What would happen if there was an unmoderated discussion site.

...and the owners would shut it down once they had been sued a couple of times

Yes. Was it 'Singing Pig' to which that did happen?

It would be full of people abusing each other and tell people to eff off.

youve been to the SF dark side sites then? lol

thats all it is.....about 10 members all abusing each other

It would be hilarius. The only moderation needed is deleting anythign illegal posted, or if someone posts up someone elses personal details. Unmoderated forums are a right laugh if you've got thick skin but they can make integrating into other forums hard.

In an earlier post, I commented about the risk of being sued. However, I now think the bigger risk is contempt of court, which can result in prison.

I have always wondered with websites like this that requires a lot of hard working people to volunteer to moderate it.

Woud it be easier if there was a discussion site with no moderation at all. People could post what they like. Would there be doom and the four horsemen of the appocalypse come and destroy the earth. Or would people just carry on as normal?

Some forums have a "flame section" in which members can take their disagreements and really have it out no holds barred.

Some forums have a "flame section" in which members can take their disagreements and really have it out no holds barred.
On here, even if people aren't disagreeing in a bad way, if certain subjects are attempted to be discussed, they disappear.

People spend time looking stuff up, finding links, crafting a line of discussion, bend over backwards to be fair, and come back several hours later to find it's all been deleted. :mad:

Everything has to be all pink fluffy bunnikins, all for the best in the best of all possible worlds on this forum.

On here, even if people aren't disagreeing in a bad way, if certain subjects are attempted to be discussed, they disappear.

People spend time looking stuff up, finding links, crafting a line of discussion, bend over backwards to be fair, and come back several hours later to find it's all been deleted. :mad:

Everything has to be all pink fluffy bunnikins, all for the best in the best of all possible worlds on this forum.

You only believe this because you can't see what has been removed. If you could see all of the things which break forum rules which are posted you wouldn't question it a bit.

YOU may be posting carefully and not breaking forum rules but, as with one thread I deleted earlier on, if the only post that wouldn't be deleted because they break forum rules is the OP of the post and the other 3 pages all need to be deleted, then what YOU post is not relevant to whether the thread is going to work on open forum.

Bit rich coming from you Rubes, if I may say so! You used to be asking why I and others were not banned for arguing forcefully against the right wing loons when I first joined.

Sounds like you've changed tune, but then you are a Lib Dem!:rolleyes:

Bit rich coming from you Rubes, if I may say so! You used to be asking why I and others were not banned for arguing forcefully against the right wing loons when I first joined.

I have no objection to any post I've had removed if I overstepped the mark, but some are just plain babyish. The other week I posted that I could not give a toss about Phillip being in hospital, it was took off as could upset the younger readers.

No swearing or nothing defamatory, I know this'll get took off, but I'm saying my piece.

Like Ruby says; I love it on here but sometimes its like an episode of "Little house on the Prairie" :loopy::help:

I have no objection to any post I've had removed if I overstepped the mark, but some are just plain babyish. The other week I posted that I could not give a toss about Phillip being in hospital, it was took off as could upset the younger readers.

No swearing or nothing defamatory, I know this'll get took off, but I'm saying my piece.

Like Ruby says; I love it on here but sometimes its like an episode of "Little house on the Prairie" :loopy::help:

If you want to post in a way that's not suitable for our rules then feel free to post, but do it somewhere else where the rules aren't the same as ours.

It was the language you used that was reported as being unsuitable in that instance.

There are many thousands of words in the English language which are suitable for use on the forum and very few which we don't allow at all. Just learn which ones we don't allow and use other ones which explain your position in a more family friendly way and the posts will remain.

On a general note, it's easy to work out whether one's posts are likely to be removed for being abusive. If you disagree with someone's opinions (I think your ideas are wrong) then this is debate and falls within forum rules but the moment you stray from that into insulting the person (You're an idiot because you think.....) then that is over the line of acceptability.

Just learn where the lines are and then debate to your heart's content :)

I have always wondered with websites like this that requires a lot of hard working people to volunteer to moderate it.

Woud it be easier if there was a discussion site with no moderation at all. People could post what they like. Would there be doom and the four horsemen of the appocalypse come and destroy the earth. Or would people just carry on as normal?

There is, it's called USENET.

Usenet is a worldwide distributed Internet discussion system. It was developed from the general purpose UUCP architecture of the same name.

Duke University graduate students Tom Truscott and Jim Ellis conceived the idea in 1979 and it was established in 1980.[1] Users read and post messages (called articles or posts, and collectively termed news) to one or more categories, known as newsgroups. Usenet resembles a bulletin board system (BBS) in many respects, and is the precursor to the various Internet forums that are widely used today.

I did? There's a forum saying about 'discuss the post and not the poster'? And another, 'it's better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to post and remove all doubt' Two maxims you might usefully adhere to in future?

Thanks medusa, so I guess that my post on the London birthrate thread replying to boyfriday's uninformed assumptions was removed because I compared his recent postings to that of another well established troll. Sadly I was not given the further opportunity to disabuse him of his mistaken ideas because although his post remained, mine was deleted and the thread closed by the time I came back from work. My bad, obviously. I'll remember for next time. :)