Spinning wheels?

Hi,

Me and a friend have just learnt how to spin wool and as we have half a dozen or so fleeces (long story!) we thought we'll probably need a wheel if we ever want to get enough to knit with. However as I said were pretty new to this, can any one suggest the best place to keep an eye out for such a thing? Obviously we keep checking ebay/gumtree ect but are there any crafty/knitting places that people would suggest to keep an eye on too?

Or completely long shot does anyone know anywhere you can rent/borrow/use a wheel?

Thanks for your help,

The UK Spinners group on Ravelry (you'll need to sign up for a Ravelry account if you're not already a member) is a good place to browse for second-hand wheels and related spinning stuff. They've been popping up quite regularly recently, though the good ones do get snapped up quickly. Great place for spinning advice too.

Ravelry's UK Classifieds group is good too, though most of the spinning-related stuff is usually cross-posted from the Spinners group.

If you're looking to buy, I'd suggest trying several types first to see what you're comfortable with. I think Winghams let you try out the Ashford and Kromski wheels, but I haven't checked recently.

There's someone (or more than one) from the Weavers Spinners and Dyers Guild posting on here from time to time, I think. Do a search for spinning and you should turn up some of their posts. Here's the link to their website.

Edited by Guest

Hi,

My name is Sarah and I am a member of the Weavers, Spinners and Dyers Guild (WSD) we meet on the 2nd Saturday of each month at Jordanthorpe Community Centre, Dyche Lane, we have a business meeting between 10-12 and then the afternoon is an activity or guest speaker.

The next meeting is taking place on the 13th October and is a sharing skills group, this might be a good one to attend as there will be plenty of people there with different spinning wheels for you to have a look at.

We do have a small visitor fee of £4.

If you would like any more information please let me know

Sarah