Rat / Squirrel in the attic

I have some weird noises in the attic and have been up to have a look around.

Cavity wall insulation has been carried around and I can hear some little blighter in there. If you have a cat, and you have heard it growl when it has a mouse in its jaws as a fresh kill then this was a similar, if less noisy sound.

I reckon its either a squirrel or a rat.

Anyone able to recommend a local and reliable person to kill it?

I have some weird noises in the attic and have been up to have a look around.

Cavity wall insulation has been carried around and I can hear some little blighter in there. If you have a cat, and you have heard it growl when it has a mouse in its jaws as a fresh kill then this was a similar, if less noisy sound.

I reckon its either a squirrel or a rat.

Anyone able to recommend a local and reliable person to kill it?

Why would you want to kill a squirrel?

We had a squirrel in our attic and it was gnawing away at the timbers. We could see it running along the terraced roofs and then came to ours and got in a through a tiny hole in the flashing. To get rid of it we just fixed the flashing and strenghtened the timbers that had been nibbled. It made it's home out of insulation.

If a rat the council will come and lay some traps but if a squirrel I think you have to pay

Guest sibon

Buy an ultrasound rodent repeller and stick it in the attic.

It will soon clear off.

Guest sibon
Why would you want to kill a squirrel?

Because they are dirty, noisy and cause lots of damage.

Sounds like a squirrel.

I had a whole family in there a few years back. They had gnawed their way in to the loft through a wooden fascia board.

I blocked the hole first with expanding form that becomes rock hard once set, but they chipped right through that in a couple of days!

So bought a trap off ebay, and with along with a small piece of snickers, trapped the buggers one of by one over a few weeks. 4 in total.

My loft is boarded up down the middle, so the noise alone, as they ran around, got extremely annoying never mind the damage.

Because they are dirty, noisy and cause lots of damage.

Its not paying any bloody rent either.

Ive had them twice once underneath the floor boards and the 2nd time this year in the loft i used comet pest control

Buy an ultrasound rodent repeller and stick it in the attic.

It will soon clear off.

Can you get these sort of things for spiders and do they work ?

If they (squirrels) are in the loft they can not only be very difficult to get rid of but can cause an enormous amount of damage

Buy a trap - cost between £18 - £25 - bait it with peanuts and you will catch the squirrel(s)

If you are squeamish about killing them take them off in your car for a few miles and release them from the trap - I think it's technically illegal to move wild animals in this way but I spoke to an RSPCA prosecutor last year and he said that they never prosecute this particular infringement of the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act

In a flat I lived in previously we had squirrels in the loft area. They were attracted by a lovely, elderly lady who regarded them as pets and bought nuts to feed them outside her window. Unfortunately we had to get rid of them because they caused a serious fire hazard by chewing the electrical cables.

We had a squirrel in our attic and it was gnawing away at the timbers. We could see it running along the terraced roofs and then came to ours and got in a through a tiny hole in the flashing. To get rid of it we just fixed the flashing and strenghtened the timbers that had been nibbled. It made it's home out of insulation.

If a rat the council will come and lay some traps but if a squirrel I think you have to pay

Anything 'inside' the house or roof space the council will charge to get rid of them. It's only rats outside (garden or yard) they will tend to for free. Even if you're not a council tenant.