What happened to Rotherhams own bus fleet?

All my childhood and a portion of my adult life up to fairly recent years i was used to travelling on the blue and cream coloured buses of Rotherham i moved away from Rotherham in 1993 but i do know Rotherham combined with Sheffield with regards to a bus fleet quite some time back . But on a visit to Rotherham in the past few years i noticed the First Group running all the buses , tried to find out how all this happened but i just got total ignorance on the whole matter. What i wanted to know was what happened to Rotherhams bus fleet prior or just after First Group took over and for First Group to run a bus service it must have bought the bus route from Rotherham Council??. What i want to know what happened to the bus fleet ??, what happened to the money from selling off the fleet??? and what happened to the money from selling all the routes to First Group?????

First South Yorkshire is the operation that used to be South Yorkshire Passenger Transport (SYT), the county council bus operator prior to deregulation/privatisation.

Stagecoach Yorkshire is the former Barnsley based Yorkshire Traction.

If you really don't know about deregulation and privatisation of buses in 1986, here is a brief: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&ved=0CFYQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parliament.uk%2Fbriefing-papers%2FSN01534.pdf&ei=cTlSUKrHGpDI0AWL54GIDA&usg=AFQjCNGz18n6mjasPOLSM1x9duIlbTbV4Q&sig2=34v02z0N_Cz4ZFPPZXKacw

Some time back in the 60's local bus companies were nationalised, various companies in South Yorkshire became SYT (South Yorkshire Transport).

When nationalisation was reversed they were sold off again, in Sheffield they became Sheffield Mainline, I think this might have included a Rotherham depot.

First group bought Mainline about a decade ago (maybe more). There is still a Rotherham depot, although other depots (Halfway for example) were eventually closed.

FYI the halfway depot was originally Booth and Fisher before the nationalisation.

http://www.petergould.co.uk/local_transport_history/fleetlists/booth1.htm

Rotherham Coparation joined with Sheffield corp and Doncaster Corp to become south yorkshrie pte on the 1st April 1974 . This organisation ran buses in brown and cream. When deregulation was on the arisen the bus operations of the pte became SYT and then first . The buses from rothehram continued to work for the pte for some years by the time the company was sold very few of the rotherham buses were around .

In 1993 it was Mainline and most of the buses would of been Blue and Yellow or still in the red, brown and cream SYT livery. First bought Mainline out in about 1998 and it became First Mainline and then it was named First South Yorkshire in about (2002?).

Some time back in the 60's local bus companies were nationalised, various companies in South Yorkshire became SYT (South Yorkshire Transport).

When nationalisation was reversed they were sold off again, in Sheffield they became Sheffield Mainline, I think this might have included a Rotherham depot.

First group bought Mainline about a decade ago (maybe more). There is still a Rotherham depot, although other depots (Halfway for example) were eventually closed.

FYI the halfway depot was originally Booth and Fisher before the nationalisation.

http://www.petergould.co.uk/local_transport_history/fleetlists/booth1.htm

I think you may be a bit confused with the term nationalisation

The nationised bus companies in this area was yorkshrie traction and east midlands .

The pte bought booth and fisher and other companies mainly in the doncater area, the former booth and fisher depot is now used by TM Travel.

The only depot that first owns in south yorkshrie - to the best of my knowledge and beleif is olive grove the rest ie Rotherham & Leicester Avenue at doncaster are leased from the PTE.

Both yorkshrie traction and east midlands ended up with stagecoach together with the former chesterfield transport - at one stage this was about to be bought by mainline.

It all gets very complecated

The head office of First South Yorkshire is now based at Midland Road garage in Rotherham.

The head office of First South Yorkshire is now based at Midland Road garage in Rotherham.

Midland road as been the Ho for some time it became the ho after Amos Road was shut

I dont recall the type or name of the buses but i remember the old blue and white double decker buses where you got on at the back like tin lizzie types and i recall when the Corporation laid on a school bus for us in the late 1950s that they gave us one of these instead of the newer snub nosed buses where you got on at the side.

Can we just clarify something Rotherham buses were blue and CREAM not white , there is a very good example of a Rotherham bus at the South Yorkshire Transport Museum , @ aldwarke :

http://www.sytm.co.uk/index.html

the rotherham bus is the one with more blue on

PS it is the rally and open day at the musuem this sunday

I think you may be a bit confused with the term nationalisation

The nationised bus companies in this area was yorkshrie traction and east midlands .

The pte bought booth and fisher and other companies mainly in the doncater area, the former booth and fisher depot is now used by TM Travel.

The only depot that first owns in south yorkshrie - to the best of my knowledge and beleif is olive grove the rest ie Rotherham & Leicester Avenue at doncaster are leased from the PTE.

Both yorkshrie traction and east midlands ended up with stagecoach together with the former chesterfield transport - at one stage this was about to be bought by mainline.

It all gets very complecated

By nationalised I mean that the independent bus companies ceased to exist.

in August 1975, that Booth & Fisher was to be taken over by South Yorkshire PTE.

From the history page that I'd found.

And I forgot that it was SYT before it was Mainline!