Clegg calls gay marriage opponents "bigots"

No because I'm not demonstrating any intolerance to his opinion.

Yes you are, you accused him of bigotry, which was the very thing he did which caused you to accuse him...

bigotry

intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself:

No being intolerant of their opinion makes you a bigot.

The bit in bold is the bit you invented.

Bigotry is intolerance of others who hold different opinions, not being intolerance of the opinion they hold, and definitely not in identifying that opinion as making them a bigot.

Identifying that someone is a bigot is not in itself intolerance, and so does not make one (or Nick) a bigot.

You don't have to be convinced, you just have to accept its their opinion and they are entitled to it, if you are intolerant of their opinion then you are also a bigot.

You assertion is that Nick Clegg is a bigot for describing people who are against gay marriage as bigots.

You are wrong.

Whilst they are entitled to an opinion (and I accept that it is their opinion), holding that opinion makes them bigots. Identifying them as such does not make anyone else a bigot.

Being intolerant of an intolerant opinion does not make one a bigot, that definition is circular and nonsensical.

I'm not sure if intolerance of somebody else's intolerance could be called bigotry, or else we are all bigots and the word becomes redundant.

Besides, what the extracts said was:

"Continued trouble in the economy gives the bigots a stick to beat us with, as they demand we 'postpone' the equalities agenda in order to deal with 'the things people really care about'."

Bigots are doing exactly that, so it's correct, but it doesn't say that all opponents to gay marriage are bigots.

A bigot is someone who is strongly partial to their own group...or politics and is intolerant of those who differ'.

Bearing that in mind I would say that the most bigoted group in society today is the politically correct or 'equalities' lobby.

I'm not against gay marriage personally (if the churches in question such as the quakers want to perform it). But I can understand that, as marriage is an institution rooted in Christianity with deep theological roots regarding it's purpose as being a sacred institution for the sexual act and specifically the sexual act which can result in procreation, then I understand why some Christian's are opposed to it.

And I can't understand why some people are so disturbed by the fact their are people who hold these differing opinions and feel the need to insult them.

But I can understand that, as marriage is an institution rooted in Christianity

No it isn't. Marriages existed long before Christ.

with deep theological roots regarding it's purpose as being a sacred institution for the sexual act

Theology being the study of something that can't be studied. ;)

then I understand why some Christian's are opposed to it.

Indeed. Bigotry.

A bigot is someone who is strongly partial to their own group...or politics and is intolerant of those who differ'.

Bearing that in mind I would say that the most bigoted group in society today is the politically correct or 'equalities' lobby.

I'm not against gay marriage personally (if the churches in question such as the quakers want to perform it). But I can understand that, as marriage is an institution rooted in Christianity with deep theological roots regarding it's purpose as being a sacred institution for the sexual act and specifically the sexual act which can result in procreation, then I understand why some Christian's are opposed to it.

And I can't understand why some people are so disturbed by the fact their are people who hold these differing opinions and feel the need to insult them.

Eh? Marriage has existed outside of biblical influence and Christianity for far longer than it has existed within. And even within Christian societies the role of religion within a marriage was actually something the church had to impose as its influence grew. For a long time early Christian societies saw marriage as a private affair.

It wasn't until the 1600s that the Church's permission was required to get married. The Church then interfered in numerous ways in defining marriage requirements.

You assertion is that Nick Clegg is a bigot for describing people who are against gay marriage as bigots.

You are wrong.

Whilst they are entitled to an opinion (and I accept that it is their opinion), holding that opinion makes them bigots. Identifying them as such does not make anyone else a bigot.

Being intolerant of an intolerant opinion does not make one a bigot, that definition is circular and nonsensical.

It doesn't necessarily make them bigots. There may be many reasons why they are opposed to gay marriage, it's not necessarily as simple as 'I don't like gays and I just don't think they should be allowed to get married'. There are quite complex theological reasoning behind this for many christians who have thought long and hard about it, so to simply label anybody who disagrees as a 'bigot' is in itself bigoted.

There are quite complex theological reasoning behind this for many christians who have thought long and hard about it

Such as?

There are deep theological arguments about the sacredness of sperm, but we don't ban condoms.

You are wrong.

So if Cleggy is not a bigot for calling people bigots who are not in fact bigots, I suppose it just makes him an idiot.

No it isn't. Marriages existed long before Christ.

Theology being the study of something that can't be studied. ;)

Indeed. Bigotry.

A formalised union of two people existed, it wasn't marriage in the Christian sense.

Theology - that is simply your opinion.

And anyway - none of that answers the main point I made. Those who are guiltiest of bigotry in today's society are the left wing politically correct lobby who hold an orthodox set of views and attack anybody who disagrees with them.

So if Cleggy is not a bigot for calling people bigots who are not in fact bigots, I suppose it just makes him an idiot.

Read the extract which mentions bigot, which I have posted twice now, and tell me how you arrive at the conclusion that Nick Clegg called people who are not bigots "bigots".

:huh:

Read the extract which mentions bigot, which I have posted twice now, and tell me how you arrive at the conclusion that Nick Clegg called people who are not bigots "bigots".

:huh:

So he didn't call anybody bigots? I thought that was the basis of the thread?