Victory for the ginger-haired?

So do you think gingerism is an acceptable prejudice?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. So do you think gingerism is an acceptable prejudice?

• Yes
    • No

3 of my grandaughters have beautiful ginger (or as they prefer to call it Gold) hair. Two of them live in Hoyalnd and have had no problem at all, their hair is actually admired by school friends..

The other grandaughter is a different story altogether, she lives in Northampton and she has suffered really bad bullying. Last week two boys actually attacked her on her way home from school. first of all they took her school bag and emptied it into the road, luckily the gentleman driving the car stopped it and got out and helped her gather her things. She set off for home again and they were waiting around a corner and hit her several times and pushed her over a wall. She had a graze and bruise on her face, a graze on her arm and a huge bruise on her leg where she had been kicked. All because she has red hair. So do I.

What an horrific tale,i think that these days isms are used to cover up the amount of bigotism there is around.

At school ginger haired lads got the name ginners and the girls would sing "gingers thart barmy,tharll never be a scout with thi shirt hanging out".

Hand on heart ,that is as far as it went,there was no animosity,none of the bile and hatred shown today.

And as a footnote,every kid was "christened"with a nickname by his peers.ginners was in no way meant in a derogatory way.

The abuse towards gingers is quite astounding.

And it is widespread.

Yet all we seem to hear about is the bullying of BMEs and homosexuals.

I can't believe that this is in the "I'm bored" section. The section for jokey threads.

The abuse towards gingers is quite astounding.

And it is widespread.

Yet all we seem to hear about is the bullying of BMEs and homosexuals.

I can't believe that this is in the "I'm bored" section. The section for jokey threads.

A kindred spirit.......

I honestly think that the difference was that if our parents heard us, or got to hear of us being unkind,they would chastise us and put us right on what was fun and what was unacceptable.

Exactly, my daughter heard her middle girl being mean to the youngest and gave her a real telling off, saying it was bullying and she wouldn't tolerate it. She lost her Friday treat for that, she hasn't done it since. In all honesty I think she may have over reacted as all three girls are very loving and support each other at school and all sisters have tiffs.

My daughter in law had to go to school with my grandaughter who had to make a statement which the head teacher kept, but she did say one of the boys came from a troubled home. I told her to take photo's and say if something isn't done she will take them to the police. May be bit extreme but this isn't the first time and it isn't just those two boys.

When did this animosity against redheads start? I don't remember it from my childhood or teens at all. I think it's jealousy really. Redheads stand out from the crowd and are renowned for being quick tempered and fearless. Must be the Viking heritage. Ordinary people can't stand the competition :D

There are loads of redheads where I live, both adults and children. Maybe we'll outbreed the prejudiced people in the end.

But yes, I agree it's as bad, if not worse than many other 'isms' and we should be protected from prejudice and discrimination.

It seemed to become with it in the Chris Evans,Ginger Spice era..ginger minger and ginger whinger was particularly bandied about regularly by the tabloid press.

curriechick that was awful what happened to your grand-daughter, the boys ought to be held accountable for their actions. At the very least they should be made to apologize and get suspended. When I first met my husband it was in a cinema, I thought he was blonde in the dark. He made a date for the next day when he walked me home, BTW he wasn't a stranger to my friend, she knew him from chapel. Anyway the next day I was stood there waiting for him, and lo and behold a young man approached me with the reddest hair you've ever seen. It wasn't so much the red hair that first put me off, but the fact he had big red spots to match, and a green plaid like suit. :hihi: Anyway he must have grown on me because we finished up marrying each other. :hihi:

I too am a redhead, though these days it is shot through with gray which actually looks blonde so it looks like I have highlights. It's the best it has every looked.

However as a child I was really carrotty red, and I used to get called names at school, the usual Duracell (copper coloured top) Coconut, Ginner this wasn't helped by the fact I had those awful NHS specs too.

Even then though it wasn't malicious bullying and violence as it is these days. Like Rossy said everyone had a nickname, my brother was willy, because he had 10-2 feet and walked like the penguin Chilly Willy (we were an unfortunate family come to think of it)!! and is still in fact called it. There was also Fat Bob, Twitch, Sniffy Smiffy, Ozzy, Moth, not in my family I hasten to add but friends and these were accepted if you didn't have a nickname you didn't belong.

Yes Joto the head teacher is looking into the problem but as it is now the school holiday it may have to lie until after then, and maybe then it will have been forgotten which may be for the best.

The last two best Doctor Who assistants have been Ginger. Amy Pond and Donna.:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

When did this animosity against redheads start? I don't remember it from my childhood or teens at all...

I agree with you: as a child in the '40s and '50s, I had strikingly red hair, but beyond being called Coppernob once or twice, it was never commented on. Mind you, I was always instantly identified whenever there was any mischief going on... :|

And if red hair was really so terrible, why did so many of our contemporaries go to all the trouble of dyeing their hair to make it look like ours? :confused:

Ginger is the new black...

My son is mad on red headed girls....

'I bet you're glad your daughter isn't ginger like you': Furious mother wins apology and compensation after bank worker made 'racist' remarks about her hair colour

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2200581/Halifax-I-bet-youre-glad-daughter-isnt-ginger-like-Furious-mother-wins-apology-compensation.html#ixzz2650yFXIL

Now ginger a race ???

So your born hairless your race 1, then you grow hair and it turns ginger your another race, then you get old and it goes grey then your yet another race and then when your realy old and bold your race changes again ??

Help me out here how's your hair colour make you a race ????

I have 2 kids one with blond and one with brown hair, so are they a different race ?

Edited by Eric_Collins