Were you ever a fan of Dire Straits?

They have some amazing songs but when I went to see them live they might as well have played the CD and used puppets for all the atmosphere the stage show conveyed which was a bit disappointing.

It's so pointless when people who don't like a band try to pretend their own personal opinion is some sort of fact about them.

Its a shame you were dissapointed,i saw a concert on TV some time back with Mark Knopfler and the Chieftons which i really enjoyed.

I've seen a couple of the Chieftons play at Matt Malloy's a pub famous for its music in Wesport Ireland, it was a great night if you like that kind of music, which i do.

Edited by janie48
missed a word.

Yes, I think both songs are around the same level. Except that I really don't like Elvis Costello. I just think that 'Oliver's Army' is not bad.

You mean you dislike his material his delivery or just his looks?

Did they play The Sultans of swing?

Edited by pattricia

Did they play The Sultans of swing?

Yes (followed by this to make the post at least 10 characters) :)

Yes (followed by this to make the post at least 10 characters) :)

Yes, I like them very much.

The WORST rock music is better than the alleged BEST R'n B.

The night Beyonce headlined Glastonbury was the night music died.

Leona Lewis, Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez etc. etc. etc. just the same old wailing crap...............

And Mr Cowell probably has a load more rubbish waiting in the wings.....:roll:

I like quite a few of Dire Straits' songs............ Why ? because I just do. Perhaps I'm musically uneducated or something, but I like songs because they sound good. So I'm not a pseudo-intellectual musical connoisseur, who studies every chord transition, and the progression from an augmented 6th to a diminished 4th, and I can't listen to a bit of music and instantly know 14 other songs that have the same chord sequence. I just like to listen to some songs. I think that's my secret, I just listen, not disseminate.

Absolutely spot on.

It became very fashionable to knock Dire Straits probably because of the perceived profile of the typical fan (bmw driver working in the city type thing) which I actually feel is inaccurate but that was the perception,anyway if you can get past that then I think they produced some of the best music of that type over many years the following are some of my favs

Sultans of swing

Telegraph road

Romeo and Juliet

Brothers in arms

Your Latest trick

and Going Home the theme from local hero is a particular favorite

If you don't like them because of their music then thats fine I respect that but feel many just enjoy knocking them because its "trendy" to do so.

You mean you dislike his material his delivery or just his looks?

His material and his delivery. His looks are irrelevant. The only other songs of his I care for are 'Alison' & 'Shipbuilding'.

Edited by irenewilde

Love (and have just learnt to play) Money for Nothing

Heavy Fuel Golden Heart :D

not as such, I have brothers in arms and a couple of singles on vinyl, but i dont really play em, they're a band that just seem to have bypassed me tbh

Love (and have just learnt to play) Money for Nothing

Heavy Fuel Golden Heart :D

not as such, I have brothers in arms and a couple of singles on vinyl, but i dont really play em, they're a band that just seem to have bypassed me tbh
I sometimes listen to them when I come on here.

I have Mark Knopfler playing in the background now.

I especially like the instrumental parts when the Irish musicians join in later.

Whatever you think of Mark Knopfler as a singer, you can't deny he is a talented guitarist.