Do you think some people have to make a noise when they eat?

Anyone ever died from watching someone eat with their gobs open, no - didn't think so. Get a life may be a good response.:huh:

Angel.

Of course nothing ever irks you? :suspect:

my fella makes a noices when he eats but he dont relise hes doing it till i tell him hes doing

Anyone ever died from watching someone eat with their gobs open, no - didn't think so. Get a life may be a good response.:huh:

Angel.

I think the op was leaning towards distasteful rather than dying.

Why is it 'bad manners'? Perhaps that's just the way they eat. It's more like bad manners to take offence to it, and expect everyone to behave in a certain way, just to please you.

Why is it 'bad manners'? Perhaps that's just the way they eat. It's more like bad manners to take offence to it, and expect everyone to behave in a certain way, just to please you.

So it's acceptable table etiqette? Did your parents not teach you to not talk with your mouth full, keep your arms off the table, fork in left hand and knife in the right, close your mouth when eating, ask to be excused when leaving the table?

Or am I just old fashioned?

:huh:

... I am usually very tolerant of most things...

... sorry if I've offended - my post was intended to be taken generally and not specifically at you :blush:

... sorry if I've offended - my post was intended to be taken generally and not specifically at you :blush:

Noooooo...It's fine, I'm not offended at all. It was a valid point which I answered.

Noooooo...It's fine, I'm not offended at all. It was a valid point which I answered.

Friends again ... :D

:love::love:

Friends again ... :D

:love::love::love:

Ooops that's not appropriate!....(Clears throat and speaks in a gruff voice)

"Yep no problem fella"

So it's acceptable table etiqette? Did your parents not teach you to not talk with your mouth full, keep your arms off the table, fork in left hand and knife in the right, close your mouth when eating, ask to be excused when leaving the table?

Or am I just old fashioned?

:huh:

Nope, they never made a big deal about those kind of things. Personally, I think there are way more important aspects to being a decent human being, and the things you highlight here, and more or less superficial.

However, I concede, we do live in a superficial world, and for the most part, people esteem the superficial. So what do I know?

Nope, they never made a big deal about those kind of things. Personally, I think there are way more important aspects to being a decent human being, and the things you highlight here, and more or less superficial.

However, I concede, we do live in a superficial world, and for the most part, people esteem the superficial. So what do I know?

Well yes I agree, there 'are' more important things in life, as we all know! I just happen to think, in my own quirky way, that table manners are pretty important. Not the be-all and and-all of things but without social skills, it's hard to make your way in life.

Like it's ever going to happen, but imagine for some reason getting an invite to the queens garden party, or some other posh 'do'. You're the only one slouching at the table, elbows on the table, slopping your food around your mouth like a washing machine, using your fork like a shovel. Using the wrong cutlery, insisting on a pint of lager at the table...coughing and farting at the table...etc...etc....

Social skills are important, and table manners are part of those skills.

Yes I know I'm an old fart, but it's the way I was brought up!

I think the problem is when people feel that sophistry is an adequate substitute for being genuinely good natured, considerate, and compassionate etc.

I sometimes get the impression, that with some people (perhaps a minority) who have all these airs and graces, they also go around with a snobbish most unbecoming air of self-superiority.

This is what I mean by some things being more important; for example, being genuine, considerate, and natural.