Were you ever a fan of Dire Straits?

I was listening to an album of theirs recently which i hadn't played for a few years. I had forgotten how good they were.

I love Romeo and Juliette, and Brothers in Arms.

I put them up there with meatloaf and Bon jovi.

Terrible I'm afraid.

I put them up there with meatloaf and Bon jovi.

Terrible I'm afraid.

They had a massive following and Mark Knopfler is very talented,and still sells plenty of concert tickets,and has a fan base all over Europe and in the US.

He could be even more popular if he did more tours,but money was not always a priority and he has done a few charity concerts.

Not hugely. Though you don't get much better than

Not hugely. Though you don't get much better than

I really love that,its a classic.:)

Pure class they are.

I was actually in Magaluf last week and a song of theirs came on. Strange place to hear it I thought, but went down well.

Romeo and Juliet is my fave too.

Knopfler is an amazing guitarist; when you hear him you instinctively know it's him. His playing on the title track Brothers In Arms is incredibly emotional.

But as a band they're not really my thing. I own Brothers In Arms on CD but I'm unlikely to go out and complete my DS collection.

Rock music for people who don't like rock music.Just like Meatloaf and Bon Jovi!

Wasn't too fussed about them when I was younger, but after their music was used in an emotive scene in the West Wing I've started to listen to them a little bit more.

Making Movies wasn't bad, but Brothers in Arms made me want to scream (and still does).

I much prefer Mark Knopfler's solo music for the film Local Hero or his later solo work, if I had to pick.

Guest sibon

I really like the first album, always have done.

In my opinion, they got too big for their boots on Making Movies and never really recovered. Mark Knopfler is a fine guitarist, but he never sounds like he means it.

Never a great fan until I saw them live in 1992.One of the best evenings of my life !