Limage Family Search

Looking for any information on the Limage family . William and Bertha ( parents) Roy , Irene , Gordon and Lesley . Possibly lived in Handsworth ( circa 1950's ) . Gord was a bricklayer , Les drove for a washmachine company ( three wheeler) . Any info will be welcome .

Hi clocker - the marriages index shows a William Limage who married Bertha Walsham in Sheffield in Jan-Mar 1920, with children Irene A. (born Jul-Sep 1920), Roy E. (Jul-Sep 1923), Gordon W. (Oct-Dec 1929) and Leslie (Apr-Jun 1935). Irene evidently married James A. Tomlinson in 1942, a likely child being Roy W.A. Tomlinson, born Apr-Jun 1944. Roy seems to have married Jean Fowler in 1948, and Gordon married Brenda Curtis in Jan-Mar 1954, a likely daughter being Shirley, born Oct-Dec 1954.

The 1911 census shows a 14 year-old William Limage living with his parents and four younger sisters in Creswick Street, and Bertha Walsham as an 11 year-old schoolgirl living nearby with her parents in Exley Avenue. As Gordon was a bricklayer, it seems he followed a long-standing family tradition, as both his grandfathers were bricklayers.

Hope this helps!.:)

Thanks for this Hillsbro . The Roy W. A . Tomlinson is me . Dad was a Canadian over seas during the war and met Mom in Sheffield . You have provided some good info regarding William Limage , that is very helpful .

Many thanks ,

Roy

Hi clocker - the marriages index shows a William Limage who married Bertha Walsham in Sheffield in Jan-Mar 1920, with children Irene A. (born Jul-Sep 1920), Roy E. (Jul-Sep 1923), Gordon W. (Oct-Dec 1929) and Leslie (Apr-Jun 1935). Irene evidently married James A. Tomlinson in 1942, a likely child being Roy W.A. Tomlinson, born Apr-Jun 1944. Roy seems to have married Jean Fowler in 1948, and Gordon married Brenda Curtis in Jan-Mar 1954, a likely daughter being Shirley, born Oct-Dec 1954.

The 1911 census shows a 14 year-old William Limage living with his parents and four younger sisters in Creswick Street, and Bertha Walsham as an 11 year-old schoolgirl living nearby with her parents in Exley Avenue. As Gordon was a bricklayer, it seems he followed a long-standing family tradition, as both his grandfathers were bricklayers.

Hope this helps!.:)

Hello again Roy - PM me an email address if you'd like JPEG scans of the 1911 census pages with the signatures of your great-grandads George Limage (1869-1949) and Ernest Robert Walsham (1874-1923). Limage seems to be an East Anglia surname - George was born at Ramsey, a village north of Huntingdon; his father was a policeman. George seems to have moved to Sheffield in the 1890s; his wife Isabella was Scottish..:)

Here's the school record of Irene Amelia courtesy of Sheffield Indexers:

Limage, Irene Amelia (Student, dob 12 Sep 1920).

Parent or guardian name(s): William Limage (~), of 40 Sydney Rd.

Admitted to Crookesmoor Infants School, Crookesmoor Road, Sheffield, as of 01 Oct 1925,

until 12 Feb 1926, reason for leaving: Left District. Previously attended None.

Regards,

Duffems

Thanks for this one Duffems . Irene was my mother , she passed away last month at the age of 92 . There is on discrepency though and that is with her date of birth , it should be August , not September . I will have to delve deeper on this .

Many thanks for this , appreciated

Here's the school record of Irene Amelia courtesy of Sheffield Indexers:

Limage, Irene Amelia (Student, dob 12 Sep 1920).

Parent or guardian name(s): William Limage (~), of 40 Sydney Rd.

Admitted to Crookesmoor Infants School, Crookesmoor Road, Sheffield, as of 01 Oct 1925,

until 12 Feb 1926, reason for leaving: Left District. Previously attended None.

Regards,

Duffems

Special thanks go to Hillsbro , Smary and Duffems for what amounts to 163 years of Limage family history . Your combined help has filled in many gaps for us . Your help in our seach is greatly appreciated .

Roy Tomlinson

Alberta , Canada

Special thanks go to Hillsbro , Smary and Duffems for what amounts to 163 years of Limage family history . Your combined help has filled in many gaps for us . Your help in our seach is greatly appreciated .

Roy Tomlinson

Alberta , Canada

You're very welcome and, come back to let us know if there's anything further we can find for you, it's just knowing where to look sometimes, good luck.

Regards,

Duffems

Baptisms from St Mary's, Walkley:

born 21 Sep 1907 baptised 16 Oct 1907

Agnes dau of George and Isabella LIMAGE 5Ct./2hse Creswick St. (Bricklayer)

born 3 Jun 1912 baptised 3 Jul 1912

Grace dau of George and Isabella LIMAGE 5ct./2ho Creswick St. (Bricklayer)

Burials in Walkley Cemetery (Parish of St Mary’s, Walkley)

Grave F213 [no MI]

LIMAGE Isabella 17 Oct 1911 5ct./2ho Creswick St. 6y G. Moore

LIMAGE George 17 Nov 1949 43 Gifford Rd. 80 C.W. Fulljames (died 12 Nov 1949)

LIMAGE Isabella Baird 9 Jun 1926 Creswick St. 57 F. Reeve (no grave reference)

[name/date of burial/address or place where death occurred/age/minister]

I have assumed that Isabella Baird LIMAGE is buried in this grave although the reference was not entered.

One other burial:

Grave Gp – (no grave number listed)

LIMAGE Annie 7 Apr 1904 Ct. 5 Creswick St. 8 m. (no minister listed)

[Gp means a public grave in section G]

I think George re-married. If the transcription is accurate he was creative with his age!:

Marriage at St Mary’s, Walkley

1 Oct 1932 (after Banns)

George LIMAGE 54 Widr Bricklayer 5c/2h Creswick St.

father: James LIMAGE (Deceased)

Amy Susan BECK 48 Spin 5c/2h Creswick St.

father: James BECK Deceased

minister: T.M. Archer, Vicar

witnesses: Charles Ernest WALLER, Norah WALLER

There are also burials and a marriage at Walkley for the family of a Fred LIMAGE who I think may be a brother of George.

Hugh

Edited by HughW

Hugh ,

Thanks for all of this . Initially we couldn't seem to get past Bertha and William , now we have what amounts to 163 years to sort out thanks to yourself , Hillsbro , Smary and Duffems .

Thank you so much all of you , you guys are great :)

Roy

Baptisms from St Mary's, Walkley:

born 21 Sep 1907 baptised 16 Oct 1907

Agnes dau of George and Isabella LIMAGE 5Ct./2hse Creswick St. (Bricklayer)

born 3 Jun 1912 baptised 3 Jul 1912

Grace dau of George and Isabella LIMAGE 5ct./2ho Creswick St. (Bricklayer)

Burials in Walkley Cemetery (Parish of St Mary’s, Walkley)

Grave F213 [no MI]

LIMAGE Isabella 17 Oct 1911 5ct./2ho Creswick St. 6y G. Moore

LIMAGE George 17 Nov 1949 43 Gifford Rd. 80 C.W. Fulljames (died 12 Nov 1949)

LIMAGE Isabella Baird 9 Jun 1926 Creswick St. 57 F. Reeve (no grave reference)

[name/date of burial/address or place where death occurred/age/minister]

I have assumed that Isabella Baird LIMAGE is buried in this grave although the reference was not entered.

One other burial:

Grave Gp – (no grave number listed)

LIMAGE Annie 7 Apr 1904 Ct. 5 Creswick St. 8 m. (no minister listed)

[Gp means a public grave in section G]

I think George re-married. If the transcription is accurate he was creative with his age!:

Marriage at St Mary’s, Walkley

1 Oct 1932 (after Banns)

George LIMAGE 54 Widr Bricklayer 5c/2h Creswick St.

father: James LIMAGE (Deceased)

Amy Susan BECK 48 Spin 5c/2h Creswick St.

father: James BECK Deceased

minister: T.M. Archer, Vicar

witnesses: Charles Ernest WALLER, Norah WALLER

There are also burials and a marriage at Walkley for the family of a Fred LIMAGE who I think may be a brother of George.

Hugh

Thanks for this Hugh , appreciated . I think it might be tied into my search rather than a separate search . I truly did not expect it to have so many involved but I am extremely grateful to all those who are .

Thanks again ,

Roy

You might want to take a look at this thread at RootsChat (from today!):

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=614803.msg4637720

Hugh