Were you ever a fan of Dire Straits?

I sometimes listen to them when I come on here.

I have Mark Knopfler playing in the background now.

I especially like the instrumental parts when the Irish musicians join in later.

Whatever you think of Mark Knopfler as a singer, you can't deny he is a talented guitarist.

oh he's a great guitarist from what I've heard, heard of but like I said I don't love em, dont hate em, they just sort of bypassed me

might give it a listen on Friday, fancy a drinking and vinyl session on the decks :P heh

The atmospheric Private Investigations - probably my favourite.

And I always loved these lyrics from 'Wild West End'

And now my conductress on the number nineteen, She was a honey

Pink toenails and hands all, dirty with the money

Greasy easy Greasy hair, easy smile

She made me feel nineteen for a while

I was never a fan, but I saw them for free in 1978 before they made it big. They were headline act at the annual end-of-year free concert that Sheffield University Student Union organised every year back then.

They were just on the cusp of becoming famous, through John Peel championing 'Sultans of Swing' on his radio show. It's still the only song of theirs I really like. I know John Peel is better known for playing punk music back then, but he was also responsible for Dire Straits getting famous.

*** I looked it up, it was 13th June 1978

Edited by Blaschka

I wasn't keen on them when they were huge in the 80's but have warmed to them since (it may be an age thing), its been mentioned on here that they were "in it for the money" but as Knopfler is still performing on a low key basis to this day I can't see that being true.

Romeo & Juliet is a great song.

Can't understand the comparisons to Costello as he has to be one (if not THE) most overrated artisit ever!!!

I wasn't keen on them when they were huge in the 80's but have warmed to them since (it may be an age thing), its been mentioned on here that they were "in it for the money" but as Knopfler is still performing on a low key basis to this day I can't see that being true.

Romeo & Juliet is a great song.

Can't understand the comparisons to Costello as he has to be one (if not THE) most overrated artisit ever!!!

I enjoy this version even more then the one on the album.

It seems to get better as it goes on, especially towards the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-G-GHTFoX4

My son bought a cd of theirs last week and likes it, there is an instrumental on it but I don't what it's called

My sister-in-law's has a few of theirs too.

My son bought a cd of theirs last week and likes it, there is an instrumental on it but I don't what it's called

He would probably like this early Dire Straits Sultans of Swing Cressida. The final instrumental piece right at the very end sounds good for anyone who likes that type of sound.

There are some amazing instrumentals. Not necessarily just technically though, just good.

---------- Post added 21-02-2014 at 02:46 ----------

The atmospheric Private Investigations - probably my favourite.

And I always loved these lyrics from 'Wild West End'

Great tune. I'm trying to think of the one 'man basically found a spot, set up home, and ended up a city', but my internet is playing up :mad:

He would probably like this early Dire Straits Sultans of Swing Cressida. The final instrumental piece right at the very end sounds good for anyone who likes that type of sound.

Thanks Janie, I will play it to him:thumbsup:

---------- Post added 21-02-2014 at 07:53 ----------

There are some amazing instrumentals. Not necessarily just technically though, just good.

Cheers *ash*

*ash*you atr nearly right.......lyrics are.....put down his load where he thought it was the best he made a home in tbe wilderness........from telegraph rd track on album titled love over gold. A long track, duration 1r minutes 28 approx.live version from money for nothing cd is also pretty good !

---------- Post added 21-02-2014 at 15:41 ----------

Sorry thats 14 minutes etc.....he s a better guitarist than I m a typist.