Need help with stubborn barking dogs

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help.

My dogs bark when we're out.

We've had an expensive dog trainer who said that it would be easier to stop the world turning than to stop my dogs barking.

We've got them toys, bones, chook wings, dry food and other things to keep them occupied.

We've trialled various anti-bark alarms and currently have 4 set up in various parts of the house and garden.

The main culprit worked out that the batteries will run flat eventually, so will stand in front of them and bark until they stop ringing. We also have some plugged into the wall socket.

Again, the main culprit LOVES to bark. She absolutely loves it. It is impossible to take away all stimulii, because she just loves to bark.

We've set up cameras to watch what they get up to during the day and things that set them off are-

Other dogs barking

People pegging out washing

Horses going past

Cats (hiss)

Squirrels.

I know they are common things for dogs to bark at, but they bark for about 2 minutes for each thing, which I can accept is too long.

Serious help only, please.

I don't really want any of the neighbours to call the council, and we do have a lot of retirees around- does

so sorry for you i know how it is, one of mine after 5 years has just started to bark but the thing is she sets all the others off. It has seemed to calm down as my neighbor lets me know but i still don't know the trigger an i still don't know what stop's it. Just a dax thing i think.

Well you have both met me and my dogs so you know I'm in same boat.What I do find that has helped expensive trainers ,dog sitters etc aside is having a fairly stable routine for them so they know roughly at times of the day when they are quiete like after morning walk ,they get no further attention till after dinner time but hey end of day they have an almighty bark when they want attention:(:rolleyes:

I did find with mine i started leaving a toy out for her to play with while i was out made her bark all the more and putting it away has seemed to stop it, but like every thing you try it will take time to tell. I do miss seeing all the dax and would love to meet up soon.

Hi it's a terrible predicament to be in, where in sheffield are you?, as if it helps in anyway I'm a dog walker and could come get them out for 30 mins-1hour on chosen days, mostly the reason I'm employed to be honest, I have lots of calls for people in the same situation!, if you do feel it will help give me a call anytime before 8pm 01144388815(Sarah, Thought4Paws, on weebly (dot)com)

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help.

My dogs bark when we're out.

We've had an expensive dog trainer who said that it would be easier to stop the world turning than to stop my dogs barking.

We've got them toys, bones, chook wings, dry food and other things to keep them occupied.

We've trialled various anti-bark alarms and currently have 4 set up in various parts of the house and garden.

The main culprit worked out that the batteries will run flat eventually, so will stand in front of them and bark until they stop ringing. We also have some plugged into the wall socket.

Again, the main culprit LOVES to bark. She absolutely loves it. It is impossible to take away all stimulii, because she just loves to bark.

We've set up cameras to watch what they get up to during the day and things that set them off are-

Other dogs barking

People pegging out washing

Horses going past

Cats (hiss)

Squirrels.

I know they are common things for dogs to bark at, but they bark for about 2 minutes for each thing, which I can accept is too long.

Serious help only, please.

I don't really want any of the neighbours to call the council, and we do have a lot of retirees around- does

Edited by scissors36
Autocorrect!

I am also in the same boat - again. I had this problem about a year ago. I had no idea until a neighbour told me he'd been gardening one day and the two danes stood looking over the fence barking at him all day long :o I worked out that Skye (our oldest who we got when she was one) was the main culprit, who would rile Bella up so the two of them would gang up together, which would set the cocker off cos she couldn't see what they were barking at! The ****s!

I managed to solve it by hiding in the upstairs window with a jug of cold water, then chucking it at Skye when she barked cos she hates water. Then she worked out that I didn't want her to bark so she would prowl until she got Bella to bark, hoping that I would treat Bella the same, but instead, I still chucked the water at Skye cos if Skye doesn't bark, none of them do.

It's been fine for a year until we came home the other day and the neighbour came over to tell us that they were at it again! They do not bark when I'm in the house, only when we're out, and they're only out for upto 4 hours at a time. I don't like to keep them in because Bella and Alice actually like it outside and often stand at the door if they've been in for a bit.

Skye is very intelligent and would do the same as your dog, work out how to stop or work whatever device/method I think of to her advantage. I think my only option is to leave Skye inside and the others out.

I wish there was a device like a scarecat sprinkler that responded to barking, as a jet of water would work for me. Although, she'd probably destroy the device, plus Alice loves water and would probably bark for fun so she could play in the jets :loopy:

I've found an article on how to stop dogs from barking.

It's quite useful, one thing I've learned from it that I'm going to change, is to not let the dogs in as soon as I come home. Like most dogs, they recognise the sound of my van and get hyperactive as I come up the street, barking like mad. The website says not to let them in when you come home until they are calm and quiet. I'm definitely going to give this a go as it doesn't take them long to calm down.

Hopefully, you might pick something up too :) you never know.

This is a common problem which is seperation anxiety I can help I can't believe a trainer said that they were do wrong if you want some help I will try many thanks from Steve

D.A.P diffuser is your answer!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

when mine start barking witch can be anyone waking past their

gate '' & how dare they'':rolleyes: i have a squirtey bottle sat on the side so when ever they start to bark they get a good squirt & i must admit

it works a treat because after that if they start to bark ive only got to say their name & they do stop :)

Lol shock collar then people wonder why there are so many aggressive dogs around what is wrong worth finding out why then dealing with it