What would happen if there was an unmoderated discussion site.

I did? There's a forum saying about 'discuss the post and not the poster'? And another, 'it's better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to post and remove all doubt' Two maxims you might usefully adhere to in future?

And one for you: a sharp tongue is no indication of a sharp mind!:cool:

And one for you: a sharp tongue is no indication of a sharp mind!:cool:
Why come onto a thread and start picking on me personally about a totally unrelated topic? Making uninformed guesses about me and my political affiliations, etc. There's a sticky at the start of every section about invasion of privacy. And we've all seen the mods/admin posting about bickering as well, and yet you can't leave it alone.

Give it a rest, eh? Either discuss the topic, or shut up! Just a suggestion ...

Why come onto a thread and start picking on me personally about a totally unrelated topic? Making uninformed guesses about me and my political affiliations, etc. There's a sticky at the start of every section about invasion of privacy. And we've all seen the mods/admin posting about bickering as well, and yet you can't leave it alone.

Give it a rest, eh? Either discuss the topic, or shut up! Just a suggestion ...

I mere highlighted your hipocrisy. I think we have all been made aware of your political affiliations, no guessing required dear.

Bon soir.

Guest sibon
There is, it's called USENET.

Which ended up as a virtual version of the wild west.

I cut my internet teeth on uk.sport.football. That could be seriously rough at times.

I think I prefer moderated forums:)

I merely highlighted your hypocrisy. I think we have all been made aware of your political affiliations, no guessing required dear. Bon soir.
I think you're skating on thin ice now. Not on this thread yet, but people are being rebuked on other threads for bickering and abuse. I strongly advise you to let this personal abuse lie, you're just making yourself look silly.

I will point out that it takes two to bicker so please if you want this thread to remain open and your accounts unsuspended i suggest you either get back on topic or leave the thread alone.

Which ended up as a virtual version of the wild west.

I cut my internet teeth on uk.sport.football. That could be seriously rough at times.

I think I prefer moderated forums:)

Some of the unmoderated groups in the alt.* and rec.* were pretty good. Spam killed it more than trollery and flame wars. Had some really great, long discussions there, read many more.

The best of it has been assiduously archived. I wonder if anyone is archiving SF?

It would be hilarius. The only moderation needed is deleting anythign illegal posted, or if someone posts up someone elses personal details. Unmoderated forums are a right laugh if you've got thick skin but they can make integrating into other forums hard.

Yes that's right, you could never have a serious discussion that stays on topic if it was not moderated so we should thank them for that

Its the things that are NOT said, that are interesting. Always keep people guessing at what you might say, but dont !:cool:

Its the things that are NOT said, that are interesting. Always keep people guessing at what you might say, but dont !:cool:

Not a lot of guesswork there. Whether you say it or not you're always thinking George Clooney, so not much to moderate.

On here, even if people aren't disagreeing in a bad way, if certain subjects are attempted to be discussed, they disappear.

People spend time looking stuff up, finding links, crafting a line of discussion, bend over backwards to be fair, and come back several hours later to find it's all been deleted. :mad:

Yes- it happens a lot and it's extremely frustrating when you put a lot of time into well-thought out and polite posts, only to have the thread pulled because a moderator is unwilling or incapable of simply dealing with the few who posted insulting comments.

IMO, it's bad moderation- if a user repeatedly breaks the rules, you warn him/her &, if they do it again, you bar them- it's pretty simple: plenty of other board mods manage it. Here it's lock/delete the thread.

Discussions on drugs and religion usually end up locked /deleted- a total waste of the majorites time and effort, to deal with the actions of an offensive minority.