Does anyone know where I can buy a gollywog

Isn't WOG the propper term though, a Western Oriental Gentleman, I mean what exactly is Racist about being called that? :huh:

Never heard this before and I doubt whether you have as the orient is in the east.

Never heard this before and I doubt whether you have as the orient is in the east.

I have but was told it was Worldly Oriental Gentelmen, by Great Aunts who died years ago aged in their 90's so it must be an old saying.

Just because you havn't heard it doesn't mean it doesn't exsists.

I bet the OP has no intention of purchasing one.

I bet the op just wanted to start something off, that makes him chuckle behind the screen, glad he did, there has been nothing much to talk about on here recently. :hihi:

I have but was told it was Worldly Oriental Gentelmen, by Great Aunts who died years ago aged in their 90's so it must be an old saying.

Just because you havn't heard it doesn't mean it doesn't exsists.

I think you've just confirmed it doesn't.

I never heard of western oriental gentlemen but it could mean the first black men from the east coming to the west....i don't know though but I can't think of anything else it could of meant

I never heard of western oriental gentlemen but it could mean the first black men from the east coming to the west....i don't know though but I can't think of anything else it could of meant

It's always as I understood the phase to mean!...But then I'm an old fart...Western Oriental Gentlemen! I agree it doesn't make a lot of sense, but then again, in the days when it was prevelent, people didn't know a lot about where places were!

I think it most likely means black slaves so I can see the offense taken by some

I think it most likely means black slaves so I can see the offense taken by some

Black slaves?...So where's the acronym there?

The first eastern men coming to the west (america)...slavery was rife in America back then

Naaaa...I'm pretty sure the first Jamaican immigrants came after the war....I understand there was a reason, but I'm not sure what it was...They came of their own free will and settled in the UK....It was 'they' who were called '****...Oooops I see the mods have banned the word...Shall we say Western Oriental Gentlemen'. At the time I don't think it was meant as a derogatory term.

I remember as kid, my parents used to 'foster' children, as I have in my time. This was waaaay back in the 60's and we had some black children stay with us for a while. I seem to remember it was quite a novelty, as I'd never seen anyone who was 'black' before then. But we treated them just the same as anyone else! They were lovely!

In the US Italians are still given the nick name WOP doesn't seem to bother them, originates from when they arrived to Ellis island in droves, most had WOP written on their backs going though customs ,meaning Without Papers.

Brits still get called Limeys , doesn't bother them either.

In the US Italians are still given the nick name WOP doesn't seem to bother them, originates from when they arrived to Ellis island in droves, most had WOP written on their backs going though customs ,meaning Without Papers.

Brits still get called Limeys , doesn't bother them either.

And 'poms' in Australia....I went there in the 60's and it didn't bother me either!