Pain clinic - Expectations?

I've got an appointment with the Pain Clinic in a few weeks, I was just wondering what I could expect from the day clinic?

I've been for my initial assessment, and got this appointment through for a full day pretty much

my wife went and they are giving her acupuncture , i thought they were fobbing her off :suspect:

but it has really helped her with her back pain

The pain clinic at Northern general is really good. I have been there and Gill and Miranda were really nice and friendly and helpful. They can do lots of things such as gym work, swimming, acupuncture, teach self massage etc. Best of luck.

Its NGH where my appointment is, I'm going with an open mind

The pain clinic deals with far more than pills because there are lots of other ways of both treating pain and reducing the incidence of pain in the first place.

Once they have done a full assessment they could use anything from counselling to workshops on how to manage goals around pain problems, going through acupuncture, massage, sleep therapies and the like on the way.

They do have the ability to prescribe drugs and they're likely to look at your drug regime in a way that your GP hasn't (for instance, a low dose of 2 or 3 drugs is likely to give you much better pain control than a higher dose of one drug) but lots of research has shown that holistic treatment is really important when dealing with chronic pain and how you live around it- you are not seen by them as a problem that happens to be attached to a person, you are seen as a person who experiences pain. They are likely to treat the person, along with all of the frustration, anger and depression that you're struggling with, along with the pain, mainly because all of the evidence shows that a happier person experiences pain less and finds the pain that they do have is easier to cope with when they're happy than when they're frustrated and upset.

I hope you find the solution you are seeking and some relief from your pain soon :)

Ive been under physio works at NGH asked me if i wanted it but said nope been there done that will stick to me pills lol. But know plenty of people been there and they are good worth trying . Infact daughters under them now . I used to like the one at Western Park Hospy dont think its hold there anymore .

Ive been under physio works at NGH asked me if i wanted it but said nope been there done that will stick to me pills lol. But know plenty of people been there and they are good worth trying . Infact daughters under them now . I used to like the one at Western Park Hospy dont think its hold there anymore .

The palliative care team now work from their own unit at the Northern. I go there every few months to see Dr Noble now.

The palliative care team now work from their own unit at the Northern. I go there every few months to see Dr Noble now.

Think it was Dr White i was under might have retired now though for all i know Cant miss him looks like John Wilson :hihi:

By the way you was spot on with that MRI wont do anything about it though.

Glad to hear I was right, but sad to hear that you're stuck with it now :(

Glad to hear I was right, but sad to hear that you're stuck with it now :(
Yep looks that way least i got some new tabs to try out .At least if things get worse can ask for referal straight back and try again .Problem is too many issue,s on that MRI would mean trial and error if it was just one problem they would have had a go at it.

Well, had the initial one day, then signed up for the 9 week course, I hope its not all Tai Gong and self pitty, yeah its great to know you aren't alone but it doesn't do a jot for my pain.

I'm going to go next week, but if its more the same I don't think its worth me wasting my time

Well, had the initial one day, then signed up for the 9 week course, I hope its not all Tai Gong and self pitty, yeah its great to know you aren't alone but it doesn't do a jot for my pain.

I'm going to go next week, but if its more the same I don't think its worth me wasting my time

Good luck Peaches. Whilst I think the pain clinic do great things in terms of building confidence etc after having been there myself and I do think there is a need for it, I do think you will find it is all Tai Chi and feeling different about pain with Mindfullness. I never even got to see the doctor there to get an pain relief I have to say.