Is it possible to block phonecalls from other countries?

Can you block telephone calls from other countries?

I suspect you have been getting 4 - 6 calls per day for a week from an international number,

sometimes there is someone there to speak to but more often than not its silent.

Some calls from lo-cost providers are sometimes classed as international as are calls some hospitals

and GPs surguries, so blocking international numbers can be counter productive.

If the caller display say International I've taken to answering the phone and not speaking for 5 seconds

if the caller does not say anything I put the handset next to:

1) Radio 5 live

2) ( if on the computer at the time ) playing a salacious sound track from a japanese video.

If you find a cheap solution or if you find a device that can be connected to

a computer such that you can program your own response please post on this thread.

I don,t think you can we get them on a daily basis its a computer ringing at first there is always a delay whilst a mostly Indian person picks up to pester or scam you!.I always leave it to the answer machine they never reply when asked for a message,look at their number its usually withheld or a string of noughts or a random invented one,they are a pest its usually meal times when they wring!.:suspect::rant:

Can you block telephone calls from other countries?

I have just had this discussion with a B.T chappie from glasgow. the short answer is -no you cannot block these calls. when I mentioned the fact that B.T can arrange for call blocking on"private calls" that do not display the number I.E ex-directory numbers I was told this was possible for domestic calls but not international calls.

I believe the true call machine allows international calls to be blocked.

I suspect you have been getting 4 - 6 calls per day for a week from an international number,

sometimes there is someone there to speak to but more often than not its silent.

Pretty much the case - I might just get rid of the landline. I am sick of the phonecalls.

I,m seriously considering getting a True Call call blocker for this very reason. I would just ignore the Phone but with a very elderly Father and Kids who might need to get hold of me in a hurry I cant. I wish all this cold-calling would go away.

I will stand to be corrected but as I understand there has to be a number for it to be blocked. the " international out of area or private number" calls will not be blocked on this system.

I don,t think you can we get them on a daily basis its a computer ringing at first there is always a delay
What we have experienced, and seems on the increase, is a computerised cold call (pre-recorded msg) made mere instants after we hang up from a 'normal' call.

We don't use the landline much at all, and we only seem to get these "auto-calls" less than a minute after an actual phone conversation (ingoing or outgoing) with someone, never 'out of the blue' (in terms of timing, if you get what I mean).

It's as if there is 'something' in the phone network listening to line activity, to then send the pre-recorded msg to ("ah, someone's at home, they're on the phone, send the auto-call when they hang up" kind of thing).

Which -if averred- would strike me very much as an invasion of privacy. To an extent at least.

After the Phorm affair, nothing surprises me from BT in the least.

As regards the 'international out of area' calls (our phone shows that msg), I would usually pick up, ask them to go forth and procreate (in a very welcoming, mellifluous voice), and hang up - 2 seconds. I find it mildly therapeutic :D

Edited by L00b

I just checked the details and yes you can block all international calls with the true call. I just have mine set to reject all witheld numbers, which has stopped all nuisance calls. You can put individual numbers on a block list too.