Domino intoduce 'gourmet pizza'

Domino's is so over priced, if they were cheaper, they would be better... they are just not worth the cost, its cheaper to go down to pizza hut, and sit in there and have a pizza that's of much better quality...

Over priced is an understatement! Large pepperoni pizza with stuffed crust and added mushrooms - £21.00!

£1.50 for the added mushrooms alone. If you piece the mushroom you get back together again (which i have coz Im sad:hihi:) it usually makes up about 1 mushroom. This puts the cost of their mushrooms of dubious freshness at around £50 per kilo :o

Domino's is so over priced, if they were cheaper, they would be better... they are just not worth the cost, its cheaper to go down to pizza hut, and sit in there and have a pizza that's of much better quality...

Pizza in general is over prices because the average home oven is not suitable to cook pizzas so they know they can charge a premium.

Has anyone had any experience with pizza stones? If you get a bread maker, it can make the dough, which is the hard part.

Pizza in general is over prices because the average home oven is not suitable to cook pizzas so they know they can charge a premium.

Has anyone had any experience with pizza stones? If you get a bread maker, it can make the dough, which is the hard part.

Yes I've had loads since I bought mine! I have it down to a fine art form! They are great. You have to be careful to make the base thin enough (like no thicker than a pound coin) to ensure its cooked by the time the toppings are done. The stone needs to be so hot that when you drop your base on you will see it start to bubble up almost immediately like a nan bread in a tandoori oven. I put my stone in the cold oven, turn it on max, give it at least another 10 mins after the light goes out, then remove. I turn my oven down to about 220 before putting my pizza back in as I found that leaving it on max meant the topping started to burn before the base was cooked. I guess all ovens are different so its down to trial and error really but when youve cracked it you can enjoy yummy pizza forever :love:

We make a base from flour and water, then slid it into a flat, shallow pan over a very high heat. It's a non-stick pan, with a tiny drop of oil. Pre-heat the grill.

It takes a couple or three minutes to brown off the underside. We then stick a plate over the pan, turn the pan over to get the base out, then slide it back into the pan. Low heat whilst you stick on all the tomato puree, tuna, cheese, whatever.

Then shove it under the grill for about 4-5 minutes with a drizzle of olive oil.

Easy and tasty.

Not always, there are some decent pizza places you can order from at less than 1/2 the price of dominos..

infact, there's one i'd recommend who sell a 16" pizza for less than £10 - and they are really nice too...

buy one that size from a supermarket and you're looking around the same price, but doesn't taste as good (if you even have an oven that size)

the idea of 'gourmet pizza' is a misnomer. Pizza is like fish and chips in Italian cuisine. There's nothing 'gourmet' about it at all. It's just a glorified cheese and tomato sandwich. In Italy, pizza is the kind of food blokes eat coming off the building site because it's cheap. Good Italian restaurants quite often don't even sell it. If you walk in one of those and ask for a pizza, they'll likely just direct you to a pizzeria, a downmarket eatery where pizza is the only food available - no fries, onion rings, salad, or any of the side orders, even drinks, that pizza places here sell.

Some people like paying £14.99 for a bit of flour, yeast, water, plastic cheese and a couple of bits of wafer thin ham.

Bargain.

It is crazy - home made pizza is so much tastier and you can put proper mozzarella on plus loads of really nice, quality toppings.

We use a bread machine to do the dough for us, and we prefer a deep base yum yum!

Also has any one else noticed that takeaway pizza makes you really thirsty - I think it's because it's loaded with tonnes of salt :gag:

It is crazy - home made pizza is so much tastier and you can put proper mozzarella on plus loads of really nice, quality toppings.

We use a bread machine to do the dough for us, and we prefer a deep base yum yum!

Also has any one else noticed that takeaway pizza makes you really thirsty - I think it's because it's loaded with tonnes of salt :gag:

When you don't have a bread machine? or an oven big enough for a pizza?

and if you're takeaway pizza is loaded with salt, i'd go somewhere else, the supermarket pizzas, or any I have tasted that have been "home made" have always been worse than the takeaway I go to, and other than pizza hut its the only place I will go...

When you don't have a bread machine? or an oven big enough for a pizza?

and if you're takeaway pizza is loaded with salt, i'd go somewhere else, the supermarket pizzas, or any I have tasted that have been "home made" have always been worse than the takeaway I go to, and other than pizza hut its the only place I will go...

:huh: You don't *need* to make a huge pizza, or you could make two smaller ones and use two shelves?

You can make the dough by hand too, the bread make just saves your arms a bit.

Pizza hut pizzas are extremely salty! It sounds like you've just never had a good home made one to be honest!

but work out the cost of the ingredients, cost of gas or electric for the oven etc... and you come pretty much close to what it costs for takeaway any way!

I worked it out once that buying all the ingredients, and topping etc comes to about £8 for what would be the average 12" pizza, you can get a 12" pizza dlivered for the same price (or less) and none of the effort :)

You think thats bad, try eating salt and pepper chicken from your local Chinese. Talk about parched :o