What would happen if there was an unmoderated discussion site.

The mods do deal with ' idiots ' who ruin threads, the topics your on about that are closed is probably because the mods feel the thread has ran its course and the only adding posts are bickering so for them to stop the bickering, they close the thread. They will get some things wrong sometimes but because it would be impossible to discuss topics seriously without the mods then little things like that from time to time should be accepted as part of the deal

Then simply warn the 'bickerers' and, if they continue 'bickering', issue bans.

Depending very much on what you mean by 'bickering'- if it's simply disagreeing, then leave it alone- if it's offensive posting, then deal with it as above.

Certainly, the threads i refer to above had not 'run their course' otherwise people wouldn't still have been posting in them.

Neither am I taking about them getting things wrong 'sometimes': at least half of the threads I've seen on the topic of drugs, or religion, have ended up locked or deleted.

Or they could do what the teachers used to do at school. The unruly sods got made prefects!!!

How about if they made you a mod?

I would imagine, sometimes it's a pretty thankless job, especially as it's done as a volunteer. The old addage come to mind ....You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time!

I've been a major contributor on a thread that eventually disappeared! But hey ho, worse things happen. Yes I was a bit miffed at the time, but it aint exactly life threatening is it?

They must be only deleting threads that are against the rules though aren't they? The threads dave is on about, they don't necessarily delete them, they just close them and so his posts still remain there

Bit rich coming from you Rubes, if I may say so! You used to be asking why I and others were not banned for arguing forcefully against the right wing loons when I first joined.

Sounds like you've changed tune, but then you are a Lib Dem!:rolleyes:

to me it sounds like she is supporting free speach and information sharing,

yes forums do need to be moderated but to ensure everyone has a a voice without persecution for your political or personal beliefs. just because you dont agree with right wing beliefs dosnt mean other ppl dont and to exclude threads or condem them is wrong,

and that is were alot of anger comes from because ppl feel they dont have a voice for there own belief

I think perhaps that you are expecting too much in terms of having your words preserved for evermore for the greater benefit of mankind by the forum.

If you want to start unmoderated discussions on topics of your choice, with the freedom to expound at length, and the knowledge your post won't suddenly disappear, may I respectfully suggest a blog? You can then type for hours, remaining assured your efforts will be published.

A deleted thread is no great loss - there's no great wisdom or paradigm shifting discoveries lost to humanity as a result. The topic will crop up again, that's for sure.

Thank you for your advice :)

But, if I wanted to 'blog', I'd do so.

What i want to do is 'discuss', and, I want to do it on this forum, becasue, other than this issue, I think it's a good place, and, being a long-term sheffielder, I want to contribute.

I also think that the issue can easily be resolved by implementing a few basic strategies like the ones I, and others, have suggested in this thread.

so I'm suggesting them, purely because I feel it's possible, a mod with some sense of vision, who realises the board is not quite as good as it could be in terms of it's moderation, might say 'hey- that's an interesting idea, and, it could actually work quite well!'.

Whereas, if I say nothing, then no-one will get to consider the idea.

Then simply warn the 'bickerers' and, if they continue 'bickering', issue bans.

Depending very much on what you mean by 'bickering'- if it's simply disagreeing, then leave it alone- if it's offensive posting, then deal with it as above.

Certainly, the threads i refer to above had not 'run their course' otherwise people wouldn't still have been posting in them.

Neither am I taking about them getting things wrong 'sometimes': at least half of the threads I've seen on the topic of drugs, or religion, have ended up locked or deleted.

Yes I don't really mean bickering but yes being offensive, the little smart remarks that we all make are fine, the mods don't target this unless it gets out of hand

I think perhaps that you are expecting too much in terms of having your words preserved for evermore for the greater benefit of mankind by the forum.

If you want to start unmoderated discussions on topics of your choice, with the freedom to expound at length, and the knowledge your post won't suddenly disappear, may I respectfully suggest a blog? You can then type for hours, remaining assured your efforts will be published.

A deleted thread is no great loss - there's no great wisdom or paradigm shifting discoveries lost to humanity as a result. The topic will crop up again, that's for sure.

But sheffield forum do offer this service in the unmoderated chat rooms they have on here

They must be only deleting threads that are against the rules though aren't they? The threads dave is on about, they don't necessarily delete them, they just close them and so his posts still remain there

No, the threads I refered to, were not against the rules: individual posters said things that were against the rules (swearing/insults etc), and, rather than dealing with those guilty posters and leaving the rest of the thread alone, a mod delelted/locked the thread.

The threads dave is on about, they don't necessarily delete them, they just close them and so his posts still remain there

Sometimes they delete, sometimes they lock: locking is just as bad as deletion- both end the thread, both punish everyone who's contributed, both are counter-productive.

Yes, technically, a locked threads posts are still readable- so what? The essence of a thread is the actual discussion- a discussion can't take place if the threads locked.

In effect this thread is about bickering. Look at the threads number of 'views' and its conception date. If allowed to run it'll leave the "smoking" thread in its wake within another week :hihi:

What's the number of views got to do with a threads value? I'm not sure what point you're making there?

But sheffield forum do offer this service in the unmoderated chat rooms they have on here

I've never seen anyone in a chat room!!! :suspect:...but I 'tend' not to come here in the evening, so there may be someone in there then!

Personally I hate chat rooms! I lose track of what's going on! Oh and I can't type fast enough! :hihi:

Yes I don't really mean bickering but yes being offensive, the little smart remarks that we all make are fine, the mods don't target this unless it gets out of hand

So what's the problem. If a post contains swearing, simply warn the poster, and, if they swear again, ban them. No need whatsoever to lock the thread or delete it.

Obviously, if, bizarrely, every post in the thread contains swearing then delete the thread, but that's never been the case on the threads I'm talking about.

But, just like I'm not interested in 'blogging', I'm not interested in the 'chat room'.

Those things have their function, but they in no way approximate a discussion thread.

Personally I hate chat rooms! I lose track of what's going on! Oh and I can't type fast enough! :hihi:

I know exactly what you mean.:hihi: