Housing threat to Wincobank Hill again

Don't know if there's a thread on this again but the builders are appealing against the turning down of their application and this is the link to the new petition, if people are interested in saving this archealogically and environmentally important area

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/the-planning-inspectorate-refuse-planning-permission-to-build-houses-on-the-historic-roman-ridge-2?utm_source=supporter_message&utm_medium=email

I don't agree that it is - there are already lots of houses in that area.

Now that the planning restrictions have been cancelled this will be rubber stamped through :( After all its the lack of building work that is holding the economy back apparently :huh:

^^

Yep, lots of expensive housing that only a few can afford.

^^

Yep, lots of expensive housing that only a few can afford.

Quite clever i think.Build them,not many buy them and then the council will probably buy them like they have with hyde park.

Regardless of the view some people have of Wincobank Hill, i can assure you, none which are negative have ever walked up there and taken a view of our City. my house backs onto the common and I see it as a priviledge to live in a place with such nice views across a cityscape. i moved here from Wadsley with a house backing onto the common there and find Wincobank just as beautiful a place to live.

So the details are this. A builder has bought some land and is trying to pursuade the council that new 'private' homes are required on this ancient Roman Hill Fort. It would be a shame if this builder gets permission to build here. I'm no expert on Roman Hill Forts but i doubt the Peak Planning Board would be very receptive to a housing development on Mam Tor at Castleton.

If this building plan was to provide housing for homeless families or those in need of social housing I could probably understand the arguement, but this is just a developer out to make 'themselves a profit.'

Please fill in this petition if you feel that part of OUR heritage should be protected. As others have said. When it's gone it's gone.

Bludragonfly

There is an aerial photo which shows just how far development has been allowed to encroach on the vicinity of the hillfort. Seems to me Sheffield has been indifferent to the site.

WB

Regardless of the view some people have of Wincobank Hill, i can assure you, none which are negative have ever walked up there and taken a view of our City. my house backs onto the common and I see it as a priviledge to live in a place with such nice views across a cityscape. i moved here from Wadsley with a house backing onto the common there and find Wincobank just as beautiful a place to live.

So the details are this. A builder has bought some land and is trying to pursuade the council that new 'private' homes are required on this ancient Roman Hill Fort. It would be a shame if this builder gets permission to build here. I'm no expert on Roman Hill Forts but i doubt the Peak Planning Board would be very receptive to a housing development on Mam Tor at Castleton.

If this building plan was to provide housing for homeless families or those in need of social housing I could probably understand the arguement, but this is just a developer out to make 'themselves a profit.'

Please fill in this petition if you feel that part of OUR heritage should be protected. As others have said. When it's gone it's gone.

My bolds above and related comments below

I HAVE walked 'up there' and admired the view, many times. I live very close to the area so don't assume that I can't have walked 'up there' because I am negative about protecting the land

This is not a site of outstanding beauty as Mam Tor or Castleton is. It is a standard hillside that at some point in the past Romans used. University archaeologists have investigate the site and said there is nothing of historical value

This is the strangest comment about this planning application - most people are talking about the historical value of the land but, no, you think it is ok to build the houses as long as it is not making a profit (I am sure your neighbours will be pleased to read your views)

My bolds above and related comments below

I HAVE walked 'up there' and admired the view, many times. I live very close to the area so don't assume that I can't have walked 'up there' because I am negative about protecting the land

This is not a site of outstanding beauty as Mam Tor or Castleton is. It is a standard hillside that at some point in the past Romans used. University archaeologists have investigate the site and said there is nothing of historical value

This is the strangest comment about this planning application - most people are talking about the historical value of the land but, no, you think it is ok to build the houses as long as it is not making a profit (I am sure your neighbours will be pleased to read your views)

Guys

Sorry to be a pedant but its generally regarded as a Brigantian site. Its also a scheduled ancient monument as is the Rig itself.

Regards

WB

If u don't live in Wincobank there is no point commenting on this but for people who do live here and have lived here all there life like myself and many other people the thought of a new housing estate being built on our hill is absolutely disgusting this is hill is part of our area we have plenty of news reporters and people that take there children for walks on these hills if houses were to be built on our hill this would increase the number of breakings and thirds around our areas why not not build houses on the land space off prince of wales road instead which has been a waste land for number of years now leave our hill part of our heritage alone

It is a standard hillside that at some point in the past Romans used.

It wasn't used by Romans it was used by iron age Britons called the Brigantes. The fort is believed to be a part of an ancient defensive line built to try and thwart the invading Romans. So yeah, your information was out of date... Pre-1979 kind of out of date :P

I tried to link to a page on wikipedia about the Brigantes but apparently I have to make more posts in case I'm a spammer.

why not not build houses on the land space off prince of wales road instead which has been a waste land for number of years now leave our hill part of our heritage alone

Or do something with parsons cross.