Housing threat to Wincobank Hill again

strictly speaking the application relates to the area of the Roman Rig.

By the way- anyone know the nearest woad stockist in Sheffield ?

has a side note building houses doesnt boost the economy you need a tertiary industry that is dig something out of the ground make something out of it and then sell it like sheffield used to do

Anyone interested in supporting the campaign to oppose the developers appeal to erect dwelling houses in the vicinity of the Roman Ridge and Wincobank Hiill Forts? You have till 24th September to submit your comments.

My bolds above and related comments below

This is the strangest comment about this planning application - most people are talking about the historical value of the land but, no, you think it is ok to build the houses as long as it is not making a profit (I am sure your neighbours will be pleased to read your views)

I think you have highlighted my point, out of it's context. What i said is i could understand the argument and those supporting it, however i didn't say that i agree with their view.

Having previously worked as a homeless officer in Sheffield, i understand the issues facing homeless families and their plight. I have never noticed a similar issue for anyone wanting to buy 'affordable' housing in our city. Sheffield has more properties for sale at an affordable price than most large cities in the UK. Indeed numerous terraced houses have sold within the last few months in S4 for less than £60,000. There is already affordable housing in this area, hence my view that more is not essential.

I appreciate you picking me up on this point, because it means that people are taking on board the seriousness of this thread and it's important point is being aired to all who may have a view.

Yesterday i walked up the hill with an archaeologist from Sheffield University for the Roam the Ridge guided walk and the explanation of the importance of this site has reinforced my view that new build properties are not needed or wanted on this site.

Anyone wanting to learn more please look up the 'Friends of Wincobank Hill' website.

The vicinity of Wincobank Hill and the Roman Ridge is an ancient landscape steeped in mystery.

The aerial photograph of the fort shows the manner in which housing has been allowed to encroach, would this happen near to any of the great Wessex hillforts?

Had an email from Bridget Ingle

"Brilliant news! We have just been notified that the Planning Inspector has dismissed Investates appeal to build houses on the historic Wincobank Hill. The land will remain green open space and an important part of the setting for the iron age hill fort which is a scheduled ancient monument.

A big 'thank you' to all of you who signed the petition, it really did make a difference."