Dangerous Stunts We Used To Do!!

As a young schoolboy Tup way back in the 50s some of the things us kids used to do make my blood run cold when I think back to those times.At the time I had a fair old trek every day to school and back we lived where the Sheffield College is now on Liversey St,the school was near Hillfoot Bridge it was shanks pony for me down Club Mill Lane and back four times a day as my old Ma insisted on me having dinner at home.This put me on a tight schedule as I only had one hour for lunch,this was the cause of one of my most stupid dangerous stunts I ever did and believe me I did quite a few as a kid.Neepsend Power station was coal fired and it devoured thousands of tons of coal daily the route the huge tipper lorries took was along Club Mill Lane with the coal,the lane is narrow and winding making the wagons slow down for the bends this is where I used to jump on the back hanging on by my finger tips,after the Old Park Silver Mill was a straight strip of road where the driver put his foot down,this was the most dangerous bit as you where buffeted all over the place,I disembarked when the driver stopped at the Power Station gate to check in,I strolled over the footbridge across the River Don to home and dinner.My mother used to say I don,t know how you get home so quick she would have had kittens if she knew.If I had ever fallen off it would have been intensive care for me,the foolish things you used to do its a good job oh my papa never found out or my arse would need intensive care also!!.:roll::confused::loopy:

Edited by old tup
guess=spelling

Touch burners, chucking snowballs at "gassies" till they exploded, playing "hide and seek" but, being distracted by summat more interesting and finishing up streets away from your mates who had given up looking for you and returning home hours later and no-one knew you were gone all spring to mind.

Cap bombs packed with caps being chucked up in't air, unguarded bonfires, penny bangers, walking on walls which had glass pieces stuck on 'em, apple scromping, all dangerous antics by today's standards, I wouldn't let any of my grandchildren try those!

Touch burners, chucking snowballs at "gassies" till they exploded, playing "hide and seek" but, being distracted by summat more interesting and finishing up streets away from your mates who had given up looking for you and returning home hours later and no-one knew you were gone all spring to mind.

Cap bombs packed with caps being chucked up in't air, unguarded bonfires, penny bangers, walking on walls which had glass pieces stuck on 'em, apple scromping, all dangerous antics by today's standards, I wouldn't let any of my grandchildren try those!

Done em all apart from gas lamps lol, remember once went scrumping &, the woman came home, I jumped over the wall in her garden.....little knowing it was about 15 foot drop I was in agony.

At halloween used to go in farmers field at bottom of Occy Lane for pumpkins.:)

Done em all apart from gas lamps lol, remember once went scrumping &, the woman came home, I jumped over the wall in her garden.....little knowing it was about 15 foot drop I was in agony.

At halloween used to go in farmers field at bottom of Occy Lane for pumpkins.:)

You were posh, pumpkins! We nivver saw a pumpkin in our area, we had turnips, they stank vile when you got a bit of owd candle in 'em and put lid back on, our hands used to be covered in stinking soot then you'd eat your tea!

hanging onto the back of buses and sides of ice cream vans

home made go karting

toboganing down the longest steepest hills of pure ice with just a cement bag

jumping from one branch of a tree and grabbing hold of another branch on another tree

climbing up walls, buildings, trees as high as possible without a safety net, sometimes falling, sometimes jumping

exploring sewer pipes and other very dark tight scary places

camping out in scary places you really shouldnt

firing fireworks where you shouldnt

throwing glass bottles, aerosols and fireworks on bonfires

dressing up as a guy fawkes and getting booted

We used to wade down the river in wellies, we used to scare each other to death by pretending to see rats.

us younger uns used to get hung by your legs out of the windows of the snooker room at the community centre near the junction, woodhouse by the older lads too, a good 10-15 foot high i think to say your head first lol

Jumping out of first floor bedroom windows during the slum clearance (1973) at Burngreave

These houses were vacated and awaiting demolition ( EL OFF anybody?)- We went from Pye Bank School - during our dinner hour,-- broke in ---(houses awaiting demolition just of Andover Hill)

- and jumped onto matresses pile 6 high The Boiinng was deadly!!!

Bit mad, but par for the course in Pitsmoor during the seventies

Now dont get me started on the Fiery Jack tunnel*******

What about sliding down t'coal shute into the cellar when you'd lost/forgotten your house key then through the cellar, up the steps to the cellar head and into the living room, a regular occurence.

First day of the school summer holidays (early 70's) and there's a load of us back at the school that evening. We all climbed up onto the single story buildings roof (as you could in those days) and someone decided to dare people to jump off onto a sloping grass bank. After a few of my so called mates had jumped at least twice I decided that I needed to save face and jump myself. Terrified but trying to look as cool as only an 11 year old could I took a deep breath, jumped.... and landed that badly I broke my foot and spent the whole six week holiday in plaster :(

Touch burners,

I've seen touch burners in the museum, but what did you do with them?

Jumping on and off the old open back buses between stops