night" - that put me off straight away.

If you want to make a name for yourself, at least try and start being more professional about it.

We are British.

They are buns. Or Fairy Cakes at a push.

Message ends.

We are British.

Message ends.

i was going to say that cup cakes to me have always been fairy cakes and always will be!

Cup cake!!!, we are not american, just a way to over charge for them

market stalls/boot sales/morrisons and tesco, also asda notice boards, small leaflets in doors, in areas you could deliver to. Maybe set up a website with all designs, flavours etc. Do you do gluten free cupcakes? Have an offer on your leaflets, like buy 3 get one free etc. Hope this will work for you.

It is very difficult to establish a business in cupcakes, as there are a vast majority already doing this and have fully established clientele. The very best of luck, i am all up for people setting up their own business, but dont give up the day job as yet.

I must say I echo some of the above..I wont buy 'cupcakes' on principle.. it is american..bring back the 'bun' or 'fairy cake' and I may be tempted. I know people do buy cupcakes but like others say the market is now flooded and it was also a trend and trends come and go very quickly, not really the basis for a solid business.

its like when people talk about muffins, i always think of the english muffin cooked on a griddle(made with yeast), not those american sweet thing

I can't be doing with this all this 'cup cake' malarkey either. When i was a lad every jumble sale/school fayre/church fete sold 'buns' and they were often very good. Butterfly buns (both chocloate and plain), and any kind of cornflake/rice crispie thing covered in chocolate were always my favourite. They cost about 2p rather than 2 quid.

I've looked at the pictures of your cupcakes and they are beautiful so how about this for an idea.....

Take some photos of your cakes, frame them and sell them as pictures. Look at this as an example I found on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Quality-Crystals-set-of-3-Cupcakes-canvas-picture-print-Shabby-chic-/320967234070?pt=UK_Home_HomeDecor_WallHangings&hash=item4abb235216

There are lots of ways to make pictures. I saw some frameless picture frames in Wilkinson yesterday 16"x12" for £1.50. Put a photo of one of your cakes in the frame (cost 50p?) and you could sell a unique picture for about £5 which would make £3 profit. The beauty about photos is that they won't go out of date (unlike cupcakes) or disappear when eaten (again unlike your cakes). Personalise them and make them unique and you shouldn't go wrong.

Put a couple on ebay (make sure you list them when it's a free listing weekend) and see how you go.

Good luck xxx

We are British.

Message ends.

Absolutely, they're buns, butterfly buns, or I'll accept "fairy cakes" at a stretch.

The whole cup cakes thing has been done to death. I've developed an unhealthy vendetta against cup-cake-Cath Kidston society, which has only got worse since I was dragged along to Whirlow Hall Farm on Sunday. £6 to get in, to be faced with stall after stall of overpriced, over decorated buns. Pah!!!!

On a less ranty note, to the OP, maybe you should think of a more original idea? Set the trend, don't try and follow it when it's becoming old-hat.

How about promoting and selling your cakes at one of the many local food festivals? You might have to go down the line of getting the right paperwork, but if you seriously want to do this and make it work, it will be worth it.