Why should people visit Sheffield

The attractions of Sheffield are too subtle to detect on a quick visit.Sheffield is a place for residents,whereas York is a place for visitors but I would not wish to live there.I can say the same for Oxford,Bath,Stratford and Towcester.

---------- Post added 08-04-2013 at 08:45 ----------

Leicester is the most diverse city in UK and is a must visit.Loads visit Bradford on Delius pilgrimages.Northampton once shod 200 million members of the empire and is home to the world's deepest municipal swimming pool.

how will you define a place to visit and a place to live.

A place that I like is the victoria quays, for my it has charm. Also the little streets around the cathedral and lyceum.

Also, another good point from where to see the city as a whole is just back the train station and the new path/steps going to Norfolk heritage park. I do like to watch the city from there :)

Comparing Sheffield to places such as York is pointless, while Sheffield has a proud history, industrial history is never going to pull in the punters in the same way a castle or cathedral (of a grander nature then the one present (Durham etc)) will. As many have posted Sheffield's primary competitors are Manchester, Liverpool, Nottingham, Newcastle. Industrial Northern cities that whilst having problems, both internal (Slump estates, unemployment etc) and external (Shotingham, Robberpool etc) have to a certain extent reinvented themselves. The Liverpool One and Albert Dock developments are prime examples in Liverpool of developments with an ability to attract. Meadowhall type developments will never attract people to the city in the same way is city centre developments will in my opinion, and they are far too common now anyway to represent any kind of unique selling point. Sheffield needs to build upon good work like the peace gardens which give the city centre a nice feel; however that may bring people back it won't bring people in the first place. There is an inherent lack of unique draws compared to other localities, such as museums, flagship developments and landmarks. Compare Newcastle-Gateshead Quayside to anywhere in Sheffield and you'll struggle to find a comparable location. The city centre is a void of any kind of activity for children, and the Museams mentioned are too far and disconnected from the city centre, with no natural desire line that makes any kind of sense, the walk is instead disjointed and takes you over main roads The walk to Kelham Island is still confusing to me, and I've lived in the city for near three years. I've never been to Kelham island museum but I have heard its good, but no tourist is going to walk there from the train station or city centre hotel(same applies to other draws such as the botanical garden, and asking tourists to take awkward bus journeys or taxis to places where they could walk to similar attractions in other cities is down right stupid) (The Supertram whilst could have helped is instead suited primarily to locals and to the businesses in the Don Valley). The inner ring road is more of a noose than anything else, making pedestrian access uneasy and unnatural, and to make matters worse, the road system is one of the worst I have seen. To improve these problems there needs to be a strategic improvement to the city centre, within the ring road. Encouraging hotels and access, something I believe the council is making decent strides towards with Moor and the Indoor shopping development; however in this economic climate it's difficult to imagine anything will improve drastically anytime soon.

Edited by JayBev
Missed words

Comparing Sheffield to places such as York is pointless, while Sheffield has a proud history, industrial history is never going to pull in the punters in the same way a castle or cathedral (of a grander nature then the one present (Durham etc)) will.

What about Manchester's museum of Science & Industry?

Or Magna, Rotherham?

Sheffield's industrial museums are good, but there is room for improvement. Opening Saturday would be one.

Meadowhall type developments will never attract people to the city in the same way is city centre developments will in my opinion, and they are far too common now anyway to represent any kind of unique selling point.

Leeds and Liverpool are attracting people with their new or recent shopping centres. But it supplements this with other attractions.

Compare Newcastle-Gateshead Quayside to anywhere in Sheffield and you'll struggle to find a comparable location.<snip>

You're spot on there. Other cities have got a centralised centre and an accessible waterfront and centalised museums. Sheffield doesn't. So maybe it needs an open-top tourist bus to ferry the people to and fro? Liverpool does this with the Duck and Beatles tour buses and taxis.

I wasnt even aware the Museums were closed on weekends, that seems utterly pointless out of holidays! As for the mentioned museums i couldnt say as have never visited them! The point i was trying to make in general is certain places such as York can rely on History far more in attracting tourists then the more Industrial cities such as Sheffield and Newcastle.

True, good points, as you say there location becomes part of an obvious overal experience!

But yeah, id agree, the lack of any kind of central location is a poor strategic desision, the idea of unique method of taking people around the city is an intresting one, as this in itself could become a unique selling point, the liverpool duck boat thing as you mentioned is a great example, London busses a more obvious and less applicable one.

I wasnt even aware the Museums were closed on weekends, that seems utterly pointless out of holidays! As for the mentioned museums i couldnt say as have never visited them! The point i was trying to make in general is certain places such as York can rely on History far more in attracting tourists then the more Industrial cities such as Sheffield and Newcastle.

True, good points, as you say there location becomes part of an obvious overal experience!

But yeah, id agree, the lack of any kind of central location is a poor strategic desision, the idea of unique method of taking people around the city is an intresting one, as this in itself could become a unique selling point, the liverpool duck boat thing as you mentioned is a great example, London busses a more obvious and less applicable one.

i agree holidays made to visit different places museum must be open.

Lived here nearly 40 years and I have to say its not a great place for a tourists day out as realistically , there is not much of a draw in the city....

However , if you are well heeled (or lucky) enough to live on the west side of the city - it really is a tremendous place to live...

Lots of trees , parks , restaurants , cafes and local shops.

Friendly people , good schools. Low crime levels.

Great pubs and beer.

Not too much traffic (compared to other "big" cities. e.g. Manchester is a nightmare considering its the same size as Sheff)

10 mins to town centre . 10 minutes the other way and you are in the Peak District.

Right in the middle of the UK (pretty much) so easy access countrywide.

Does that make sense? Let the tourist hordes go elsewhere I say.

It makes sense from a residents point of view, but for the city as a whole a healthy tourist industry obviously helps. Would also help the regeneration of the city centre which has been in decline since Medowhall.

We need a new slogan:

Visit Sheffield: Less gun crime than other cities of comparable size

Visit Sheffield: It will be great when Sevenstone is eventually built

Visit Sheffield: It's not as bad as you think. Honest

Lived here nearly 40 years and I have to say its not a great place for a tourists day out as realistically , there is not much of a draw in the city....

However , if you are well heeled (or lucky) enough to live on the west side of the city - it really is a tremendous place to live...

Lots of trees , parks , restaurants , cafes and local shops.

Friendly people , good schools. Low crime levels.

Great pubs and beer.

Not too much traffic (compared to other "big" cities. e.g. Manchester is a nightmare considering its the same size as Sheff)

10 mins to town centre . 10 minutes the other way and you are in the Peak District.

Right in the middle of the UK (pretty much) so easy access countrywide.

Agreed. A great place to live, and no, you probably would not come here for your holidays. The quest for tourists is understandable as Sheffield has so few jobs, but its not Spain folks, Sheffield might need to re-invent itself some other way