Good family area/s to move to in Sheffield?

Hello there,

My wife and I are thinking of moving up to Sheffield (from London) with our toddler and second baby due in the new year.

We'd be grateful for any suggestions on nice areas, close to happy, thriving state schools. My wife commutes, so having good public transport links to the station is also quite important.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received,

Thanks.

Hillsborough is a decent area with the tram link

Crookes and ranmoor both good although student areas

Halfway around the morrisons Is a good area also you have the tram

Totley and dore are the posh area's of sheffield, although boring and full of snobs

Totley and dore are the posh area's of sheffield, although boring and full of snobs

Hey you I lived in Totley from the age of 2 to 23 and I was never a snob. My mum still lives in the area. I was aware and more so when go home now that its a lovely area and we were lucky to live there. My Dad never had a well paid job just bought house there in early 60s when property was cheap and was very careful with his money! Why should people who live in "nice" areas be boring or snobby. I know property in Totley and Dore will be sky high now but a lot of people who live there will have been there for years and probably inherited property from parents. They are lovely areas to live (didnt appreciate it enough when younger) and would recommend to anyone as on the doorstep of Derbyshire as well.

Welcome to Sheffield. Where you decide to live in Sheffield is very dependent on your budget. The North of Sheffield being much, much cheaper than the South West, where you may be surprised at the high prices of homes. However, South West Sheffield borders the Peak National Park while being 3-4 miles from the City Centre with good schools and great family living. Ranmoor/Fulwood (S10) are lovely as is Whirlow (S11). Considerably cheaper, but still offering excellent family living are Greystones (S11), High Storrs (S11) Nethergreen (S11) Bents Green (S11) and Netheredge (S7). Cheaper still, but a bit further from the Peak District is Walkley (S6) and on the Eastern side, some parts of Sheffield 8. These latter two might not offer quite the same in terms of schooling, but this will be down to an investigation of school catchment areas. If you can find something within easy distance of Endcliffe Park you will find a very good family life style. I would also take into consideration areas where the secondary schools have Sixth Forms as this is a good indication of the excellence of schools in the area. In addition, lots of people speak well of Hillsborough, Dronfield, Chapeltown and Grenoside. Sheffield is a great place to live, with a mixture of city and country living that is hard to find elsewhere.

Forgot to mention Totley and Dore (no snobs to be seen)

Edited by stressconsul
Left something out

Welcome to Sheffield. Where you decide to live in Sheffield is very dependent on your budget. The North of Sheffield being much, much cheaper than the South West, where you may be surprised at the high prices of homes. However, South West Sheffield borders the Peak National Park while being 3-4 miles from the City Centre with good schools and great family living. Ranmoor/Fulwood (S10) are lovely as is Whirlow (S11). Considerably cheaper, but still offering excellent family living are Greystones (S11), High Storrs (S11) Nethergreen (S11) Bents Green (S11) and Netheredge (S7). Cheaper still, but a bit further from the Peak District is Walkley (S6) and on the Eastern side, some parts of Sheffield 8. These latter two might not offer quite the same in terms of schooling, but this will be down to an investigation of school catchment areas. If you can find something within easy distance of Endcliffe Park you will find a very good family life style. I would also take into consideration areas where the secondary schools have Sixth Forms as this is a good indication of the excellence of schools in the area. In addition, lots of people speak well of Hillsborough, Dronfield, Chapeltown and Grenoside. Sheffield is a great place to live, with a mixture of city and country living that is hard to find elsewhere.

And Lodge Moor and Sandyagte and Crosspool in S10 plus possibly Crookes (would be my choice over Walkley Hillsborough or Chapletown).

These :

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/Ranmoor.html

are not houses indicative as a typical student area - are they??

Hello there,

My wife and I are thinking of moving up to Sheffield (from London) with our toddler and second baby due in the new year.

We'd be grateful for any suggestions on nice areas, close to happy, thriving state schools. My wife commutes, so having good public transport links to the station is also quite important.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received,

Thanks.

I live in Dronfield just outside of Sheffield and it has some of the best Schools in the Midlands here :) The Schools here are held in very high regard :) good transport links Sheffield is 6 1/2 miles away and so is Chesterfield bang in between both the M1 motorway is only 15mins away aswell :)

s7 nether edge is a good area.

And Lodge Moor and Sandyagte and Crosspool in S10 plus possibly Crookes (would be my choice over Walkley Hillsborough or Chapletown).

I would have to agree with you, and Crookes, particularly, is reasonably priced.

These :

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/Ranmoor.html

are not houses indicative as a typical student area - are they??

It isn't a typical student area. There is a student village (uni accommodation) but that itsn't really in what most people would class as Ranmoor, it's towards Broomhill which certainly is a student area.

Ranmoor is in the most affluent constituency outside of the south-east of England and if you can afford it, you can't go wrong, other than it's a further out of the city centre than some of the other places that have been mentioned.

I would have to agree with you, and Crookes, particularly, is reasonably priced.

Full of students though and actually has quite a bit of crime (probably linked!)

A fair few of the places you mention are quite far from the station and are problem areas when it comes to transport in wintry conditions.