Kickboxing for beginners

(with regards to the broomgrove class's i suppose)

Hey all,

Looking to get back into kick boxing - though haven’t done it for years and years (bear belly bloat later)

I’ve done a little karate, kick boxing and tia boxing at uni a few years back, i would still class my self as a beginner although i should think after a few months training and fitness improvements i would be getting back to my self.

I came to couple of class's in my 2nd year of uni when tia boxing closed down but was a little out of my depth in the later class's and the first class's were rammed full. Am i ok to come along to the beginner class's and just start from the basics or are they still really busy?

Cheers

Lew

Hi lew

You will be more than welcome at any of the beginers classes.

Not too busy at the moment mate. See you there

Farhad

Riky

I can believe that youre a 3rd Dan and possibly your credentials in Karate/Taekwondo but those claims of you being 7 times British and 1 time european champion in kickboxing do sound like outlandish claims.

I am well versed in the kickboxing scene and to be honest, I had never heard of you as a kickboxer. I had heard your name as a semi contact fighter but not as a kickboxer. I have reffereed you in the light contact and know your standard and in all honesty you are not bad BUT definitely not british or european championship standard.

No disrespect meant of course.

In future be happy with what you have got and dont try to make exaggerated claims especially in front of those who know what they are on about.

Again no disrespect meant just stating my honest opinion which is based on actual knowledge.

Peace

Farhad

lol, very surreal. I seem to remember not too long ago a certain instructor bigging up his "kickboxing" British champions.

Chinny_lynne - Stop picking fights and get a hobby...or maybe a pet!

*sarahbabe*

Hi Chefkicker

I've trained in lau gar kung fu in Barnsley for 6 years (1st degree) and have started Royce Gracie BJJ in the last few months.

Would like to come along for a few pointers and help etc. and see what's what. What equipment would I need to bring if any? Would either Tues or Fri be OK?

Not particularly interested in comps. but some realistic techniques wouldn't go a miss.

Many Thanks

Nice one Freddy, when are you back in sheffield next? Please turn on your phone it is easier to contact Tony Blair than it is to get hold of you!

I will reiterate :

BEGINNERS CLASSES :

MONDAY 830PM , THURSDAY 830PM , SUNDAY 12-130PM (Wellington Street)

TUESDAY/THURSDAY 730PM (Sheffield Hallam University, Broomgrove Road)

WEDNESDAY 6-7PM ( Usport , Goodwin sports centre)

Female only class = THURSDAY 730PM (Wellington street boxing gym)

Want to just do your own thing and be coached on a few finer points (wether beginner or advanced) :

FRIDAY 6-7PM

Or, if you have done kickboxing before or another martial art to a decent standard,

EXPERIENCED CLASSES :

MONDAY 630-830PM (Wellington Street Boxing gym)

TUESDAY/THURSDAY 830-930pm (Sheffield Hallam University, Broomgrove Road)

FRIDAY 7-830PM (Wellington street boxing gym)

Visiting martial artists/boxers/kick or thaiboxers from other gyms are always welcome and regularly make an appearance at AFK.

We seem to be getting members from Royce Gracie BJJ club, Tangsoodo and also quite a few amateur boxers seem to be giving kickboxing a try. All of them add to the multi cultural/multi style sort of flavour at AFK.

Hi Ceej

More than welcome at either of them Tuesday at sheffield hallam uni , or even Friday at wellington street boxing gym. Or any of the others for that matter.

Bring your training kit (kickboxing pants), sparring gear in case were doing sparring/sparring drills. Oh dont forget your groin guard. Competition is totally up to you.

Hi Farhad

Congratulations on the last show I heard from the guys it was a great night.

Craig

Chinny_lynne - Stop picking fights and get a hobby...or maybe a pet!

*sarahbabe*

Not picking fights..... just pointing out hypocrisy of the worst kind.

That class was quality - just what ive been looking for

although i feel like ive been hit by a train this morning just from 1 hour of light excersise.. how unfit am i!! haha :blush:

Thanks Chefkicker. Am working away at the moment so not sure I'll be able to make the Friday session for a couple of weeks. But hopefully will be there one Friday very soon.

Kick boxing pants? = will shorts do?

Cheers

I think some of my mates might train with you i.e. Ravi (I'm a physio student too)

Not picking fights..... just pointing out hypocrisy of the worst kind.

Do you see anyone else making the same accusations...no! so if you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say it...or perhaps u could present your arguments in a less infantile way? OR back to my original idea: get a pet?

*sarahbabe*

Do you see anyone else making the same accusations...no! so if you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say it...or perhaps u could present your arguments in a less infantile way? OR back to my original idea: get a pet?

*sarahbabe*

Nice one Sarahbabe ,

See you tomorrow morning I hope :)

Hi guys : Ceej and lewjam.

Lewjam, you gave 110% and your kicks were strong. I hope you benefit from the training at AFK in more ways than one and exceed your personal expectations.

Hi Ceej, Ravi won on our last show. Hes a good kickboxer once he gets rid of the butterlies ;) Shorts are ok, see you soon!

:thumbsup:

Lol, i think you're missing my point.

Do you see anyone else making the same accusations...no!

errr, yes...... actually that would be Fraudhad. I hope you can see the irony in him bigging up his own fighters as FC kickboxers, but forgetting to mention their LC background. But then being quite happy to rag on someone else for doing the same.

or perhaps u could present your arguments in a less infantile way?

That would be difficult, i'm pretty immature. But then isn't it pretty infantile to be sticking up for your buddy, without actually understanding what he is being accused of?

OR back to my original idea: get a pet?

I have a pet; but unfortunatley my cat (Keith) is suffering from a rare chest infection, and is quite sick at the vets. Fingers crossed for him.