Were you ever a fan of Dire Straits?

The reason why not everyone may have made the connection between "Jumping Jack Flash" and "Money for Nothing" is because there are dozens of songs with a similar guitar riff over a similar beat.

Personally I really dislike silly puns.

Yes many songs are derived from either Chuck Berry or Ellis McDaniel,the latter being unknown to yourself judging by your comments.Can I suggest you listen to HalfMan/HalfBiscuit as they similarly eschew the use of puns?

the latter being unknown to yourself judging by your comments.

Which ones ?

Which ones ?

You identify Ellis Mcdaniels and I will do the same for your comments.

There is nothing about Dire Straits that I ever liked, apart from getting the words "microwave oven" in to a song and even that grates on me.

The reason why not everyone may have made the connection between "Jumping Jack Flash" and "Money for Nothing" is because there are dozens of songs with a similar guitar riff over a similar beat.

Personally I really dislike silly puns.

I havn't worked out whether you like them yet?

Speaking of guitars,thats one of the things i really like about Mark Knopfler.

I'm not much good at describing guitar sounds,but on "Brothers in arms" the guitar really seems to convey emotion,and speaks louder then the words.

Someone told me Sultans of Swing is regarded as great music for the guitar solo part.

Then they're is Romeo and Juliette (on Hepcate's link ) that has a great sound,i think its the bit that comes after "you and me babe how about it" that i used to like.

Edited by janie48

I havn't worked out whether you like them yet?

Speaking of guitars,thats one of the things i really like about Mark Knopfler.

I'm not much good at describing guitar sounds,but on "Brothers in arms" the guitar really seems to convey emotion,and speaks louder then the words.

Someone told me Sultans of Swing is regarded as great music for the guitar solo part.

Then they're is Romeo and Juliette (on Hepcate's link ) that has a great sound,i think its the bit that comes after "you and me babe how about it" that i used to like.

Yes the lyrics on Brother in Arms are rather tepid,a trait exacerbated by Marks nasal drone,so the guitar part rather sparkles by comparison.Would you say this song compares with Olivers Army(Elvis Costello)?

Yes the lyrics on Brother in Arms are rather tepid,a trait exacerbated by Marks nasal drone,so the guitar part rather sparkles by comparison.Would you say this song compares with Olivers Army(Elvis Costello)?

Funny you should mention Elvis. The wife adores him and I can't hear beyond the nasal whine of his lyrics. He doesn't sing them he speaks them same as Knopfler.

No i wouldn't,its a totally different sound,

and i like Mark's voice much more..

Elvis Costello

Don't you mean Declan Patrick MacManus ?

janie48, I stayed out for most of the discussion as Dire Straits aren't my favourites. But they haven't exactly ruined music either. Just a band I've never really warmed to.

Funny you should mention Elvis. The wife adores him and I can't hear beyond the nasal whine of his lyrics. He doesn't sing them he speaks them same as Knopfler.

So Costello 'talks' his way through classics like Alison and Accidents Will Happen?

Ridiculous.

So Costello 'talks' his way through classics like Alison and Accidents Will Happen?

A bit harsh, indeed. But his tremolo voice at the end of every other line gets a bit repetitive over time. Shame, as he's a really good songwriter.

"I want you" was once covered by a Flemish singer. The wailing voice survived :mad::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD9DwhooO7o

Don't you mean Declan Patrick MacManus ?

janie48, I stayed out for most of the discussion as Dire Straits aren't my favourites. But they haven't exactly ruined music either. Just a band I've never really warmed to.

Was there a wrestler called Elvis C then?

I dont think you can ruin music as such can you.However they were formulaic which stifles creativity.At least Dire Straits wrote their own material so they only ruined stuff that was poor to start with.