145 years old today.

Sheffield Wednesday Football Club was formed on 4th September 1867. The Sheffield Wednesday Cricket Club were founded in 1820, and the football club were formed by the members to keep themselves active during the winter months.

The football club is therefore 145 years old, although it's ancestory goes back to 1820. Is that so hard to understand? I suppose it's just the SF way to nitpick and twist words just for the sake of it...

It was anecdotal.

A sports club has existed longer then just the football club.

Not a hard concept, is it?

There are some German clubs which claim to have a far longer history on their crest, by virtue that a sports club existed before the football club, and no one seems to mind.

Chesterfield claim the date of a football club which ceased to exist as their own, just to beat Wednesday by a few years etc.

I was just saying. Some might find it interesting, other more pedantic people choose to not to and find being argumentative the best sport in this forum.

I suppose That's a bit like us saying we were formed in 1854 instead of 1889

In 1863,at Cambridge University, a group of Englishmen formed the Football Association and invented the modern game of soccer.

Sheffield Wednesday were formed in 1867, being as football in its present terms was not being played in the 1820's.

Just take it they are the 5th? oldest club in this country & Sheffield FC the oldest and, Notts County the oldest league club (I believe).

Its a great achievement; but if Mr Wiseup wants to be pedantic Sheffield Wednesday as a football club did NOT come into existence until 1929, and until then were known as just "The Wednesday".

Being as we all like facts; Bramall Lane is, the oldest major stadium in the world still to be hosting professional football matches