Parkway Central retail park shortcut!

Take a look at the example image from the highway code. What examples says you can do what you described?

Your image doesn't say you can go back the way you came (see my "I forgot my wallet and need to return home" post that you haven't commented on for some reason), but that doesn't mean it's illegal.

I was going to say I think you're confusing morally wrong with illegal, but is it really morally wrong?

Edited by alchresearch

Does anyone else get annoyed with the number of cars who, when seeing a queue on the parkway coming into Sheffield drive into the Parkway Central retail park only to exit at the other end and push in to the traffic?

See here: http://tinyurl.com/94mlbu4

Does anyone know if complaining to the council will do anything and force the owners to remove this shortcut, its so annoying to be sat in a queue only to watch ahole drivers think they can go round the traffic and push in at the front!

I believe you can still buy them at Boots (chemist) if you don't know what I mean, I am talking about a baby's dummy, buy one and have suck on it when you see the next driver taking the sort cut. This is one of the most childish posts I have read on SF for a long time, grow up and stop being so childish. Looking at some of your previous posts you seem to be always complaining about something.

Edited by bigjoker

Can you point out which part of the following says to go left you use the right hand lane?

On approaching a roundabout take notice and act on all the information available to you, including traffic signs, traffic lights and
lane markings which direct you into the correct lane

You should:

• use Mirrors – Signal – Manoeuvre at all stages

• decide as early as possible which exit you need to take

• give an appropriate signal (see Rule 186). Time your signals so as not to confuse other road users

• get into the correct lane

I see no arrow for someone wanting to be an ignorant ahole and use the right hand lane to turn left. Can you point out what I have missed?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_070540.jpg

I'm not turning left. I'm going right, following the correct lane around the roundabout and then taking the exit I require.

Take a look at the example image from the highway code. What examples says you can do what you described?

I've seen the image, it doesn't say you can't do what I'm suggesting.

I'm not going to sit in a queue of traffic wasting time and petrol when the right lane is empty just because my route around the roundabout is not shown on a diagram.

I've seen the image, it doesn't say you can't do what I'm suggesting.

I'm not going to sit in a queue of traffic wasting time and petrol when the right lane is empty just because my route around the roundabout is not shown on a diagram.

When you say wasting time and petrol, you mean your time and petrol.

The same amount of traffic will exit left at the same rate irrespective of your lane etiquette, and most people politely wait their turn in the left hand lane, the lane with the big left turn arrow on it.

Your behaviour might not be technically against the rules of the highway code, but it arguably is. Nevertheless, it is only saving your time and petrol at the expense of everybody else's, and increasing the risk of clogging the roundabout as well.

When you see somebody in front drive past a parking spot and put their reverse lights on, are you one of those that would quickly nip into the empty space? There's nothing to say you can't, so why waste your time and petrol looking for another space?

Parking is completely different, I'm talking about driving efficiently, getting from A to B with as little unnecessary delay as possible.

Parking is completely different, I'm talking about driving efficiently, getting from A to B with as little unnecessary delay as possible.

Yes I know, efficiently for yourself with less empathy for other road users.

Parking is only different for you because of proximity, you can see the human being rather than just a row of metal boxes.

Rightly so!

I do exactly same at top of Halifax Rd heading toward Grenoside. Drive stright up on right lane and merge at correct place. People seem reluctant to let me join and i have often had a few hand gestures thrown my way but why sit and wait................... im not breaking any traffic law :hihi::hihi:

That is true, but lets be fair they are only gaining 2-3 mins less traffic time, is it really worth the annoyance? Or if you cant beat them, why not join them and enjoy the express lane to the front of the traffic?

I drive a stretch of road at Tankersley which is 2 lanes and a merges at the end. For some reason most people like to sit in the left lane queing, I go (correctly) down the right lane and merge in turn, must save me 10 mins a day. I do however sometimes receive hostility as people think I am 'que jumping' when actually I am using the road as its meant to be used. Different I know to your circumstance.

If there is a merge at the end, you are using the road correctly. If the right hand lane was for turn right only and you then tried to push into the left lane, I would understand why people would get annoyed.

Luckily for me and the few others that use it, it merges at the end.

I've been viewing this thread with fondness, and hilarity over the last few days. I've held back on posting because it's really just got better and better; the 'roundabout', the whole thing, Ithought that SF had died a death, but this thread really has put my faith back in humour, the 'Sheffielder' and once again humour. Can it be somehow be put onto a DVD?

I enjoy driving, I love sitting in my leather seat with climate control, and either my favourite radio station on, or CD on audio. I'm comfortable, cool/warm as needs be, and I'm listening to something that I enjoy. I'd rather be here than anywhere else.

There may be people who pull out in front of me, there may be people who maybe get home 4 minutes before me, there maybe people who cut me up, there maybe queue jumpers, there maybe policewomen that have been shot dead, there maybe armed forces getting their limbs blown off on a weekly basis, there maybe people sleeping on the streets.

But I love a bit of Chris Evans in the morning and Simon Mayo in the eve.

They could. But it makes no sense to have a retail park exit onto a small road when a major dual carriageway runs right past it.

Possibly if there was a right-turn available onto the dual carriageway there may be sense in retaining the exit. But it's being abused and as all the exiting traffic has to head down into town it wouldn't be a massive inconvenience to direct it down the alternate route.

That would also mean less merging traffic onto the dual carriageway, aiding smoother flow.

Does anyone else get annoyed with the number of cars who, when seeing a queue on the parkway coming into Sheffield drive into the Parkway Central retail park only to exit at the other end and push in to the traffic?

See here: http://tinyurl.com/94mlbu4

Does anyone know if complaining to the council will do anything and force the owners to remove this shortcut, its so annoying to be sat in a queue only to watch ahole drivers think they can go round the traffic and push in at the front!

You mean this

. I timed it on average, people were saving under a minute.