Fishing on sheffield canal

Just to clarify there is new signage up at Tinsley Marina entrance.

There are Winter and Summer opening hours.

Winter is 8am till 8pm November to March

Summer is 8am till 10pm April to October

Ask any boater if you do get locked in and they will let you out.

If you plan to visit regularly it might be a good investment to buy a CRT key from the lock keeper or a CRT office so you have access to open and close the gate. Last I knew they were around £6. This will then allow you use of the toilet facilities.

Just as an additional note please be aware that there is no fishing on the bank side from Lock 1 to Lock 2 (where the boats are moored). The tow path is OK.

The rumours about fishing being banned are not true.

as justme111 says, fishing is allowed from the towpath but one concern the boat owners

have is that some anglers are casting bombs and feeders and hitting the boats. if a window got broken would the angler offer to pay for it? better to play safe and drop your cast short.

another concern is litter. i fished the basins last sunday and when i arrived there was a group of volunteers clearing the bank and hedgerows. the amount of rubbish ( empty groundbait bags, sweetcorn and luncheon meat tins, beer cans etc.) collected was disgusting. i appreciate it's a minority who spoil it for the rest of us but if it carrys on we could lose the fishing altogether.

Simple thing is not to fish near the boats, there's plenty of the canal to go at!

When fishing the area around Tinsley Marina, you can use the marina car park. It is open from 8am to 8pm. If you get locked in - see any of the boaters on the lower pond and they will always let you out. The boaters on the top pond are a miserable lot and have in the past tried to shut the gates to trap fishermen's cars inside. Sheffield Council gave £180,000 towards the marina development which also includes the use of the car park by the general public.

When posting it would be advantageous to get your facts right!

If you do happen to get locked in, ANY boater would let you out.

i've parked my car in the marina for many an evening session on the canal and never had a problem with being locked in. if you respect the boat owners and their property they will respect you.

i've parked my car in the marina for many an evening session on the canal and never had a problem with being locked in. if you respect the boat owners and their property they will respect you.

so true charliewag. I know many people who are boaters on the top pound, never met a miserable one yet!

I live close to the Ickles lock marina (rotherham) and have fished it for 5 years or more. I have always been very respectful of the boaters their, i wouldn't dream of making noise in a morning or casting anywhere near their bedroom or front room! This shows when they wave at me and ask how's the fishing. It's mostly common sense and simple manors really. I echo the comments mentioned earlier, it's only a few that give the rest a bad name.

I feel for the boaters in a way because inadvertently, it's their warmth, maintenance and waste that makes the marinas such good fishing! and while the canal has many users, you gotta respect the ones that sleep on it! Personally, i'm not sure I could, the internet connection must be slow. I digress.

Anyone manage a session on the canal then since the temps have been up? I was hoping to get out but I was defeated by the high winds since I would have to travel by bike with all my tackle.

Seems as though the wind will be up until Fri but then the temps drop again abit.. Can't win can we. I might just go up to one of the basins on Fri afternoon as I'm off then anyway and see how it goes.

Yes I did manage a few hours on Sunday morning, and it was a very enjoyable session tbh.

The main issue was obviously the wind, but as I surveyed the basins at about half 6, I spotted the smallest one was pretty sheltered.

Water temps are up, was 8.6deg (and went to 9.2deg towards dinner time). So went straight in for the pole @ about 10m, maggot on a 20, had a bite instantly, and a fish a chuck for an hour, up to 8oz. Then had a clumping bite and watched the elastic disappear into the water 'spishhkkkk' as the tiny hook pulls out :( - swapped to an 18 hook and carried on catching. Then at about 10am a lovely 1lb roach, happy with that on the smallest basin! After that, the bites went a bit finicky (hard to tell in the wind anyway!) and the winds got up to 40mph gusts that were just too much.

Tried a few casts on the spinner, which was equally as difficult as the wind was bending the PIKE rod lol, then I packed up.

Probably go down again this w/e.

Friday might be a good choice if the winds drop off, hopefully the water will retain a good temp.