Woodhouse Village 1940's thru to the 60's/70's - don't let the history die

I remember McKennings very well I think that was the shop that sold draught beer? you just took your empty pop bottle to have it filled ( did this every Sunday lunch for my uncle) happy days:):):)

Glad to have been of service - I probably served you as I use to help out when things got hectic. I certainly remeber the sherry on tap!

Lived in the village from 52-74 and went to Woodhouse West School. Remember all the old shops. Father was manager of McKennings (general store) which was just off the junction between Sheffield Road and Stradbroke Road.

When did you go to the West? I was there 51-54.

When did you go to the West? I was there 51-54.

I must have just missed you - I was there 57 - 63, had a couple of years at Beaver Hill then on to CTS/Ashleigh.

Does anyone remember any of the Lambert family from the Mauncer estate?

Does anyone remember any of the Lambert family from the Mauncer estate?

I remeber the name, but no detail. I think they lived a couple of doors up from my grandparents (Hill)

Yes, you are correct. I remember Mrs Hill living near to the Lambert family. The other Lambert family lived on Mauncer Lane in the circle. I married Mick Lambert. I think Mrs Hill's daughter Betty, used to play with Brenda Lambert my husband's older sister.

Anyone know what is happening to the Wesley Chapel these days - when I was last in the area, the Chapel was still standing but not used.

Hi Chris

I'm taking a guess here, but did you live on Sheffield Road near the village?

If so, I think we were in the same class at Woodhouse West.

A few names I remember - Steven Williamson, John Webster, Trevor Kay, John Humphreys.

My name is Mike Bradshaw and having lived away from Sheffield for over 40 years, am now living in Bolsterstone near Stocksbridge.

Hi Chris

I'm taking a guess here, but did you live on Sheffield Road near the village?

If so, I think we were in the same class at Woodhouse West.

A few names I remember - Steven Williamson, John Webster, Trevor Kay, John Humphreys.

My name is Mike Bradshaw and having lived away from Sheffield for over 40 years, am now living in Bolsterstone near Stocksbridge.

Hi Mike

Hope this doesn't pop up twice as I think I might have timed out in my last reply.

The name is in the distant recess of my mind.

Yes lived on Sheffield Rd at the shop (C.M.McKennings & Co Ltd). In the mid 50's there was another shop across from us (Williamsons) which was pulled down when that side of the road was re-developed.

I lived two doors away from Steven Williamson before they moved out to Vicar Lane in the village.

Names I also remeber from Woodhouse West in my year are: Jane Staniforth, Glenn Gillotte, Robert Barnes, Adrian Manson, Susan Grindley (now in Oz). Keep in touch with a couple of these.

Been living in Banbury for long time and have just retired.

Nice to hear from you - keep jogging my mind.

Hi every1 just wondering if any of you is an old friend to my grandad trevor easton can you reply to this if so thanks x

Well lots of old memories in the shape of names and places lost to a former age, life was so simple then. Crusty Bread yes remember the dances at the Endowed - all very innocent, Top Ten can see Ms Knight in my minds eye her shop had a gas light - am I confused I didn't know she had 3 sons?Knew the Laxes and Jackie Stenton - her beehive was one to behold in the 60's. Call 1943 - knew the Lamberts as I lived on the Mauncer my brother Owen knew them better as he was older than me. Chris New - were your parents the Newboulds? Nice people.

Thank you all for the memories didn't think I was delusional of what a lovely place it was to grow up in.

Hi every1 just wondering if any of you is an old friend to my grandad trevor easton can you reply to this if so thanks x

I knew Trev quite well he used to drink in the Royal in Woodhouse couldn,t say we were mates but got to know him as I say being a regular in the Royal.I believe he married one of the Stenton's,I think he married in his drapes (ask Trev to explain what drapes are) used to live on Sheffiel Rd I think near to the Angel, a good lad was Trev but don't get on the wrong side of him, Happy Days in Tommy,s Royal.:):)