Whitsuntide traditions

Well I would have done the march with you rog I went from the same church and was a train bearer to the May Queen in 1953. I even have a picture of that procession as it was printed in one of the Handsworth books by Sandra Gillot.

I think I have a copy of that photo in 1953. Which one are you?

Jeang I must know you I lived a couple of doors away from Martin Hardy. I thought it was John his brother that Audrey married. I am the one holding the train nearest the front on the photo. My Dad is actually on the photo with a cigarette in his left hand watching us ready to set off.

Did you use to be Jean W ?

Edited by SILLY

Yes! Sent you a PM

I remember it well. We used to get new clothes and shoes and I remember my mum and dad discussing how they were going to afford it every year :).

It went without saying though that at 'Whitsun', we all HAD to have new clothes.

We used to go down to Wigfalls, which I think was on Shalesmoor (if I remember rightly) and I think my parents used to have to pay for them over the year.

And yes, the sun always shone on Whit Sunday :)

Hi Pamela - what memories of Whitsun! Yes all the new clothes and the small amount of money given by neighbours and relatives. Weston Street Sunday School, of which I belonged went around the local streets singing hymns. We all walked behind the banner, May Queen and her Captain before going off into Weston Park for a large assembly of other church gatherings. I was Queen one year and I sat on a platform with other queens. It was so hot and one poor queen who had a crown of wax flowers found that they started to melt and drip!

Poor girl. It was all part of Whitsuntide and the fun of it all.

As most kids in the 1940 ,s,all new clothes and shoes paid for usually by a provident cheque,which my mom use at Evertons in the Wicker . A 2 pound cheque paid back over about 21 weeks ,The kids of today wouldnt believe what it was like in the in the 1940,s

As most kids in the 1940 ,s,all new clothes and shoes paid for usually by a provident cheque,which my mom use at Evertons in the Wicker . A 2 pound cheque paid back over about 21 weeks ,The kids of today wouldnt believe what it was like in the in the 1940,s

Remember it well and agree with you whole heartedly .For the majority Whitsuntide was the one and only time of the year that we were kitted out for the whole year - and we had to look after them and make sure they lasted .

However . Not wanting to detract from the sentiment of your point , but I would respectfully suggest that rather than whether the kids of today believe what it was like then I would ask , " Did the kids of that era who grew up to be parents and subsequently , grandparents ever learn from that experience " . I would suggest not .

Our parents scrimped and saved ,went without themselves and got themselves into debt. For the most part it was to make sure the presentation of their kids reflected a status in which they as parents could bask .

Unfortunately , parents still do that today but with the added rider of "compensating for their absence ". It goes without saying that the advertising and sales techniques which today's markets employ doesn't help.

" Keeping up with the Jones". used to be a well quoted saying at one time . but it has become an unquoted fact of life today.

Kids , in innocence will neither believe nor understand the realities of life , until parents learn from past experiences .

I remember Whitsuntide very well too. Brings back many happy memories of my time at Darnall Congs. We paraded round the streets in Darnall and ended up for the Whit Sing in High Hazels Park. Our Sunday School Queen was always crowned on Whit Sunday. After the parade we had tea and games. Great times

I loved whitsunday marching behind the band in my new clothes good days

I remember going back to the late 40s & 50s we always had new clothes for Whitsunday & Monday.My mother was good at dressmaking and dressed my sister and myself alike which I hated,my sister being 5years younger than me.We lived on the Wybourn at the time and would go to Lisa Brinz on South St for new liberty bodices, vests, knickers and white ankle socks.We would get dressed in our new outfits which my mother had made and go round all the relatives and nieghbours showing off, if we were lucky we would be given sixpence as soon as we had done the rounds we had to take the clothes off they had to be put away and kept for best.Whit Monday we would have a new home made dress and brown T bar sandals, always brown.oh happy days

I remember going back to the late 40s & 50s we always had new clothes for Whitsunday & Monday.My mother was good at dressmaking and dressed my sister and myself alike which I hated,my sister being 5years younger than me.We lived on the Wybourn at the time and would go to Lisa Brinz on South St for new liberty bodices, vests, knickers and white ankle socks.We would get dressed in our new outfits which my mother had made and go round all the relatives and nieghbours showing off, if we were lucky we would be given sixpence as soon as we had done the rounds we had to take the clothes off they had to be put away and kept for best.Whit Monday we would have a new home made dress and brown T bar sandals, always brown.oh happy days

Saw some in a shop last week [ apparently they are back in fashion now]and i said to my missus " i bet you had a pair of those for whitsuntide" which she did:)

will go and buy a pair,along with a new liberty bodice:hihi: