Can anybody help find my family?

Hello. My name is Elaine Raynes. I was born at 3 Cowslip Rd, Firth Park in November 1943. We moved a couple of times and then we went to live at 11 Deep Lane, Shiregreen. I went to Beck Rd School and the name of the headmistress was Miss Glossop. In 1953, we came to Australia and eventually lost touch with friends and relatives.

I remember the ravine and odd number houses were on one side and even number houses on the other. Woolley Woods was near the bottom of the Lane. We lived next to some people called Mansell and I had a friend Irene whose grandparents they were. We had an Aunt and Uncle (Ethel and George Copley) and our cousins, George, Christine and Denise who lived in either Wincobank or Wincobank Rd. I would dearly love to find some of them and re establish contact. Can anyone help?

Hi Elaine - welcome to the Forum! :). The marriages index confirms that George Copley married Ethel Raynes in Sheffield in 1937, and their children were George A. Copley, born 1938, Christine M. Copley, born 1943 and Denise P. Copley, born 1947. There are several possible Sheffield marriages for a George A. Copley and a Christine M. Copley, but only one for a Denise P. Copley, to Terence Pendall in 1970. Likely children of this marriage are Claire, Eve and Faye, born 1974, 1977 and 1981 respectively. In a recent electoral roll, Terence, Denise P. and Claire Pendall can be found at an address in S6. I've sent you a Private Message, copied by email. Good luck!

Hello Philip, Wow! Such a rapid response. That is definitely them. I'll start learning how to follow up. I can't send a private message until I've used the site 5 times (so the site tells me). Thanks again

Hello again Elaine - glad to be able to help! Email me if I can be of any further assistance..:)

Hi Elaine,

I have been researching my Family Tree, and have recently come across your post. The Raynes are distant relatives of mine. I have some information going back to an ancestor William Raynes 1786-1848.  The link between us is,

Looker - Long - Allen - Gosling - Raynes

I have collated some information regarding the names you have mentioned. If you need more information, let me know.

Ethel Copely (born Raynes) was the daughter of Frederick and Mary Raynes (born Gosling)

John Looker

John William Raynes (Official Number 1720)

6th Infantry Brigade
Enlisted
21 Feb 1876 - in Sheffield
Occupation
Blade Forger
Trained
Shorncliffe Camp, Cheriton, Kent

Served
Home, Ireland, East Indies and Burma
Discharged
30 November 1894
Ranks held
Private
Lance Corporal
Corporal

70th Brigade, 104th Regiment of Foot (Bengal Fusiliers)
Ranks held

Private
Lance Corporal
Corporal

Transferred to the Army Reserve
1879 - 1885

2nd Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers
Ranks held
Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Places served
Home
1879 - 1885
Mandalay, Burma
1887 - 1889
Madras, India
1888 - 1890
Shahjahanpur, Northern India
1892 - 1894

Next of Kin
Wife:
Bridget Waters, Married Aldershot, 19 Jan 1878
Children:
John William
17 Feb 1878
Luther William
16 Jan 1880
Frederick Philip
8 Feb 1882
Ethel
28 June 1884
Albert Austin Raynes
11 Feb 1893 (died 1893)
Lily Raynes & Daisy Raynes (Twins)
26 Jun 1894
Edwin Austin Raynes

Frederick Philip Raynes (Official Number 4647)
Enlisted
17 Mar 1894
Served
India
1894 - 1901
South Africa
1901 - 1902
Home
1902 - 1904
Gibraltar
1904 - 1905
Home
1905 - 1906
Discharged
18 Mar 1906
Ranks held
Private
Corporal

Next of Kin
Father:
Sgt John William Raynes
Mother:
Bridget Raynes
Brother(s):
John William Raynes
Luther William Raynes
Sister:
Ethel Raynes

Hi Elaine

I have been trying to find you on behalf of my mum Christine Copley.  She talks very fondly of you and is really eager to get in touch with you. I have heard many fantastic stories of the times you spent together as children, and sadly the heartbreak when you left. Please please contact me via email wylietracy@yahoo.co.uk and I would be delighted to pass on your details to my mum so she can phone and speak to you. 

On 18/09/2012 at 13:04, hillsbro said:

Hello again Elaine - glad to be able to help! Email me if I can be of any further assistance..:)

Sorry to bother you but desperately trying to make contact with Elaine Raynes. I would really appreciate any help you can offer. She is my mum's cousin (Christine Copley) not sure if you can send a direct message?? Thanks in advance!

15 hours ago, TracyWylie said:

Sorry to bother you but desperately trying to make contact with Elaine Raynes. I would really appreciate any help you can offer. She is my mum's cousin (Christine Copley) not sure if you can send a direct message?? Thanks in advance!

Hi - I really don't know if I can help as I usually keep records for five or six years, so of course it is too long ago, but I have sent you a private message.

Hi Elaine,

Have been in contact with your family and they are keen to reach out to you. If you could reply to my email address, I will be able to put you in contact with them. My email address is john.looker@gmail.com.

Kind regards,

John Looker

Hi Elaine,

Forgot to say, I can also get your family's Postal Address in Sheffield for you.

Kind regards,

John Looker

Hi Elaine,

Your grandmother (Patience Gosling) was my great great grandmother.

Kind regards,

John Looker