Dumpit Site Not Allowing Walkons

yes, its right. it came straight from one of the lads who was working at shirecliffe when i popped in when the all out strike was on a few weeks ago. There were security on the gates ,as the permanent staff were outside on the picket line. I asked this bloke if he was Veolia/Sova management actually doing a days work for a change so the tip could remain open . He told me they were Nottingham tip workers brought up here by their bosses to keep shirecliffe open during the strike. He also said they were told by their bosses there would be repercussions if they refused to work in Sheffield during the strike.

Talking to the regular lads on the pickets outside the dump , they confirmed those working were Sova staff from Nottingham, hence the reason for the security on the gates.

You crossed the picket line?

You crossed the picket line?

It was either that or fly tip down a country lane . I wasnt going to store a load of rubbish at home.

After an incident/discussion/argument with staff at the Beighton road site last week, I called Veolia head office today to find out if pedestrian access is permitted or forbidden at any sites.

After several minutes of discussion with a slightly confused sounding lady, she told me that there are no definite rules about pedestrian access, which I find rather odd.

I was recently told parkwood have been inundated with vans that park on the front and walk in with van loads of rubbish. Now that this rule has been implemented the van owners now have to register and PAY to drop their rubbish. He told me that's why the no pedestrian walk in rule is in place. He also told me that the staff are telling people that there had been an accident that's why the rule is in place witch is a load of rubbish..

I was recently told parkwood have been inundated with vans that park on the front and walk in with van loads of rubbish. Now that this rule has been implemented the van owners now have to register and PAY to drop their rubbish. He told me that's why the no pedestrian walk in rule is in place. He also told me that the staff are telling people that there had been an accident that's why the rule is in place witch is a load of rubbish..

Or fly tip as they are left with no choice

No choice? They can pay the going rate to dispose of trade waste.

No choice? They can pay the going rate to dispose of trade waste.

There you go making the mistake of assuming that all rubbish taken in vans is trade waste .

what about the bloke who needs to get rid of his old sofa, or mattress and happens to have a van ,so takes them down to the tip in that because they wont fit in the car.

Why should he have to pay to dump his OWN rubbish ?

There you go making the mistake of assuming that all rubbish taken in vans is trade waste .

what about the bloke who needs to get rid of his old sofa, or mattress and happens to have a van ,so takes them down to the tip in that because they wont fit in the car.

I think if memory serves me you get one free tip if you have a van but after that you have to pay

I think if memory serves me you get one free tip if you have a van but after that you have to pay

Long wheelbase vans are not allowed in under any circumstances

Same in Rotherham - No walk ons allowed as you would probably get knocked over by the cars. Also stops the vans turning up and parking outside then bringing stuff in.

You can pull up at either side in Dinnington but if you have more than one type of waste you have to walk over the road through the site to use skips at both sides.

I think your second point is more valid. It stops van drivers who haven't got a permit from walking in with their waste.

I see Penistone999 is making the same comments again. Our personal car is a two seater soft top sports car with a tiny boot which isn't much use for the tip. Our car and our truck are bother registered to our company which is a waste business. We explained this to the council and we still got a tip pass for our truck. We don't use the tip much so we don't even need to amount of passed they give you. They have cut the number of trips you are allowed to make each year with a pass book in a van or truck. Its still more than sufficient though.

With reference to collecting bulky items of furniture for disposal; the charge from Rotherham council is very small. Charges are on their website if you want to check. I can't comment on Sheffield as I don't live there.

Edited by Chez2

According to the woman I spoke to on the phone yesterday, there is no rule in place. It seems to be at the discretion of the site staff.

As far as I'm aware (having had similar situations on my own premises in the past) if pedestrians are not allowed access, there needs to be a clear warning sign stating this.

No choice, between illegally dumping trade waste in the dumpit site, or illegally dumping it on the road side.

Oh, apart from registering and then being able to dispose of it correctly.

---------- Post added 07-06-2016 at 08:56 ----------

They don't have to. Residents can register up to 5 visits to the site by van every year.

---------- Post added 07-06-2016 at 08:57 ----------

Long wheelbase vans are not allowed in under any circumstances

You don't need LWB to dispose of a sofa, next excuse for criminal behaviour?