Hillsborough document release

Sheffield Wednesday FC welcomes the release of the Hillsborough Independent Panel report and would like to acknowledge the enormous amount of hard work by all involved during what was, and continues to be, an extremely emotive process.

Throughout the compilation stage, the club has worked closely with the panel and the other donating organisations to ensure that, in line with the ethos of maximum disclosure, we have been totally transparent.

Sheffield Wednesday would also like to record its gratitude for the thoroughly dignified manner with which the Hillsborough Family Support Group and its representatives conducted themselves throughout all levels of consultation with the club.

Since the acquisition of Sheffield Wednesday Football Club in December 2010 and the subsequent decision of the previous board to dissolve the former parent company Sheffield Wednesday PLC , chairman Milan Mandaric and the current board of directors have adopted a policy of complete compliance with the requests of the Hillsborough Independent Panel and on behalf of the club would like to offer our sincere condolences and an apology to all the families who have suffered as a consequence of the tragic events of 15 April, 1989.

We can only hope that the publication of the Hillsborough Independent Panel report goes some way to providing the closure sought by all those involved.

The thoughts of everyone at Sheffield Wednesday FC remain with the 96 Liverpool supporters who lost their lives, their families, and the wider Liverpool community who have all been affected so deeply by the disaster of 23 years ago.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/sep/12/hillsborough-disaster-report-panel-released-live

Hillsborough report.

12:56 BST

Here is our first story from Owen Gibson and David Conn who now have the report in front of them:

A forensic independent review has concluded that the main cause of the Hillsborough disaster that caused the deaths of 96 men, women and children was a "failure in police control" but has also revealed "multiple failures" within other organisations that compromised crowd safety.

More than 23 years after the disaster claimed 96 lives and following a two year review of around 450,000 unrestricted documents relating to the disaster, the Hillsborough Independent Panel has underlined the "clear operational failure" that led to the disaster and the attempts by South Yorkshire Police and the ambulance service to cover up their shortcomings.

The fact that the ambulance service also altered statements from staff is revealed for the first time. The evidence shows "conclusively" that Liverpool fans "neither caused nor contributed to the deaths" and shows the extent to which attempts, endorsed by the SYP chief constable Peter Wright, were made to smear them.

Documents released to the panel show how high ranking police sources, the South Yorkshire Police Federation and the Tory MP Irvine Patnick were responsible for feeding the stories to White's News Agency in Yorkshire.

They led to the infamous Sun headline "The Truth" that led to a

longstanding boycott of the paper in Liverpool. "The Police Federation, supported informally by the SYP chief constable,

sought to develop and publicise a version of events derived in police

officers' allegations of drunkenness, ticketless fans and violence. This extended beyond the media to Parliament," said the Panel.

"From the mass of documents, television and CCTV coverage disclosed to the Panel there is no evidence to support these allegations other than a few isolated examples of aggressive or verbally abusive behaviour clearly reflecting frustration and desperation. The vast majority of fans on the pitch assisted in rescuing and evacuating the dead and injured."

Over 23 years after 96 men, women and children died at the Leppings Lane end of the ground on 15 April 1989, the families of those who died gave the Panel a standing ovation in Liverpool Cathedral as it delivered its findings.

"For nearly a quarter of a century the families of the 96 and the survivors of Hillsborough have nursed an open wound waiting for answers to unresolved questions. It has been a frustrating and painful experience adding to their grief. In spite of all the investigations they have sensed that their search for truth and justice has been thwarted and that no one has been held accountable," said the Bishop of Liverpool, James Jones, who chaired the Panel.

"The documents disclosed to and analysed by the Panel show that the tragedy should never have happened. There were clear operational failures in response to the disaster and in its aftermath there were strenuous attempts to deflect the blame onto the fans. The Panel's detailed report shows how vulnerable victims, survivors and their families are when transparency and accountability are compromised."

Updated at 12:59 BST

12:54 BST

More from Andy Hunter on The Sun's report:

A further document records a meeting in Sheffield of Police Federation members on the morning of the publication of the controversial story in The Sun. The police Federation Secretary, Mr Middup, confirmed that 'putting our side of the story over to the press and media' had been his priority. He told the meeting that the Chief Constable had stated that 'the truth could not come from him' but he had given the Police Federation a 'free hand' and his support.

12:50 BST

Andy Hunter in Liverpool has sent this, giving us some details about the report's conclusion on the Sun's "The Truth" story:

Documents disclosed to the Panel show that the allegations were filed by White's News Agency, a Sheffield-based company. They were based on meetings over three days between agency staff and several police officers, together with interviews with Irvine Patnick MP and the South yorkshire Federation Secretary, Paul Middup.

12:49 BST

There were gasps in the House as it was revealed that 164 evidence statements were "significantly" altered and 116 had comments that were critical of police removed.

Summary: Cameron: 'Safety of the crowd was compromised on every level....

A crush appeared in the same circumstances the year before.....

Several newspapers printed false allegations... The Sun was wrong in printing these as 'The Truth'' - source Sheffield newssource - South Yorkshire Police and Irvine Patnick quoted by Cameron. '164 statements ammended and 116 explicity removed comments....

Police officers attempted to impune the reputation of the deceased. Alcohol consumption was unremarkable and not exceptional for a leisure occasion'. Cameron also praised the efforts of MP Andy Burnham.

.....'The Coroners 3.15 cut off and the coroners verdict was wrong, 28 individuals could have reversible asphyxia beyond 3.15pm cut off and what happened afterwards was significant in terms of whether they lived or died. The Attorney General can apply to the court to quash the verdict in the light of this evidence'. Cameron apologised to the families for the double injustice they have suffered.

Ed Milliband - very poignant, commended the families who have persisted in their fight for justice for 23 years. Called for new inquests. For those who wronged the victims, specifically the police, to be held accountable.

I am pleased with the sentiment expressed by Cameron and Milliband - but I am not convinced that Thatcher played no part in the deceit he talked of, as Cameron said she hadn't.

Andy Burnham talked of 'A catalogue of failures.....sheer mendacity.... parents only hearing today what happened to their children because people who were employed to protect them focussed on protecting themselves and not the bereaved' and called on Cameron to encourage the Attorney General to request new inquests.

Those responsible should be held accountable and apologise. Thank you to the Hillsborough Families and those who never gave up in their fight for the truth.

Edited by Darth Vader

I notice the old thread is "closed for review" but it way be worth searching it out and reminding ourselves of a number of the comments made on there...

Well i for one have always thought the liverpool fans contributed to the disaster, seems i like many others were wrong and apologise for any comments i may have made in the past.

Well i for one have always thought the liverpool fans contributed to the disaster, seems i like many others were wrong and apologise for any comments i may have made in the past.

That has brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for your graciousness, sincerely.

me aswell, certainly from going on what a work collegue at work told me about the day, he was a steward on the infamous gate and always thought the fans had to shoulder some of the blame. i'll have to see what he thinks now the report has come out. it looks like thing were covered up so an apology is owed by whoever it was

It’s clear that the police and the politicians have behaved appallingly in this matter.

The police panicked and made the wrong decision, they then; inexcusably; compounded their wrongdoing by falsifying statements and lying.

It would appear that certain politicians colluded in this. Investigations should be made with a view to bringing prosecutions over this potential perversion of the course of justice.

However, had the fans who arrived late queued in an orderly manner, the police would not have been forced into making said erroneous decision, therefore the late-arriving fans must also be viewed as having some degree of culpability.

me aswell, certainly from going on what a work collegue at work told me about the day, he was a steward on the infamous gate and always thought the fans had to shoulder some of the blame. i'll have to see what he thinks now the report has come out. it looks like thing were covered up so an apology is owed by whoever it was

Hang on? Was he an eyewitness? If he was and he thinks that the fans outside should shoulder some of the blame then why would you think that some documents would make him change his mind?

It’s clear that the police and the politicians have behaved appallingly in this matter.

The police panicked and made the wrong decision, they then; inexcusably; compounded their wrongdoing by falsifying statements and lying.

It would appear that certain politicians colluded in this. Investigations should be made with a view to bringing prosecutions over this potential perversion of the course of justice.

However, had the fans who arrived late queued in an orderly manner, the police would not have been forced into making said erroneous decision, therefore the late-arriving fans must also be viewed as having some degree of culpability.

For the first time, I'm not even going to challenge this garbage - BECAUSE FROM MIDDAY TODAY, I DON'T NEED TO!

:clap:

Well done to all of those who have campaigned tirelessly for this day.

23 years..23 years it's taken

Those who doubted....If you had bothered to read the Taylor report you'd have found out all you needed to know back then..but mud sticks and thanks to that vile newspaper, despite fans being exonerrated of any blame it's still taken to this day for the actual 'truth' to hit home

I've seen comments on this forum that border on the vile but most of them are mis-informed and ignorant of the facts. You know who you are, you should be ashamed. You chose to pick the elements you wanted to hear to justify your own pathetic attempts at football banter.

Thankfully you're in the minority.

This transcends football rivalry. People died going to a football match through no fault of their own. Parents sent children to a game and they never returned. Just try and imagine the pain that causes a parent then add to that the lies and the cover up and the constant search for answers and the truth.

To this day not one person has been prosecuted for the deaths of 96 people.

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end for the families and the previous inquest is quashed and a new one opened. They are a truly inspiration, amazing set of people, far more courageous than I could ever be.

JFT96

Edited by wibbles

agree with pretty much all of that but not sure prosecutions would happen, i mean was there anything back then they could of been charged with? the opening of the gate had to be done so the police can't be blamed for that otherwise if people had died outside there would of been questions as to why it wasn't opened. any mistakes made that day shouldn't of been covered up, if i'm right in thinking that was the first major incident that had happened at a football stadium so the main thing is lessons were learnt as how to avoid the same thing happening again.

anyway at least any cover up that did happen will be uncovered hopefully and the individuals that were accountable for that should be made to apologise or have it in them to offer an apology