Fitting 2nd Light, Advice needed

adding an additional lighting point and switch would fall under minor works in a domestic situation and will need a competent electrician to issue a minor works certificate.

check with regard to your caravan as i'm fairly sure that the electrical installation falls under the same regs. by adding an additional point and wiring you are changing the characteristics of the circuit. you are allowd to carry out "maintenance" tasks without certification, ie changing a broken socket outlet, changing an existing light for a new one etc.

fine, it doesn't really matter to me all that much as the van is 30 yrs old and has no paperwork or certificates with it anyway, just asking if that was correct and could it be done like that.

but thanks all the same

The diagram makes no sense at all...

The diagram makes no sense at all...

Errrrr? Why doesn't it? :suspect:

It looks rather simple to me?

Errrrr? Why doesn't it? :suspect:

It looks rather simple to me?

Presume you are splitting the mains out the existing light at the junction box, and taking it to the new light fitting then running a live and switched live down to the new switch....thats what the sketch suggests and thats how it should be done.

Caravans dont come under the scope of Part P, but are covered by IEE wiring regs

Presume you are splitting the mains out the existing light at the junction box, and taking it to the new light fitting then running a live and switched live down to the new switch....thats what the sketch suggests and thats how it should be done.

Caravans dont come under the scope of Part P, but are covered by IEE wiring regs

without being rude i'd suggest the OP gets a competent electrician in, if you have to ask on a forum then you do need a pro in to do it for you safely.

Stupid question, but have you checked that the lights aren't actually 12v like most caravans?

Stupid question, but have you checked that the lights aren't actually 12v like most caravans?

very good point, the sockets and power to fridge/water heater etc are all 230v mains, but the lighting may well be 12v.

very good point, the sockets and power to fridge/water heater etc are all 230v mains, but the lighting may well be 12v.

No its all 230V, theres no 12V. ;)

No its all 230V, theres no 12V. ;)

well you deffo need a sparky then if you need to ask for connection info on the forum. 230v can and will kill ya :D

Edited by ChrisT70