Kids without shoes.

Reported on the news, some kids don't have shoes and a hot meal at least once a day, they would if their parents would stay out of the boozers.:rant:

Stay out of boozer then

how do you know that?

I know that. I often went without new school shoes, trainers for PE or a proper coat for winter because my parents spent all their time and money in the pub.

I had to feed myself most nights as they were out, and that's if there was any food in the house. I missed out on most school trips and basically had to pay my own way from the age of 13 by taking 2 x regular babysitting jobs.

This was 20 years ago, so if it went on then it sure as hell is still going on today.

Its not all about kids..

Most of the time, all I can afford to eat is maybe one sandwhich per day...

You may wish to know that the Save the Children charity are hoping to raise money to lift low paid working families out of poverty in this country and try to lessen the worst effects of the economic climate.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/sep/05/save-the-children-uk-campaign

There again, you might just want to rely on prejudice. It's easier.

Research published by the charity on Wednesday reveals significant numbers of parents in households with income of up to £30,000 a year are willing to skip meals, go into debt, avoid paying bills, and put off replacing worn-out clothing to ensure their children get enough food to eat.

Maybe some lessons in budgeting would be in order, not sure why anyone on that income would need to go without food.

I know that. I often went without new school shoes, trainers for PE or a proper coat for winter because my parents spent all their time and money in the pub.

I had to feed myself most nights as they were out, and that's if there was any food in the house. I missed out on most school trips and basically had to pay my own way from the age of 13 by taking 2 x regular babysitting jobs.

This was 20 years ago, so if it went on then it sure as hell is still going on today.

Please take this in the spirit it's posted, it's said with a good heart. That graphic post has made me feel so sad for the child-you. You must be an exceptional person to have been able to organise yourself as you describe. I know that whatever you've achieved since won't make those early years feel any better when you relive them, and maybe they contain some sad memories, but you're ok now, yes?

Do you think that getting input from an organisation like Save the Children would have made a difference to things? Or would your parents have continued to muddle through and do their own thing and more or less leave you to paddle your own canoe?

I look after my child with no support from his mother. I go without so I can buy him food. We couldn't afford a holiday this year but he didn't complain. His mother only lives three miles away and contributes nothing to his welfare and I feel bitter considering she took me to Family Court to get residence for him. She got legal aid and it must have cost many thousands of pounds for nothing.

Was the 90's the best decade we probably had? ..I may be wrong but looking back on history it seems to be. . I was born in 1983

Was the 90's the best decade we probably had? ..I may be wrong but looking back on history it seems to be. . I was born in 1983

It was an illusion bought on tick.

Apparently running with no footwear is getting a good following. Isn't there a woman walks around town with no shoes on?

Please take this in the spirit it's posted, it's said with a good heart. That graphic post has made me feel so sad for the child-you. You must be an exceptional person to have been able to organise yourself as you describe. I know that whatever you've achieved since won't make those early years feel any better when you relive them, and maybe they contain some sad memories, but you're ok now, yes?

Do you think that getting input from an organisation like Save the Children would have made a difference to things? Or would your parents have continued to muddle through and do their own thing and more or less leave you to paddle your own canoe?

I'm more than ok, it took me a long time to rebuild my relationship with my parents and sometimes I do feel sad about the past, but it made me who I am today.

I honestly don't know if involvement from a charity or 3rd party would have made a difference. I do know I would never have had the courage to approach anyone as I would have been afraid of the consequences, and chances are my parents would have denied they were doing anything wrong.

I totally support childrens charities & social workers as they have an immensely difficult task...neglect at any level is easy to hide, and not only do they have to uncover it, they then have to begin the delicate process of resolving it.

I'm more than ok, it took me a long time to rebuild my relationship with my parents and sometimes I do feel sad about the past, but it made me who I am today.

I honestly don't know if involvement from a charity or 3rd party would have made a difference. I do know I would never have had the courage to approach anyone as I would have been afraid of the consequences, and chances are my parents would have denied they were doing anything wrong.

I totally support childrens charities & social workers as they have an immensely difficult task...neglect at any level is easy to hide, and not only do they have to uncover it, they then have to begin the delicate process of resolving it.

when it comes to charities I"m one of the most cynical people around

but, the subtle clarity in the part you wrote about consequences really emphasizes to me why we need to have somebody looking out for kids.

when you're a kid you really don't know who to turn to ,or whats going happen, so the fear of the unknown sort of outweighs whats happening to you and in alot of cases you end up putting up with it.

Edited by johncocker

What Regatta said about the parents is true, at least for one example that I know of.

One "mother" not far from me was heard complaining that she'd not got enough to feed her kids and that they were living on beans on toast. In the same conversation she was heard asking her eldest to 'fetch her another can (of beer) and her cigs"

Can you provide proof to substantiate that because I think you've just made it up to try and influence public opinion. No doubt you've been reading the Daily Mail again.