Hi fi separates.... your opinions

IMO with HiFi you get what you pay for & as someone has already pointed out decent interconnects are essential but if you want the very best interconnects at rreasonable prices try this link >> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/JAV-High-End-Audio_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

These people have had their stuff rated better than other speaker cable & inteconncts 10x the price of theirs!! Well worth buying :thumbsup:

Bose, denon, blah

Been there, done that, got pigged off with it and now I own a portable radio and the 14" portable that I use with my £24 dvd player has a 3 inch full range speaker in the top.

As a special treat i have a hand held scanner to use while i an out and about as a radio and it picks up bbc world service for when i go abroad.

Used to have a Sansui tuner/amplifier with Yamaha 3-way speakers, Kenwood cassette deck and a Sony CD player. Replaced it with a Kenwood hi-fi system about 4 years ago, simply because it was compact and also because I was listening to music more off my phone that at home.

But the coolest speaker-system that I have ever seen has to be the Bose Acoustimass AM-7 speaker system :thumbsup:

Bose, denon, blah

Been there, done that, got pigged off with it and now I own a portable radio and the 14" portable that I use with my £24 dvd player has a 3 inch full range speaker in the top.

As a special treat i have a hand held scanner to use while i an out and about as a radio and it picks up bbc world service for when i go abroad.

Why did you get fed up of having real hi fi equipment?

Coolest looking speaker system would have to go to Void Acoustics Air series of speakers: http://www.voidaudio.com/product_detail.asp?id=42

Okay - I will correct my statement!

But the coolest speaker-system that I have ever HEARD has to be the Bose Acoustimass AM-7 speaker system :D

Ressurrecting an old thread, but I don't care :D

Forgot to add my equipment list:

In front room:

Logic DM101 turntable, Rega RB250, Dyanvector DV20XH

Marantz DV4200 OSE

Akai GX-77

Exposure VII/VIII

Castle Harlech

Yamaha DSP-E800

Kef Q6c

Wharfedale bipolar rears

Upstairs:

Thorens TD-160/SME 3009/Denon DL-103

Marantz CD63

Marantz PM-17 KI

Akai GX-77

Monitor Audio R852

The kit I keep buying from ebay keeps getting older, alot of my stuff was made in the 80's, I used to have up-to-date kit, but older s/h absolutlely kills the newer kit in the sound quality stakes.

I like Sherwood tbh ;) - got a Sherwood Digiline II AX-4050DR Amp and its great :)

If you are buying a complete system, here is a really good tip. Decide on your budget and then roughly divide it as follows:

CD player 30%

Stereo Amp 30%

Pair speakers 40%

For a home cinema system :

DVD/CD player 15%

Multi-channel Amp 25%

Pair front speakers 20%

Pair rear speakers 10%

Centre speaker 10%

Sub-woofer 20%

The most common mistake is to buy a decent front end setup and then add naff speakers, either because they fit in with the decor or they 'look' good. Speakers are critical and must be auditioned - you will probably struggle to tell the difference between a pair of similarly priced CD players or Amps, but different speakers can completely change the sound you get.

Another common faux pas is to be stingey with the Multi-channel Amp in Home Cinema systems. It is only a single box but it's doing roughly the work of 3 stereo amps, more if you go for 8 or 10 channel system, AND it adds various types of Dolby decoding and whatever other electronic jiggery pokery. Your multi-amp should cost at least 2 or 3 times as much as an equivalent stereo amp.

Obviously you need to make adjustments if you are adding in extras like tuner, mp3 server or recorders, also a screen if you are going the whole hog, but the above gives you a rough basis to start from with the audio parts.

Regarding where to buy from, if you have no scruples, yes you can spend a few hours in the Sevenoaks demo room and then go buy your preferred system on the internet. Personally I think that kinda sucks, and anyway I would prefer to pay the extra 5% or 10% and get the personal after sales service, if needed, that the internet cannot provide.

Good luck and happy listening with whatever you end up with.

Phaedrus.

I have

NAD C320BEE Amp

NAD C521BEE CD deck

JPW ML310 speakers on some mission stands

I got it from Moorgate Acoustics and it sounds great :)

I dont understand why people shop at Richer Sounds, almost half their stock is brands of their own company, Gale, Cambridge Audio... they're owned by Richer Sounds, they're poorly made usually hence why they sell them for cheap and do "great deals"

My friend's on his 3rd Cambridge Audio amp in 2 years... but he assures me that they're good quality he's just been unlucky :loopy: his £200 Gale floorstanding speakers that were an "awesome bargain" are very muddy and sound terrible, but it doesn't really matter all that much to him playing hip-hop and stuff at stupid volumes