Student NUS Extra cards on buses

trams accept NUS Extra to support a Unirider ticket. This can be bought by the term or the academic year here: http://www.stagecoachbus.com/tickets.aspx?ref=&inaction=inaction&location_id=17&product_id=2&university_id=&drpOperator2=-1&x=43&y=6

The 80p a journey fare is purely a short term promotion for buses only - trams and trains don't do such offers.

The history of this deal is Stagecoach introduced it to win student passengers off First on the University routes 52/120, First then introduced similar offers on the same routes, Stagecoach extended it to other routes, First followed suit etc etc.

trams and trains being 'premium' modes of transport don't do such dirt cheap single tickets but do reward customers for loyalty (hence discount season tickets/railcards etc).

You can also use the NUS Extra card to purchase a 28 day tram only card. This costs £37 rather than £42.

Guest busdriver1
If you have a student card or nus card you can get basically aby bus in Sheffield for £1 per journey. I am 32 and a student and just use my hallam card on first and stagecoach and it's always been fine

As long as it is a local NUS card.

I emailed stagecoach as i was getting different infos from bus drivers:

Hi,

I have been given very different informations by Bus drivers on the discounts applied to NUS Extra cards holders for bus fares.

Could you please tell me wht the deal is so I can print an email and use it with bus drivers please?

Thanks

Their reply:

Thank you for contacting us

You can purchase the £1.00 fare and the £7.00 Student weekly ticket in Sheffield with the NUS Extra card

I hope this is of help to you, but if you require anything further please do not hesitate to contact us

Regards,

Stagecoach in Yorkshire

As long as it is a local NUS card.

The nus card you buy online is the same all over England so makes no difference, it does say the uni on it but it's small and dark. As for a student card I've gotten on Sheffield buses with my Derby student card.

technically in Sheffield it's meant to be for UoS and SHU students only. However, in all the times I've shown my NUS card, only once have I been asked to show my SHU card

Guest busdriver1
The nus card you buy online is the same all over England so makes no difference, it does say the uni on it but it's small and dark. As for a student card I've gotten on Sheffield buses with my Derby student card.

Well the new instructions for First drivers is Sheffield University Cards only not even Sheffield college cards.

Well the new instructions for First drivers is Sheffield University Cards only not even Sheffield college cards.

Used two buses today on first :) but I do have a Derby and Sheffield uni cards so either way it's all good to me haha, but I did use my Derby one twice today and it was fine.

I've only used it twice but both times(stagecoach and first) it cost £1

Sheffield College cards aren't NUS, however NUS Extra ones are.

From the first website

Just pay your driver as you get on the bus - to help speed things up, please have the right money ready.

You'll need to show the driver your ID each time you buy a £1 student single ticket.

Available with a valid University, NUS or NUS Extra or ISIC ID card.

Not available with any other forms of student ID, such as graduate and apprentice NUS cards