New Lotus Safety Shoes:Made in India?

I got some new Lotus safety shoes today at work. Very nice they are too. A nice brogue, in brown. On the box it says "Lotus of England"....."Traditional English Shoes Since 1759"....For a safety shoe, they're really nice.

But I was a little nonplussed to find they are actually made in India!!!

Isn't it a bit of slippery marketing to make you believe they're an 'English' product, only to find they are made elsewhere?

I'm afraid that's the way of the world nowadays- we do all the clever complicated design stuff using our experience then ship it off to another country with a cheap labourforce to produce- just look at Dyson hoovers!

Loads of stuff seems to proudly boast 'English designed' :D

It say's nothing about being designed in England. In fact nothing on the box is 'strictly' speaking saying it's made in England. But the overall 'impression' you get is that they are English made...Like the phrase "Traditional English Shoes Since 1759".

it's just a bit irritating!

I'm afraid that's the way of the world nowadays- we do all the clever complicated design stuff using our experience then ship it off to another country with a cheap labourforce to produce- just look at Dyson hoovers!

yeah...that's a travesty too!

On 06/09/2012 at 16:59, PeteMorris said:

I got some new Lotus safety shoes today at work. Very nice they are too. A nice brogue, in brown. On the box it says "Lotus of England"....."Traditional English Shoes Since 1759"....For a safety shoe, they're really nice.

But I was a little nonplussed to find they are actually made in India!!!

Isn't it a bit of slippery marketing to make you believe they're an 'English' product, only to find they are made elsewhere?

Can i know from where did you bought that shoes and are of which brand?
It would be better if you share some pictures of your shoes.
Thanks

18 minutes ago, amy10 said:

Can i know from where did you bought that shoes and are of which brand?
It would be better if you share some pictures of your shoes.
Thanks

I think he got free, from his employer. He is complaining about them being made in India, had he bought them himself he would have had the option of shoes made in India, IndonesiaChina or Korea.

Well paid workers complaining about buying things using cheap labour?

It happens a lot.

The stainless steel sink I have provided by Keepmoat is from a company called Rangemaster and is manufactured in Long Eaton, Nottinghamshire but it is manufactured from cheap stainless steel from Spain.. My phone is from a British company that assembles them in the UK from parts obtained outside the UK.

22 minutes ago, apelike said:

It happens a lot.

The stainless steel sink I have provided by Keepmoat is from a company called Rangemaster and is manufactured in Long Eaton, Nottinghamshire but it is manufactured from cheap stainless steel from Spain.. My phone is from a British company that assembles them in the UK from parts obtained outside the UK.

I understand any British company can out source manufacturing to EU countries and are allowed to state Made in England/ UK if the final assembly happens in the UK.  Also under EU rules part of manufacturing  can happen in countries outside of the EU and the product is still labelled Made in Germany etc.  For example Italian shoes workers have lost jobs because Italian shoe manufactures out source production to Albania to exploit cheap labour, but are allowed to put a Made In Italy label on the finished shoes.

Very similar to Richardson (Sheffield) kitchen knives, now just a brand name owned by a Dutch company.

"Assembled in Sheffield" no doubt from pieces made elsewhere.