Tarantula in my garden!!

I thought that the False Widow was poisonous but not deadly? Even the Black Widow isn't deadly. My boss is Australian and was bitten by a Funnelweb and didn't need any antivenom, I had always thought that these were deadly! Apparently only to those with a compromised immune system or with low body weight need treatment.

All spiders are venomous (rather than poisonous) - that's how they hunt!

Whether that venom can affect us is another matter and I don't believe there are any native species that are dangerous to us. Though some can give a painful bite.

Whether that venom can affect us is another matter and I don't believe there are any native species that are dangerous to us. Though some can give a painful bite.

That's what I thought. I don't think I would have been so happy to be around the False Widow this weekend if I thought it could have seriously hurt me. It was actually quite an attractive spider, as spiders go...

Honestly the biggest spider I have ever seen in my life.

I dare not eve go outside. I've silicone sealed my windows shut.

OK it's not black...........or hairy but it's a true gargantuan.

I hope this link works:-

http://instagr.am/p/PNdpKSN9zi/

Why dont you ring for tentacle support :hihi:

I don't like spiders (my husband removed one the diameter of a teacup from the bedroom ceiling the night before last, whilst I squealed ineffectively in the next room), but I think garden spiders are quite pretty (plus they are good for the garden!). That said, I've only really seen them grow to a body size of about 2cms - certainly not tarantula territory!

I built a cold frame from some bricks out of my neighbour's garden on the weekend. There was a false widow on a brick which I just knocked off into the shrubs. That was really interesting - and apparently one of the only few UK spiders that bite. I saw it this morning snuggled away inside the cold frame. It's strange how I have no problem at all with spiders outside, but if I knew there was one of those huge house spiders loose inside my bedroom I would sleep elsewhere!

You sound very like me! I must admit I clicked on the photo of the spider in the OP and was dreading what I'd see. Then I saw it was one of those garden spiders & I wasn't bothered at all. I am terrified (no logic to it at all) of most spiders but I really don't mind these ones! And they really aren't big!

And like you, I'm not really bothered about them when I'm gardening, but *hate* them in the house.

Lovely in your opinion maybe, not everyone has the same opinion as you, you know.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you have to kill it. There's a bit too much of that attitude from human beings, don't you think?

I built a cold frame from some bricks out of my neighbour's garden on the weekend. There was a false widow on a brick which I just knocked off into the shrubs. That was really interesting - and apparently one of the only few UK spiders that bite.

Not sure where you live exactly but very unlikely to find a False Widow outside of the very South of England (Devon, Cornwall etc).

I would have introduced it to the sole of my shoe.

It annoys me when people purposely kill spiders,or any life for that matter, without good reason.I came to this conclusion when i thought about the tree of life and how all living things came out of the primordal soup. It is only by chance that we evolved into the ape that we are and not an arachnid,although there are plenty of people on here creepier than spiders that may share some distant gene.

FACT: We dont get poisonous or deadly spiders in this country. (unless you are allergic)

If its body (not including the legs) is big enough to fit in the palm of your hand then perhaps someone's pet has escaped and you need to call the rspca or some other organisation that can deal with it.

If I found one whose body (including the legs) was big enough to fit in the palm of my hand, my house would be on the market

We've got one of these beauties -

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/ross-mob31/Pregalis.jpg

Stunning spider, Indian Ornamental tarantula, (called Jasmine) around 7 inch leg span. Very similar markings to common jumping spiders found in this country. :)

In this country?...I'm off!

Ive heard on the news before about poisonous spiders thriving in London what have come overfrom abroad in super market fruit

Ive heard on the news before about poisonous spiders thriving in London what have come overfrom abroad in super market fruit

I am afraid when unpacking the shopping that a poisonous spider might be hiding in the bananas. I fling them still packaged into the fruit bowl in the hope that if there should be a biting spider, it won't be biting me.