The Village Beneath The Dam

Here's a couple of pictures of the plughole at Ladybower:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ladybower_Reservoir_Outlet.jpg

http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/mwalker/gallerydetail/peak_district/?imageNum=9

'Plaintalker' is correct. The plugholes act as an overflow for when the water level gets too high. More details can be found at http://www.britishdams.org/about_dams/shaft.htm

And 'Simonj' is also correct with his childfhood nightmares - they are very deep!! :o :o

patrick,excellent links. those photos are great! especially the 2nd one, as it shows the "plugs "in action!

Is there an error on the title of the first picture? it says "Ladybower, YORKSHIRE, UK". i always thought ladybower was in derbyshire? (or is this another assumption?)

PT

Is there an error on the title of the first picture? it says "Ladybower, YORKSHIRE, UK". i always thought ladybower was in derbyshire? (or is this another assumption?) PT

PT you're correct, we already had this argument with a post card trader that was at the Don Valley Post Card Fair this weekend, my Dad was looking through the guy's postcards and came across Ladybower Dam in his Yorkshire section, so my Dad said "sorry I think you'll find this should be in your Derbyshire section" but the guy was adamant that is was on the Yorkshire periphery, so my Dad said sorry mate its in Derbyshire, after some huffing and puffing the guy reluctantly put the card in his Derbyshire section.

patrick,excellent links. those photos are great! especially the 2nd one, as it shows the "plugs "in action!

Is there an error on the title of the first picture? it says "Ladybower, YORKSHIRE, UK". i always thought ladybower was in derbyshire? (or is this another assumption?)

PT

Hi PT.

You're quite correct. Ladybower is well and truly in Derbyshire. I don't know who put the reference to the picture that it's in Yorkshire, but I've just gone into Wikipedia and corrected it. :hihi:

Patrick

i read about that village, it's not derwent, if i can find the sight i was in, i'll let you know

I have found this thread most interesting, but i am suprised that no one has mentioned the 2 vilages which were evacuated for BUILDING OF THE WOODHEAD DAMS. This is the same as the Lady bower, Derwent and Ashopton villages.

A full village had to be evacuated leaving the old workhouse and little cottages and church to their fate. Even here , one can still see the foundations of the building.

Hi PT.

You're quite correct. Ladybower is well and truly in Derbyshire. I don't know who put the reference to the picture that it's in Yorkshire, but I've just gone into Wikipedia and corrected it. :hihi:

Patrick

Why is the Yorkshire Bridge Inn in Derbyshire?

Wonder what the chances are of the water being down to the Derwent rubble again sometime soon.

If it happens, lets get out there and get some close-up photos posted on here. :thumbsup:

Yes I really enjoyed walking round the ruins last time, not that I would wissh a drought on us or owt. anyone been up latley whats the level like at the moment??

Why is the Yorkshire Bridge Inn in Derbyshire?

It's to do with the bridge itself, which apparently was the only crossing point on the river between Yorkshire and Cheshire.

Yes I really enjoyed walking round the ruins last time, not that I would wissh a drought on us or owt. anyone been up latley whats the level like at the moment??

Doing fine at the moment - no sign of a major drop in the water levels just yet.

It's to do with the bridge itself, which apparently was the only crossing point on the river between Yorkshire and Cheshire.

Are you sure?

The Yorkshire Bridge pub is in Derbyshire but only a few miles from South Yorkshire's boundary. Certainly nowhere near Cheshire. You sure you don't mean it was the only crossing point between Yorkshire and Derbyshire?

As for the current water level, there's plenty in there. I was out in Derwent yesterday and I'd guess the reservoirs are about 80 to 85% full.

Are you sure?

The Yorkshire Bridge pub is in Derbyshire but only a few miles from South Yorkshire's boundary. Certainly nowhere near Cheshire. You sure you don't mean it was the only crossing point between Yorkshire and Derbyshire?

As for the current water level, there's plenty in there. I was out in Derwent yesterday and I'd guess the reservoirs are about 80 to 85% full.

Thats what I've always been told - I assume the name stems from years back for travellers coming from Cheshire, as we are indeed a good few miles from Cheshire itself.