Want to learn how to plaster

I want to learn how to become a plaster and to learn the skills. Are there any courses around Sheffield.

Phone local plastering firms and see if they want labourers, then work your way up.

Not sure what courses are available nowadays, but it used to need at least two years at college.

PLEASE do not be taken in by these two, three or four day courses. They show people the VERY basics and leave them COMPLETELY unprepared for what the job entails, then they unleash them into the world thinking they are fully qualified.

It's a trade that takes a LONG time to learn properly, and skimming is only a tiny tiny part of it.

These skimmers and 'coursers' are finding less and less work, scratching at tenners on here, as the market is getting flooded with them.

It's a very hard, dirty job that gets little respect....but good, established time served plasterers who know all aspects are busy.

Good luck...if you're serious about it.

Edited by ceevee

You just can't learn it fast. It takes years.

Markets flooded with useless 'skimmers' and 'coursers' who wanted to learn fast.

People like me get to rectify their work!

Markets flooded with useless 'skimmers' and 'coursers' who wanted to learn fast.

i agree if your going to come in to the game which is hard at the moment because of the above quote and people under pricing others, please do it the right way. either go to college and learn or find a plasterer looking for a labourer and learn off them. there is no quick fix to become a plasterer it is a art form and takes years to learn. i have been at it 18 years and i still learn from others. Now due to the flooding af the trade i have jumped ship and gone to university to better myself in construction management. Good luck anyway.

i agree if your going to come in to the game which is hard at the moment because of the above quote and people under pricing others, please do it the right way. either go to college and learn or find a plasterer looking for a labourer and learn off them. there is no quick fix to become a plasterer it is a art form and takes years to learn. i have been at it 18 years and i still learn from others. Now due to the flooding af the trade i have jumped ship and gone to university to better myself in construction management. Good luck anyway.

Good on you old fellow. Sheffield needs some experts on flooding. Will you be doing a CSE in this flooding thing? We need you.

Ross 2012 Plastering is the hardesed trade to learn in the building trade. You will never be able to do it. Pay to have it done right tight wad then your missus wont shout at you for making a mess.:hihi:

Ross 2012 Plastering is the hardesed trade to learn in the building trade. You will never be able to do it. Pay to have it done right tight wad then your missus wont shout at you for making a mess.:hihi:

Harder than gas and electric?It might be laborious and dirty but it is no rocket.

Can I ask y plastering? Yes it is a art but it's also harder than it looks I'd maybe consider your options as if your young ul be fcukd at 40 lol

Can I ask y plastering? Yes it is a art but it's also harder than it looks I'd maybe consider your options as if your young ul be fcukd at 40 lol

Ive been in builidng trade 40 years seen it all done most . We can all put a plug on and do a bit of joinery work etc . But plastering its the finished job everybody looks at it and picks fault .You serve your time as an appretice electrition . joiner . gas fitter and not go home shattered . But a plasterer no its to hard graft dirty back breaking skill full the lot . wrists shoulders back gone at 50 years old pensioned of . Keep away from it terrible trade you have to do it when youre young and you cant learn it when your are past 30 many have tried on these courses what a con they are

Edited by spider1

Plastering is full of monkeys these days who will work for £50

Don't bother wasting your time ! :loopy:

No they are not plasterers they are P***** imigrants who give the walls a sponge finish instead of troweling it . People who use these get what they deserve .

Agreed thats why i folded my buisness up plastering , you cannot compete with the stupid prices .. not if you pay taxes etc ?