City centre living, moving back to Sheffield

... well, possibly.

I'm from Sheffield but left in 2004. My boyfriend and I (currently a North Londoner) are planning to move in together next year - discussed going somewhere between his family (Barnet) and mine (Sheffield) but he has visited and actually loved Sheffield (woohoo!) so may be able to head home again at some point, which is exciting.

However I've been away so long I can no longer find my way around the crazy one-way road system in the centre and there are about 20 new flat developments in the city which weren't there. And considering I lived in Halfway before leaving, my knowledge of the 'good' bits of central Sheffield to live in is pretty outdated.

So... just wondering where to start looking, if and when we do. We'll look to rent for a while, and he'd like to live in the centre.

Any thoughts on the better flat developments in the city centre? Would need parking. Don't mind it being a lively area but preferably not totally studenty (I just resent them as I'm not one anymore...). I see a lot of the Blonk Street flats on Rightmove, don't really know what it's like round there to live. Some nice looking ones in West One too. But clueless really, any suggestions very welcome! We're up for another recce in a couple of weeks...

The ones by the peace gardens/back of Winter gardens might be good, central, I think less studenty. Very new.

St Pauls or the apartment conversions surrounding the Peace Gardens. West One will be full of students I would have thought

I think the fact there a lot of the Blonk St ones on Rightmove says all you need to know......

I think the fact there a lot of the Blonk St ones on Rightmove says all you need to know......

I think those are the ones where that little girl plunged to her death not so long ago....It all depends on the budget of the OP. Personally I'd move out of the City Centre, but the ones down at West Bar are quite nice; Park Hill is in the process of being renovated, wouldn't choose West Street as I bet it gets very noisy in those flats. St James' Place looks quite nice, but pricey.

Moving from London, you might like it around Ecclesall Road/Hunters Bar, the high street is sort of like Islington, as much as Sheffield is like anywhere in London. There are lots of cafes, bars and restaurants and a good park. It has a similar feel to being in the city centre. And very frequent buses to the city centre.

West One is exclusively student accommodation.

The developments around Kelham Island are nice, and suitable for 'young professionals', with the exception of the Unite building which is for students. The area has changed a lot since 2004. It isn't dead-central Sheffield which strkes me as a plus - still walking distance from the shops but you're not going to be kept awake by drunks at 4am every night. It's also very convenient for a number of superb pubs.

Buy a flat/apartment out of the city centre. Don't be sucked in by this 'city centre living' malarkey. You'll be screwed by parking charges, maintainance charges, every charge they can can get out of you. you will be awaken by drunken students at all hours and step outside to many pavement pizzas on your doorstep.

Edited by Anglersvista

Buy a flat/apartment out of the city centre. Don't be sucked in by this 'city centre living' malarkey. You'll be screwed by parking charges, maintainance charges, every charge they can can get out of you. you will be kewpt awake by drunken students at all hours and step outside to many pavement pizzas on your doorstep.

I agree

city centre living is really just a con, for pretentious snobbish people

If you are buying, I am not sure that city centre flats will hold their value as well as property in other vibrant areas such as Hunters Bar, Sharrow, Netheredge, Broomhill.

West One is exclusively student accommodation.

No it's not. Some blocks are student-only but a lot of people living there work. Some are even retired. It has become increasingly popular among Chinese students though and this is reflected in higher rents but also in a livelier area.

I'd avoid anywhere overlooking West Street due to the noise. There are quieter roads with new flats such as Trippett Lane or the Cavendish Street side of West One.

Thanks all. I did wonder if it was a bad sign there were so many Blonk Street ones up for rent...

this-life, I'm actually in Norwich, it's the fella in London (well, greater) but sounds good.

LowerWalkley, Eckolad - Guess it's just a matter of taste. Know city living isn't the most cost-effective but it's what we want at first, until we've settled, found what area of Sheff we would want to live in long term and hopefully buy in. I like being in the city, and I'm definitely not pretentious or a snob haha.

Stressconsul - would just be looking to rent, wouldn't buy a flat.

Ta everyone, useful stuff.