Weeds a problem,can anyone advice.

Im a licensed to spray herbicides and if you want i can come in the spring and spray your weeds with a concentrated glyphosphate killer. Thus ensuring total death to the little blighters..

07737132858 keep my number for future use...

thanks

andy

whats the bet for getting moss off the tarmac paths outside the house

Ive used Jeyes fluid. Mix 250ml to 10 litres of water and apply using a watering can with a rose on the end. Edited by Big Sigh
add txt

If you have any rock salt brush it into the joins in the slabs.

Kills all growth

You could always try some of the suggestions in this article: Wage War on the Wicked Weed!

Homemade weedkillers are mostly kinder to the environment and not harmful to children and pets. Good Luck!

Most weedkillers these days are just very strong fertilizer... They kill the weed by over exhaustion.

Firstly whatever you do persistance is necessary. If you use any sort of weed killer, chemical, organic or physical you need to do it on open leaves in dry weather. Salt and vinegar dry the whole plant out in the same way glysophate derived weedkillers like round up. ( Its not the glysophate itself that is harmful its the chemicals in the weed killer that bond it too the leaves). Boiling water also works to weaken the weed over a period of time. Another treatment that i intend to try this year is adding creosote to boiling water at 1-8, applied in dry weather. Do not get it on your skin! This is from Lawrence D Hills 'Month by month Organic Gardening'

All the best Jo

---------- Post added 25-03-2013 at 12:04 ----------

Sugar soap or soda crystals, hot water a scrubbing brush, something good to kneel on and plenty of elbow grease,in larger areas a really good out door brush. remove as much as possible carefully, with a sharpened shovel first. Tempting as power tools are for this sort of job the run off which can harm any adjacent wildlife is considerable. Also power spraying will dislodge any loose tarmac and or any bonding if present.

---------- Post added 25-03-2013 at 12:06 ----------

Thankyou for the advice highphoney (and from all other posters too)

Those weeds were certainly worse this year then previously,never had so many before.

Hopefully next year we won't have such a rainy Summer and there won't be so many weeds,then i will be more prepared and willing to spend more time out there tackling the pests. :)

Sorry I didnt realise how many posts id sent, its good to have a rant about chemicals but I do go on sometimes

Jo

Firstly whatever you do persistance is necessary. If you use any sort of weed killer, chemical, organic or physical you need to do it on open leaves in dry weather. Salt and vinegar dry the whole plant out in the same way glysophate derived weedkillers like round up. ( Its not the glysophate itself that is harmful its the chemicals in the weed killer that bond it too the leaves). Boiling water also works to weaken the weed over a period of time. Another treatment that i intend to try this year is adding creosote to boiling water at 1-8, applied in dry weather. Do not get it on your skin! This is from Lawrence D Hills 'Month by month Organic Gardening'

All the best Jo

---------- Post added 25-03-2013 at 12:04 ----------

Sugar soap or soda crystals, hot water a scrubbing brush, something good to kneel on and plenty of elbow grease,in larger areas a really good out door brush. remove as much as possible carefully, with a sharpened shovel first. Tempting as power tools are for this sort of job the run off which can harm any adjacent wildlife is considerable. Also power spraying will dislodge any loose tarmac and or any bonding if present.

---------- Post added 25-03-2013 at 12:06 ----------

Sorry I didnt realise how many posts id sent, its good to have a rant about chemicals but I do go on sometimes

Jo

Hi Jo

The book in question was obviously wrote before Cresote was banned from sale to the general public and has now been replaced by a Non Coal Tar based product..

You can still buy Creosote if you work in a relevant trade but a word of warning, its no longer has cheap as it was..

I think the smallest bottle you can get now is 20 litre (thats a lot of weed killing at a 1:8 ratio).

25 Litres is around £30....

Is using Creosote in this way classed as organic ???

Edited by sskirrrow

Thanks for the ear bashing it always helps to be patronising. But yes i didnt know creosote had been banned